Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Infernal Affairs trilogy (which versions to get?)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-25-04, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to pick up the Infernal Affairs trilogy, but I don't which versions to get. Yesasia has all three in a bundle (http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/). Are those releases any good? How about the Starmax releases? Are the extras subbed on any of the releases? Also, is there any news of a boxset coming out? Thanks.
Old 04-25-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just saw the official China release of the trilogy that comes in a cool metal box... anybody have any info on them?

hope they are not boots...
Old 04-26-04, 12:30 AM

Box set? You got any pictures or a link?
Old 04-26-04, 12:00 PM

Starmax's r3k release of INFERNAL AFFAIRS is better than Media Asia's r3hk since the latter has incorrect flags which result in severe combing/throbbing backgrounds issues on progressive sets. Thankfully MA cleaned up their act for the second part in the series. BTW, the Starmax set of the first movie also comes with a cut film strip and a bonus photoshoot extra not found on the HK set, so these are additional incentives to spend more.

So I would buy:

INFERNAL AFFAIRS: Starmax r3k
INFERNAL AFFAIRS II: Media Asia r3hk
INFERNAL AFFAIRS III: n/a

The problem with IA III is an sync bug that mistimes the audio by about a half-second. I haven't been keeping up with DVD releases lately to be honest so I don't know if this has been corrected in later pressings. Perhaps others can chime in on this flaw.
Old 04-26-04, 12:29 PM
BabyBuddha

Some of the extras on the Media Asia release of IA II are subtitled. The 'making of' featurette certainly is, and it's pretty interesting.

It's true about the sync problem on IA III on the Media Asia release. However, I read somewhere that the problem also existed in theaters, which sounds odd to say the least. It's a bit annoying, but I so badly wanted to see the final chapter. But then again, it was only $11 so why not.

I haven't looked at the extras yet, so I can't say if they are subtitled.
Old 04-26-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In regards to IA III it seems all DVD releases suffer from audio sync problems as mentioned ny BabyBuddha.
Old 04-26-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by wuken
Starmax's r3k release of INFERNAL AFFAIRS is better than Media Asia's r3hk since the latter has incorrect flags which result in severe combing/throbbing backgrounds issues on progressive sets.
This is only a problem is you have a DVD player with a cheap flag-reading deinterlacing chip. Since these HK discs are Region 0 coded, they will work in any American DVD player. The picture will be perfectly stable on any model with motion-adaptive pulldown.

There's really no excuse for using a flag-reading player if you can help it.