Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Hollywood Video Price Changes (again!)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Hollywood Video (starting tomorrow) is changing their price structure again. I don't know if it is company wide or a test, but those of you (particularly in the midwest) who have enjoyed Hollywood's rentals for as little as 99 cents for five days will see a return of the $3.79 five day rental. They are eliminating the $1 early return credit and experimenting with one day 99 cent rentals.

In my tenure with Hollywood one of the key selling points on that companies rental program was that everything was 5 days, unlike competitors where different movies were due different days. Once again Hollywood attacks one of the principles that worked best for it.

Old 04-19-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It started yesterday in Chicago. I went to rent Kill Bill - $3.79. They still had the $1 rental credit though.

First, the store had 99 cent rentals
Then Rent 1, Get 1 Free
Now This.

It seemed like when they had the .99 rentals, they weren't getting any new stock in except for guaranteed releases. For example, Schindler's List they had 2 copies.
Old 04-19-04, 03:26 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kind of like the 99 cent 1 day rental. The only time I'd ever go there was when I got the rent up to 3 movies for 99 cents apiece deal, and I never got the $1 credit as I'd weight until watching all 3 to return them as the store's not on my way to work or anything.

Otherwise I just rent at the store right beside my apt where I can walk over and always get rent 2 get 1 free, and currently rent 1 get one free.

But for 99 cents a pop, I'd go to hollywood more when I only had time to watch one movie.
Old 04-19-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i havent rented from Hollywood since they raised the prices on catalog movies from 99 cents to 2.49. if they offer one day rentals for 99 cents i would definately go back.

i still dont understand why they dont discount catalog DVDs. i refuse to pay full price for an old DVD.
Old 04-20-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scarredgod . . . love the sig! Please post something in here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=Kill+Bill
Old 04-20-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the $0.99 ride at the south 6th street store is over?

Oh well, I saw pretty much all I could from them by now, they had some good documentaries and foreign films that I can't get at Shop & Save ($0.99 rentals), or Family Video (2 for $2, but only one can be a new release).

Speaking of which, are you at Family Video now? Which one?
Old 04-21-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You guys had it good. In Portland, all of the stores I've been to have always been $3.79 a DVD w/ a $1 next day credit on guaranteed in stock titles. Never had .99 rentals here on DVD titles, and this is their home turf.
Old 04-29-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nothing like that in our store, which has always been 3.79, however, old games(26 days and older) are going to 10 day rentals, which is pretty cool.
Old 05-01-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just in the south 6th street Hollywood Video today, still 99 cents for 5 days. A week ago I had asked the manager if they werer going to be raising their prices soon (after I saw this thread), he said he was unaware of any price changes for his store, and that they were one of only 14 Hollywood Video stores in the US with 99 cent rentals.

Let's see, tonight I picked up Osama, some Jack Nickelson movie (the recent one), and Gothica.
Old 05-01-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's been a few years since I last visited HV, but the key selling point for me was the 5 day rental. I could pick up a new release on Tuesday, and then watch it over the weekend.

Now everything is Netflix.
Old 05-01-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never really understood the big deal with multiple day rentals, other than making it more convenient to return. I never think to myself on Tuesday "Hey, I feel like watching a movie in 4 days, let me go get it now!".
Old 05-02-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jeraden
I never really understood the big deal with multiple day rentals, other than making it more convenient to return. I never think to myself on Tuesday "Hey, I feel like watching a movie in 4 days, let me go get it now!".
Actually, you would be surprised the number of people who come in on Tuesday to get the new releases for weekend viewing. I was.
Old 05-03-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Multiple day rentals is also nice if you are going out of town to visit somebody for the weekend, rent it on a Thursday, leave Friday, watch it sometime over the weekend and return it by Tuesday.

Though I've always thought that video stores used multiple day rentals in hopes of "catching" people with late fees, since the renters may become confused as to when it was actually due, or forget tha they rented the movie, etc.
Old 05-04-04, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Heat
Though I've always thought that video stores used multiple day rentals in hopes of "catching" people with late fees, since the renters may become confused as to when it was actually due, or forget tha they rented the movie, etc.
That sounds logical to me.