Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Prince/O+> songs

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Worst Prince/O+> songs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Worst Prince/O+> songs

I love Prince, but even I have my standards. Can anyone (fan or otherwise) truly say they like -

DIAMONDS AND PEARLS - Some of his most trite lyrics ever. Can't stand the phrase, "would you be a happy boy or a girl?"

PUSH IT UP - Just awful.

LEMON CRUSH - Monotonous.

THE SUN, MOON AND STARS - A great song tuined by that fake reggae rap at the end.

NEW POWER GENERATION - Self-important lyrics and bad melody.

I ROCK, THEREFORE I AM - Jeezus, god!

CONDITION OF THE HEART - Is this song supposed to be ironic or satirical in its overwrought lyrics?

3 CHAINS OF GOLD - Piss poor imitation of BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
Old 04-21-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I kinda like New Power Generation and Condition Of The Heart. I never cared for any of the hip-hoppy junk he has put out over the last few years.
Old 04-21-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22 year fan here. I can say I truly like Condition Of the Heart.

While I agree with your comment about the Sun, Moon And Stars, here's a tip...Cool Edit works WONDERS.

Here's my list of songs I don't necessarily care for..

U Got the Look
Jughead
Push It Up
Freaks On This Side
I Like Funky Music
the Rainbow Children - the WHOLE thing. Actually, the music is pretty good, I just don't care for the lyrics.

Now, with Prince's stuff, I wouldn't say they're the "worst" [since we all know his "worst" is better than most other's "best"], and while I don't really like them, i'd still listen to them.

HOWEVER...there is ONE song of his that I ALWAYS skip when it comes on...that honour goes to Right the Wrong. Ugh.
Old 04-21-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Rogue - I've been a Prince fan since 1982 also, and I completely agree with you and forgot about RIGHT THE WRONG. The chorus is so bad, that it makes your jaw drop.

THE RAINBOW CHILDREN was the first Prince album that I never bothered to listen to all the way through.

PARADE and THE GOLD EXPERIENCE remain my favorites.

Another bad Prince song is I LOVE U IN ME, which people seem to like better than THE ARMS OF ORION (which was the "A" side). The opening notes sound too much like Berlin's/Jessica Simpson's TAKE MY BREATH AWAY.

Also don't like SLEEP AROUND from EMANCIPATION.
Old 04-21-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rainbow Children is a cd I can't give away. But there are a lot of his cd's I have never listened to, such as the Gold Experience and Crystal Ball.
Old 04-22-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, but the bottom-of-the-barrel, absolute-worst Prince tune is "Grafitti Bridge."

Horrid, treacly garbage.

Followed closely by every song on "The Rainbow Children."
Old 04-22-04, 11:31 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually like Lemon Crush, Condition of the Heart, and New Power Generation.. they're not my favorites, but i still dig them. Off the top of my head some of the ones I really DON'T like:

We March
Jughead
Solo
Right the Wrong
Race

Lots of generic sounding stuff from Emancipation & beyond as well that I can't remember... I have to update when I get home and can relisten to my collection
Old 04-25-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
The only song that comes to mind that Prince did that I can't stand is "3 chains o gold" Everything else is golden.
Old 04-25-04, 11:44 AM

I was thinking about this...

Yeah, I've been a fan for awhile. I first heard "Sign "O" the Times" when I was 15, and was completely blown away. Fan since. I've been trying to complete my collection over the little while. I have every album starting at 1999 up to "Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic." "Crystal Ball" should be arriving soon. Just bought it off Ebay.

Anyway, I just bought tickets to his Toronto show, and since Friday April 16, I've been listening to nothing but Prince / O(+>. It's been good, haven't gotten bored yet, since his music keeps changing, I can always find something to suit my mood. Having said that, I have consistently skipped:

Diamonds and Pearls: gotta agree with DieselsDen, "would you be a happy boy or a girl" makes me want drive a spike through my head;

The Most Beautiful Girl in the World: "you're the reason God made a girl" drives me batty for some reason. To tell the truth, I haven't even put this on my iPod, because I can't stand it.

Dolphin: Ugh.

Having said that, I discovered my copy of "1999" and I had never listened to parts of it before, same for "Lovesexy" because the one track thing bothers me. (You can see me complain about this in the tech forum of dvdtalk.). Just want to say, "Let's Pretend We're Married" rocks!!!!!!
Old 04-25-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: I was thinking about this...

Originally posted by Laertes
Dolphin: Ugh.

Having said that, I discovered my copy of "1999" and I had never listened to parts of it before, same for "Lovesexy" because the one track thing bothers me. (You can see me complain about this in the tech forum of dvdtalk.). Just want to say, "Let's Pretend We're Married" rocks!!!!!!
I like his guitar work on Dolphin.

And, I haven't come across your Tech Forum rant, but just so you know, there are "tracked" versions of Lovesexy out there. I own two.
Old 04-25-04, 01:37 PM

Lovesexy

Where did you get the tracked version from? I saw one for sale on Ebay, a German import. I didn't feel like spending that much money. Are either of yours a domestic version?

I'll give Dolphin another try. It's been awhile since I listened to it, but the lyrics were bothering me.
Old 04-25-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've seen 'em on eBay too.

Mine are promotional DJ copies.

Of course, with Cool Edit or Adobe Audition you could make your own.

I DO understand what he was trying to do with the whole "one long track" thing though..

[But I admit it did piss the hell outta me back in '88..]
Old 04-26-04, 08:13 AM

Yeah, I was just telling a friend how I "get" what he was doing with the one track thing, but it pissed me off.

I made my own tracked version in a really difficult way so I could have the individual songs shuffle play in my iPod. I'll refer you once again to my tech rant if you want to see how I did it. I did it on Friday, and it took about 3 hours.