Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

One more tivo question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more tivo question...

Should I get the extended 4 year warranty, and second should I go monthly subscription or lifetime? Just hoping for some advice from some people who have had Tivos for awhile now. Thank you again in advance.
Old 04-20-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it takes 23 months for the lifetime to pay for itself. The long run is up to you. After two years it will pay for itself. Thats a decision you'd have to make. I personally wouldn't worry about the warranty. But thats another personal choice.
Old 04-20-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see much point in a warranty. It's pretty much just a computer and I don't know too many people with an extended warranty on their computers.

I can't see any reason not to go lifetime other than the upfront cost. Going lifetime avoids any future price-increases and greatly improves your chances of selling it on eBay (if you want to upgrade, for example).
Old 04-20-04, 02:55 PM

If you plan on upgrading the hard drive, an extended warranty is a waste as the warranty is voided as soon as you crack open the box.
Old 04-20-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I wouldn't buy a warranty. Here's my thinking. The Tivos on the market won't exactly become obsolete, but they won't be very valuable in a few years when HD is the standard and so is the HDTivo.

Standalone Tivos with a lifetime subscription are selling for a ton of money on ebay right now. I plan to sell mine soon on there, since the HDTivos are debuting this month, and can only get cheaper.
Old 04-20-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that people sell Tivos with lifetime subscriptions but I read somewhere on the Tivo website that the subscriptions aren't transferable. Have they changed their policy?
Old 04-20-04, 03:46 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by big whoppa
I know that people sell Tivos with lifetime subscriptions but I read somewhere on the Tivo website that the subscriptions aren't transferable. Have they changed their policy?
I believe that the policy is that a lifetime subscription isn't transferable to another unit. I.e., if you have a 40-hour unit with lifetime then buy a new 80-hour unit, you can't transfer the lifetime subscription from the old unit to the new unit. You CAN, however, sell the 40-hour unit with lifetime to someone else via eBay or whatever. ReplayTV has the same policy BTW.