Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Father of the Pride" -Siegfried & Roy cartoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Father of the Pride" -Siegfried & Roy cartoon

This must have been in production since before Roy was mauled. It's from a press release:

In the tradition of classic primetime animated series like “The Simpsons” and “King Of The Hill” comes a new, highly anticipated CGI-animated comedy series from DreamWorks Television and DreamWorks Animation, producers of the smash hit, "Shrek", premiering this fall on NBC. Set in Las Vegas , "Father of the Pride" goes beyond the bright lights and glitz of the iconic "Siegfried & Roy" show to the off-stage antics and the suburban life of the show’s dysfunctional family of performing white lions. _ Featuring CGI versions of Siegfried & Roy the series centers on the family life of Larry, a down-to-earth, hard working lion that somehow fell into a life of _ show business and his relationships with his loving wife, taunting headlining father-in-law, teenage kids and his wacky bunch of friends. "Father of the Pride" will be the first prime-time television show with feature film-quality CGI animation and incorporates much of the cheeky, edgy and ironic humor that proved so popular in the DreamWorks hit, "Shrek. "Father of the Pride" features the voice talents of John Goodman ("Roseanne"), Cheryl Hines ("Curb Your Enthusiasm"), Carl Reiner (“Ocean’s Eleven”), Orlando Jones ("Drumline"), John O'Hurley ("Seinfeld"), and Wendie Malick, ("Just Shoot Me”).
...can it work?
Old 04-20-04, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it's been in production a long time. The thread talking about it is a year old
Old 04-20-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
maybe they can work the mauling into the show.....
Old 08-25-04, 10:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Giving this a bump since this is about to premiere next week. Any buzz on it?

This looks like something my 3-year-old would really enjoy, but on my TiVo it says it's TV-14 (without saying why). Guess I'll have to screen it before showing it to her.

"Daddy, why is Monticore trying to eat that man?"
Old 08-25-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Giving this a bump since this is about to premiere next week. Any buzz on it?

This looks like something my 3-year-old would really enjoy, but on my TiVo it says it's TV-14 (without saying why). Guess I'll have to screen it before showing it to her.

"Daddy, why is Monticore trying to eat that man?"
NBC is promoting this as an adult comedy in the ads. I'd imagine sex/adult type humor.
Old 08-25-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I read a review of the pilot/first episode somewhere (Aint It Cool?) that said it was suprisingly funny and well done, and doesn't pander at ALL to S&R...in fact, it mercilessly made fun of them.

I might check it out.
Old 08-26-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm there.
Old 08-31-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone else watching this??? very good...similar to Shrek (same producers).. lots of adult jokes
Old 08-31-04, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I thought it was totally devoid of funny. I chuckled maybe once, otherwise I thought it stunk.

The animation had a bit of problems- if you were lucky enough to catch this in HD you could tell the shadows were a bit off.
Old 08-31-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awful
Old 08-31-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not even worth one chuckle. This should be off the air in a couple weeks, if it lasts that long.

The animation had a bit of problems- if you were lucky enough to catch this in HD you could tell the shadows were a bit off.
I don't have HD and could tell that. Why do people with HD TVs think the rest of us can't see this stuff? As if regular TV is just pure crap that makes everything look like mud? Give me a break. If I didn't know better, I would almost think this comment is a bit snobbish.

Last edited by calhoun07; 08-31-04 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-31-04, 08:36 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I just didn't think that sort of thing would be noticable on normal TV.

I'm not quite sure what's there to take offense at. If you "knew better" why mention it at all?
Old 08-31-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I wasn't particularly impressed with the episode. I'll give it a few more tries before dropping it completely but there wasn't much to laugh at.
Old 08-31-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it. I was expecting it to be lame, but it got me.
Old 08-31-04, 09:42 PM

It was okay and I'll give it a couple more views probably. I'm glad I recorded it, though, or I would have missed the first minute of the much-more-important Scrubs since it started early and I wasn't watching live!

Steph
Old 08-31-04, 10:09 PM

Disappointing, I thought.

But I'll watch it a few more times and see what happens
Old 08-31-04, 10:35 PM

Was it just me? Did anyone else jump everytime the Cheryl Hines lion said "Larry"? I swear, that sucked me completely out of whatever suspension of belief I had, it was bizarre.
Old 08-31-04, 10:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by BabiG
Was it just me? Did anyone else jump everytime the Cheryl Hines lion said "Larry"? I swear, that sucked me completely out of whatever suspension of belief I had, it was bizarre.
I thought the same thing

Carl Reiner's character was decnt, but that's about it.
Old 08-31-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely not Shrek caliber material here. The fact that they kept promoting this as being from the creators of Shrek was the only thing that had me looking forward to it. Way too many stupid sex jokes. Seems like they are going for the 13 year old crowd.

I'll give it another chance since I think the panda story is basically over, but so far no good.
Old 08-31-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
During every promo I kept thinking.. that looks decent... until they showed Sigfried & Roy. Then interest drops to 0. I'm betting it will be the first casualty of the season.
Old 08-31-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The animation is sub-par imo. The Girl panda seems to most acted out. I also thought the character designs were a little weak.

I was kinda surprised at all the adult humor. I'm just not use to seeing it in animation. Some parts were funny to me because of this. The audience its directed towards obviously isn't the same as a family/child Pixar film.
Old 09-01-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

eh it was ok I guess.. Not too fair to judge off just one ep, after all I call foul when networks do that and can a show after a few eps so only fair to give a show a shot..

that being said, it has some funny lines in it but other then that I did not see any thing all that humorous with in the show. Almost felt like I was working at watching the show, looking to talk myself into liking it. Ya know, Vs say Tripping the Rift or Futurama where I just really enjoyed the shows 5 min into the first eps I ever saw...

As for the animation of Father of the Pride it seems a big chunky but odds are that is just the jaded fan talking as I have seen so many of these cgi cartoon movies and shows the last few years.. I don't think it's bad but they hyped it to the level where I was expecting Monster Inc sort of fur on the lions.. Eh but again, that is being nit picky and not fair to judge Father of the Pride against a $$$ film..

I'll watch a few more eps of course but I would not be shocked if it was not around as a show for too long..
Old 09-01-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was pretty awful, but I'll give it a couple more chances. My fear is they spent 99% of their time on the animation and celebrity voices and 1% on jokes. Given how long this has been in production, how could that have been the best script they had?

It will last at least as long as it takes for them to burn through their guest stars.
Old 09-01-04, 08:27 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
Carl Reiner's character was decent, but that's about it.
That's about right.

Alot of the jokes were forced, and I found S&R just plain creepy (and ecentric).

It's on my Season Pass and I'll give it a few more eps to see if I might drop it.

The white-trash oragutang was funny.
Old 09-01-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
I was bored 10 minutes into it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.