Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD player bought the farm, need help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey. Long time lurker, first time poster. Here's the issue:

I bought a home theatre in a box a couple of years ago. Nothing good, just a 100 watt RCA set with 6 speakers for a couple of hundred bucks. Well, the damn thing crapped out tonight. Here's the issue, money is tight, with a capital T.

Here's what I want to do: I want to buy a replacement DVD player that will allow me to use the surround sound speakers that I've already got. I've looked online, but it's hard to tell what ones, if any, would work for what I want to do. My budget is pretty limited. I really couldn't go more than 100 bucks, and even that is going to hurt. Anyone have any advice? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dubby
Old 04-21-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If your current stereo has a coax or optical sound input that can feed the onboard decoders then any of the stand alone DVD players you buy will work with it.
Old 04-21-04, 10:19 PM

Thanks Chip. Unfortunatly, the DVD player was my stereo, so now that it's gone, all I've got are the speakers. No receiver, no nothing. The more I look on the net, the more I realize that without a receiver, I've got nothing to work with. Is my best (cheapest) bet to buy a cheap box set at Wally mart and just hook my speakers up to the sets DVD player?
Old 04-21-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like your HTIB was a dvd player/receiver all in one unit. Since it's toast, all you've got are 6 speakers to work with. You can either buy a new player and a receiver, or you can go with a home theater in a box product like the one you had that just died. Keep in mind, the old speakers may not work with the new system as HTIBs often have proprietary connectors for the speakers.
Old 04-21-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dubby
Thanks Chip. Unfortunatly, the DVD player was my stereo, so now that it's gone, all I've got are the speakers. No receiver, no nothing. The more I look on the net, the more I realize that without a receiver, I've got nothing to work with. Is my best (cheapest) bet to buy a cheap box set at Wally mart and just hook my speakers up to the sets DVD player?
Sorry i thoughtt you meant that the player died but the stereo portion still worked. Just like was said above you can either get another HTIB or get a new player and receiver to keep usingthe current speakers. As far as i know there are no players that have an amp built in to just use the speakers you have.
Old 04-22-04, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. It looks like I'll be buying a cheapo HTIB and cross my fingers that it'll last for awhile. If anyone can recommend a product, I'd be grateful.
Old 04-22-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a link to the HTIB forum at AVS. Lots of good information there as far as recommendations and such.

Good luck!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...s=&forumid=109
Old 04-22-04, 11:09 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks!