Reload this Page >

"American Gothic" Movie in the works

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-28-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He’s been busier than a nymphette at Christmas over the last few years, with roles in those “Brady Bunch” films and guest-spots on series like “The West Wing”, but Gary Cole’s never fit as snugly into a role as he did Sheriff Lucas Buck on TV’s “American Gothic”.

The bad news? Cole’s not likely to do the unavoidable “The Brady Bunch go to Afghanistan” telemovie. The good news? He’s signed to reprise his role as the devilish sheriff for the previously mooted “American Gothic : The Movie”. Heck, how could they have done a movie without the guy!?

Producer Craig Marquardo [“Sway”] says Cole was on board the moment he heard that it was a go picture.

The film – which will be a re-telling of the events of the television series – has also signed original cast members Brenda Bakke, Nick Searcy and Jake Weber. It’s believed many of the other original players – including young Lucas Black, who’s now too old to play the role of the child, Caleb – will be replaced. Sam Raimi is circling the film as a possible directing gig.

The hold up on the film has been the pending sale of Universal to NBC. But according to The Hollywood Reporter, that’s being sorted out as we speak. After several months of exploration, the Federal Trade Commission informed both sides Tuesday that it will not oppose the combination of General Electric's NBC unit and Vivendi Universal's entertainment operation. European regulators had already given the transaction the go-ahead. NBC and Vivendi Uni said in statements late Tuesday that they plan to complete the merger within "the next few weeks."

“American Gothic” aired from September 1995 to July 1996. Executive Prodced by Sam Raimi and Robert G. Tapert and created by Shaun Cassidy, it told the story of a charming small-town Sheriff who seems to be posses a hellish power that’s used on anyone who gets in the way of his plans. It was axed after only one season, but developed quite a following in that short amount of time.

It’s planned that a new season of the series will follow the eventual film.
http://www.moviehole.net/news/3561.html
Old 04-28-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: "American Gothic" Movie in the works

Originally posted by Thrush
It’s believed many of the other original players – including young Lucas Black, who’s now too old to play the role of the child, Caleb – will be replaced.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Lucas was one of the reasons the show was good...

Clone him...NOW!
Old 04-28-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

!!!!!!!!! I fell in love with this show after the first episode, and still am passionate about the series almost a decade after it aired. Cole is onboard, Selena will be back, and good old Ben. Wow! Since the Agency is long gone, hopefully they might get Paige Turco/Gail involved as well.

The only thing I'm not overly happy with is that they aren't going to continue the series. Seeing Caleb as a 22-year old would be a more captivating story for existing fans of the show than a retelling. Lucas Black was Caleb, I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to accept a replacement. As young as Lucas was when he played Caleb, I just can't imagine someone approaching his performance.

But hey, after almost a decade, at least there's finally something happening. I could live with the retelling as long as the new season actually happens, but with a show like this... It's hard to be optimistic with something of this genre in the US.

This might finally get the original series released on DVD!!!! I've been waiting 8 years for this, what incredible news! Someones finally at the door...
Old 04-28-04, 01:16 AM

If it actually happens this time I'll be pleased.
Old 04-28-04, 08:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Fantastic - I'm amazed that they're reincarnating the series after the movie though!
Old 04-28-04, 10:25 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Someone's at the door.

I'm excited about this movie because even if it sucks, it means we'll probably get the original series on DVD.

Hopefully, they'll let Lucas Black and Sarah Paulson make cameos in the movie.
Old 04-28-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the last I remember reading was that they were going to cast the "I see dead people" kid as Caleb for the movie and then recast for the TV series. not the best idea in my book. if they want to recast atleast get someone who will be in both. I'll try to hunt down the link later.
Old 04-28-04, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisHicks
the last I remember reading was that they were going to cast the "I see dead people" kid as Caleb for the movie and then recast for the TV series. not the best idea in my book. if they want to recast atleast get someone who will be in both. I'll try to hunt down the link later.
I remember reading that, but Haley Joel Osment is 16 now, and I doubt this thing will start filming any time soon. Lucas Black was 12 when American Gothic started, so unless they drastically reimagine the role, they'll have to go with someone new. Maybe Jonathan "Jerry Maguire" Lipnicki? Spencer "Cat in the Hat" Breslin?

Spoiler:
OK, I'm just kidding. Seriously, I can't think of anyone I would cast as Caleb. Do a search and find someone who's new to the industry.