Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who are your BOTTOM THREE tonight?
Please select for your BOTTOM THREE
7.14%
Fantasia Barrino
22.62%
Diana DeGarmo
52.38%
Jennifer Hudson
29.76%
George Huff
46.43%
LaToya London
10.71%
John Stevens
72.62%
Jasmine Trias
29.76%
twikoff writes the songs
5.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/20/04 - "Music of Barry Manilow"

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Goldberg74 •

BTW: What did Paula do to her arm?
Too many touchdowns.

das
Old 04-20-04, 09:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I was hoping that John would forget the lyrics again tonight:

Oh Andy, you came in my face without asking...
Old 04-20-04, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon as the show ended...I called to vote for George...and then tried again and again and couldn''t get through anymore.
Old 04-20-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I was hoping that John would forget the lyrics again tonight:

Oh Andy, you came in my face without asking...
Old 04-20-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At the Copa... Copacabana....
The hottest spot north of Atlanta.

http://www.kissthisguy.com/archive/lyric.1472.html
Old 04-20-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I'm a little worried about George. He seemed so automatic. Then last week he belts out a so-so effort. This week he was down-right terrible and made my bottom 3 (even though I am still rooting for him). I hope he survives but he definitely deserves the bottom 3 this week. He might just end up being the odd man out. My, how far he has fallen so quickly.

Fantasia also made my bottom 3. Last week I thought she was the best one. This week she returned to the Chris Tucker sound I know and hate. And she made up for last week with several variations of the "yeah, yeah, yeaaah". She did kind of take over JPL's role of "the entertainer", though.

The last of my bottom 3 was good 'ol Opie. While I think he has been better the last couple of weeks, he still can't make up for all the cringe-worthy performances earlier on. He never has risen above a plain mediocre effort. For that, he deserves to go this week. Diana makes honorable mention as I also thought she was flat in places.

I thought Latoya was the best this week and agree with Simon that she will likely win the competition.
Old 04-20-04, 10:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

they should do a PRINCE night. I want to hear the redhead sing HEAD.
Old 04-20-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

George, Jennifer, John and Fantasia were the 4 worst.
The others were much better.
Old 04-20-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
wow, thank god I don't watch that Swan show on Fox. Those chicks were fugly even after their plastic surgery.
Old 04-20-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was unfair that Fantasia had her family shown in the back and was able to bring her child out on stage. None of the other singers had the baby vote advantage.

And it was unfair that Simon told John that he looked like "Stanley".
Old 04-20-04, 11:06 PM

I agree with the people who weren't so impressed by Fantasia. She didn't energize me at all, and the yeah,yeah,yeahing always brings her down from a 6/7/8 to a 4/5/6 for me.

LaToya should win, Jennifer should stick around for the final three because she is technically better than everyone who is not an African-American female - though she hasn't moved me once.
I guess Fantasia is my other choice for the top three, though I really wish Jasmine could hold those long notes and make those transitions without cracking, because she is the only person besides LaToya that I personally like and would be really happy for. (and she's nice to look at)
Old 04-20-04, 11:08 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
Next Week: The Captain and Tennille! They're all gonna sing the same song!

Just kidding...

Having the last name Dragon would be so cool!
Old 04-20-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My bottom three this week...

George because he's really slipping the last couple of weeks and needs to snap out of it.

Opie because he just can't cut it vocally. He had a big chance to end Mandy with the big YOOOU at the end but wimped out while making a forlorn face while extending his hand dramatically.

Jasmine beacsue she was all over with bad notes after an okay start and just didn't hold up to the others.

Who should go....

Opie. Time to go fishing with Pa.
Old 04-20-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I hated Fantasia the first time she was around -- back when everyone called her "Macy Gray". I hate her even more now. When she was talking tonight, I couldn't understand a god damn word she said. Chris Tucker's long lost twin sister she definitely is.

This competition is LaToya's to lose.
Old 04-20-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
wow, thank god I don't watch that Swan show on Fox. Those chicks were fugly even after their plastic surgery.
That's just what I thought when I saw those dogs. I thought they were the "before" shots.

George was the worst of the lot tonight. Simon called it a mess, and it was. He sounded ridiculous.

Fantasia was any revival meet at any church in the country. Shouting with no melody. I wonder if bringing out her bastard child will lose her any votes.

John was the best I've seen him since his initial audition, but it's still no good. What was with the corny reaching out at the end of the song?
Old 04-20-04, 11:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Analogy

FINGERNAILS: CHALKBOARD

A) FANTASIA: SINGING

A, final answer. You are correct for 10 million dollars!
Old 04-21-04, 12:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I thought it was unfair that Fantasia had her family shown in the back and was able to bring her child out on stage. None of the other singers had the baby vote advantage.
What I find odd is that they boot people left and right for "morality" but they still allow an unwed teenage mother on the show.
Old 04-21-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
What I find odd is that they boot people left and right for "morality" but they still allow an unwed teenage mother on the show.
Whore!
Old 04-21-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And it was unfair that Simon told John that he looked like "Stanley".
Considering the remark he made about the the pink-haired girl looking like Jay Leno, I don't. As if it mattered. Big Red had no idea who Stanley was. Laurel and Hardy didn't ring a bell either. LOL Yeah, I know he's young but still....

I think George was quite good. I tried to vote for him too but couldn't. Maybe his supporters are going crazy calling because everyone but Paula was less than overcome with his performance.

Jennifer is good until she goes into the high notes for me. The gospelness hits you over your head like a jackhammer.

Jasmine is great with the soft, subtle parts of a song.

LaToya has a great set of pipes but I wasn't moved by the song.

Diana was good. That's all I can think of. Same for Fantasia.

Big Red showed some small improvement. He actually sang something with a 'little' feeling. But that simply isn't enough. And if he is on this show for another week, it'll be a shame.

Barry Manilow did a great job. Not only did he encourage and support them, he essentially produced and arranged the songs for each of them.
Old 04-21-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought George sounded like he was sick, and his voice was scratchier than normal. The look on his face right after he finished was like he knew he blew it.

The more I watch this bunch, their little mannerisms are starting to grate on me. Except for LaToya, who seems most mannerism-free.
Old 04-21-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
You should see what they look like berfore. One of the chicks they showed actually had to shave her face daily. Not her mustache, her entire face.

I'm sad to say I actually saw the last episode for some reason.
Old 04-21-04, 08:09 AM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts
... And it was unfair that Simon told John that he looked like "Stanley".
The part that had me worried was when he looked at the judges and muttered, "Who's Stanley Laurel?"

This generation sucks...
Old 04-21-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love Fantasia and would love to see her win, I don't see that happening, but I'd still love it.

Next, LaToya and Jennifer.

But at this point it looks like LaToya has a shot. She's a wonderful singer but I'm so tired of the wonderfully voiced diva, don't we have enough of those already? Bored to tears.

I could shout a song for you, but I wouldn't sound good. IMHO Fantasia does have a melodious voice and it's different.
Old 04-21-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't recognize half of the songs sung last night. I wished they would have picked less obscure song.

Diana - range is a problem as she just gets louder, not higher when she needs to kick it in another gear.

George - horrible rendition, got lost in the song, was too ambitious with the melody, voice too too gravelly.

Jennifer - still just sings too low for my tastes, it's like she's singing at a low growl for the first part of the songs and then she goes louder as well, but her upper registers aren't that great either.

Jasmine - sounded better, but destroyed the melody of that song as well, and did get out of breath.

La Toya - has a knack of picking boring songs to sing, and this week was no exception. She's competent, but I don't sense a fire burning from within her.

John - gave it a shot, but just too inexperienced to impart that song with any form of sincerity and true grit.

Fantasia - has a problem with her voice cracking and getting far too raspy and George-like, makes for an unpleasant listening experience in spots. Just because you can work a crowd doesn't mean you can put out a good performance in the studio.
Old 04-21-04, 08:55 AM

As much as I thought George was worse than Red last night, I think it's time for John to go, before he embarrasses himself next week on "salsa night".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.