Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Monster's Connected Equipment Guarantee

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-19-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This question involves the following two products:
1. Monster's HTS1000 ( http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=1901 ): This is a typical Monster surge protector, and it comes with a $250,000 connected equipment guarantee.
2. Monster's SW 200 ( http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...r.asp?pin=1218 ): This device is designed to plug-in a remotely located subwoofer. It comes with a $50,000 connected equipment guarantee.

The HTS1000's warranty information says the connected equipment warranty is invalid if "if any wire (phone, coax, or AC), or audio or video interconnect leading into the equipment comes from a component that is not properly protected by the Monster PowerCenter." I'm assuming the SW 200 contains a similar clause.

Here's my question:

Is there even any way to use the SW 200 without voiding the warranty for one or both systems? Assume you have the following basic setup:
1 TV, plugged into the HTS1000
1 Receiver, plugged into HTS1000
5 Speakers, plugged directly into the receiver.
All coaxial/telephone/etc. cables plugged into the HTS1000

Now, if you wanted to add a powered sub to the mix, I know you can plug it into the HTS1000 and still be covered. That's fine if you have your sub setup next to the rest of your equipment, or if you want to run a long extension cord. For the rest of us, it's a problem to figure out how to connect a sub to the rest of our system.

I'm assuming the SW 200 was made with precisely that problem in mind.* Let's say I hook the SW 200 up to a different outlet, and then I hook the sub up to the SW 200. Now both ends of my system are protected by Monster products, but that leaves open the question of what sort of coverage that brings. If lightning hits my house and ruins my TV, what stops Monster from saying the HTS1000's warranty is invalid because some of my equipment was plugged into the SW 200, and the SW 200's warranty is invalid because some of my stuff was plugged into the HTS1000. And even if one of the warranties stays in effect, which one would it be? The $50,000, the $250,000, or both?

*: I say this because Monster's plug for the SW 200 reads as follows: "Your subwoofer is probably placed too far away from your main system to plug into a surge plug strip. Why use another plug strip just for a subwoofer when you can just plug into a nearby wall outlet, right? Well, consider this. If a power surge strikes and your subwoofer is unprotected, it may cause some serious damage not only to the sub, but your entire home theater. The surge can also travel unimpeded from the subwoofer to your other home theater components, via their interconnect cables."

and

"With SW200, you can place your subwoofer away from your main system and always have the best possible performance and surge protection."

Last edited by CaptainMarvel, Esq.; 04-19-04 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good question. I don't see how they could not honor the warranty if their surge protectors are protecting your entire system and they fail. Either way, one of them failed. For my system, I would be totally covered even with the lesser $50,000 and I suspect most people would be.

What made you look at that particular protector? I am in the market for a surge protector and can't decide on what to get. I have seen the HTS1000 for $150ish but why wouldn't their AV800 Product Link for $50ish do the job. It comes with a $25,000 warranty which again would more than cover my equipment.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-20-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Monster has better marketing. Esp. at the retailer level. Plus lots of pseudo-scientific buzzwords to scare/persuade people that they *need* Monster products. And convince consumers they can actually hear or see a diffference. (Scientific analysis strongly indicates otherwise.)

Well, you *did* ask.... $^)
Old 04-20-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those who care, this is the e-mail response I got back today:
The need to account for room acoustics and possibly place the subwoofer on a separate wall outlet was the driving force behind the SW200. To accomplish this without compromising protection, the SW200 is equipped to isolate the AC power and the line level signal of the subwoofer from the rest of the system. This basically creates 2 separate zones of protection.

Subsequently, the subwoofer is covered by the Limited Connected
Equipment Warranty of the SW200, the other components by the Limited Connected Equipment Warranty of the HTS1000.

Sincerely,

Rob Tapia
Warranty Claims Administrator
Monster Cable Products
Which warranty I'd be covered under is purely academic (since either $50,000 or $250,000 would both be more than enough to totally replace all my equipment).
Old 04-20-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cajun_junky
Good question. I don't see how they could not honor the warranty if their surge protectors are protecting your entire system and they fail. Either way, one of them failed. For my system, I would be totally covered even with the lesser $50,000 and I suspect most people would be.

What made you look at that particular protector? I am in the market for a surge protector and can't decide on what to get. I have seen the HTS1000 for $150ish but why wouldn't their AV800 Product Link for $50ish do the job. It comes with a $25,000 warranty which again would more than cover my equipment.

Any thoughts?
I needed phone line protection, for one thing... I'm still running a TiVo series 1, which uses the phone to download updates. I also got a good deal on the HTS1000.

Almost any manufacturer's warranty will be sufficient to cover my equipment costs. The difference is, Monster tries desparately to maintain their image among consumers. If my equipment was damaged, I feel I'd have much better chances getting my equipment replaced by raising a stink if I went with Monster's stuff than with a no-name brand that doesn't worry about their image.
Old 04-21-04, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anyone out there that has actually gotten Monster or any of the other surge protection units' manufacturers to pay out for damaged systems under the warranty?
Old 04-21-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by spankasmurf
Is there anyone out there that has actually gotten Monster or any of the other surge protection units' manufacturers to pay out for damaged systems under the warranty?
A friend of mine has, and I remember reading several other stories from people who haven't had any problems.
Old 04-22-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally posted by spankasmurf
When I was a PC tech years ago, helped dozens of clients with reimbursements from Monster, APC, Tripp-Lite, etc after lightning got through the surge arrestors and fried their stuff. Yes, they do pay, but only if you have complete documentation (all receipts on hand, filled out and mailed in the registration card after making a copy) will the procedure be painless.