Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Klipsch RSX Line Vs. Definitive Technology

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-04, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are moving into a new home next month, and she's tired of my large-speaker set up. I'm going to get rid of all my speakers except for my Polk PSW-120 Subwoofer.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5150 as my receiver.

My wife wants smaller speakers, and I agree, but I don't want to sacrifice any quality. After extensive study (and a very tight budget), it's come down to two brands and set ups. I'd like to hear from you all so you can let me know what would sound best for my two mains, two rears and center channel.

Here are the options:

Klipsch
Fronts RSX5
Rears RSX4
Center RCX4

OR
Definitive Technologies Five Piece Home Theater Speaker Package as seen at www.ultimateelectronics.com

I've heard slightly better things about the Klipsch, but the prices are comparable - what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-04, 12:08 PM

I haven't heard the new Ref. Satellites, but I've read good things about them on the Klipsch Forum. I don't have any personal experience w/ Def. Tech., but Klipsch speakers are pretty bright, so some of it will come down to whether you prefer that or not. Klipsch speakers are also very efficient, so they'll probably be much louder than your current speakers @ the same volume. Just as a first impression, I would say the Klipsch package will sound better (of course all this is relative), I've heard good things about Def. Tech, but w/ Klipsch you get what you pay for and then some. But again, it all comes back to whether you like the sound it produces. Have you listened to them, side-by-side?. I'm sure there will be some naysayers, on Klipsch, though. Good Luck

Last edited by vincew; 04-28-04 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-28-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you. Yes, I've listened to both - not side by side. I was impressed with both systems. Anyone else have any advice?
Old 04-29-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I was over at Tom Nousaine's house (review for S&V) late last year, and we were discussing Definitive speakers since I was in the market for a new 7 channel setup. The gist of the conversation is even though the Definitive speakers sounded wonderful (not too bright, just a bit too warm) and are good priced, their build quality isn't up to what it should be yet.

As for Klipsch... I like my 5.1 setup for my computer, but have never liked their HT speakers. They are extremely too bright for my taste.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-30-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the Klipsch.
Old 04-30-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Flynn
I bought the Klipsch.
Let us know what you think after using them for a bit