Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rarovideo's Jodorowsky Box R2 Italy

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-19-04, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked them about this set and here is the answer:

"The JODOROWSKY DVD box set containing EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN will be released today and available to purchase on line from our website from this evening.

As with the previous releases of EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, the box set will contain the interview with the film critic Massimo Monteleone. Also included in the box set is a 64 page bilingual English/Italian book. The digital restoration has been carried out using DRS software produced by MTI - as a result the quality is higher and images less faded."
Old 04-19-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does Rarovideo ship to the US? and what is the estimated amount for this release?
Old 04-19-04, 10:54 AM

The price should be around 50 euros.
I don't know if they ship to US.
Old 04-19-04, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Badmutha
The price should be around 50 euros.
I don't know if they ship to US.
Thanks.

Is this only going to be available through them or will it be available through other sites (here in US like xploited, or overseas)?
Old 04-19-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...SEARCH is your friend... really!

. . . . . .
Old 04-19-04, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...SEARCH is your friend... really!

. . . . . .
Really? Then how come this release we are talking about isn't on that page? . . . . . .

The double pack on xploited is just the two existing releases packed together.

READING is your friend...really!
Old 04-19-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ooohh... I'm sooo sorry!!!...

sheesh!

. . . . . .
Old 04-19-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rarovideo's Jodorowsky Box R2 Italy

Originally posted by Badmutha
The digital restoration has been carried out using DRS software produced by MTI - as a result the quality is higher and images less faded."
And more than likely uncensored... unlike the recent Japanese releases.

If Xploited are showing the previous Italian editions i think it's fair to assume there is an excellent chance of them stocking the new editions in the future.

To the OP...thanks for drawing my attention to the website...another release that interests me is the Tsukamoto Trilogy which i'll keep an eye on.
Old 04-19-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
Does Rarovideo ship to the US? and what is the estimated amount for this release?
Went to the website and on the Forum this was what was posted by the administrator :-

The EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN box set will cost (Euro) €50. Shipping costs to the U.S are €6,50 for registered air mail(15/20 days) and €26,00 for fedex(3/4 days).
Old 04-19-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
The digital restoration has been carried out using DRS software produced by MTI - as a result the quality is higher and images less faded."
Does this mean that the DVDs in this new boxset supposed to contain new, improved transfers compared to Raro's original releases of these films? If so, I'll have to pick this up.
Old 04-19-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was recently looking at picking up some of Jodorwsky's work, glad to see I waited. This sounds like a good set.
Old 04-19-04, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by cultshock
Does this mean that the DVDs in this new boxset supposed to contain new, improved transfers compared to Raro's original releases of these films? If so, I'll have to pick this up.
That is what I am taking it to mean. 76 euros is to high for my blood, I will wait it out and hope that either Diabolik or Xploited get it at a more reasonable price.

So I am assuming this isn't an exclusive to this website?
Old 04-20-04, 12:49 AM

I don't think it will be exclusive release.

Here is the reviews of the previous releases: http://www.mondo-digital.com/fando.html

I have seen them and the transfers aren't very good. The Holy Mountain is not anamorphic and seems the be the edited Italian version. Hopefully the new ones fare better.

Anyone know what is the OAR for El Topo ?

BTW, the AB UK's Santa Sangre is on sale @ Play.com. It's on their 2 films for £12.99 offer.
Old 04-20-04, 11:30 AM

More info:

http://www.rarovideo.com/eng/schede/cof_jodo.htm
Old 04-20-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well..i've decided to take the plunge and have ordered a copy which according to an e-mail i have received will ship today.
Ordering from the website meant i got a discount of €10 on the price and shipping to the UK was €5.
Not so bad i suppose...will be nice to have uncensored prints and the OST for El Topo on DVD instead of my worn out VHS copies.
Old 04-20-04, 02:26 PM

If possible, post some observations about the transfer quality when you get your box set.
Old 04-20-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Used the registered mail option which could take up to 15-20 days according the website, but will try to post some observations once i receive it.
Old 04-20-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Anyone know what is the OAR for El Topo ?
I'm guessing its about 1.33:1. I never had the opportunity to see the film theatrically, but every home video incarnation I've ever seen (Japanese video/LD, new Japanese DVD) has had a full screen presentation (as opposed to Holy Mountain which was always correctly given a widescreen presentation on video).
Old 04-20-04, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by RichDB10

Ordering from the website meant i got a discount of €10 on the price and shipping to the UK was €5.
Did you definitely get the discount? When I put it in the cart it has an asterik after the €10 Discount and the note for it says:

"*Discount is valid ONLY for shipment in Italy, for special offers the discount is valid in any case."
Old 04-20-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
Did you definitely get the discount? When I put it in the cart it has an asterik after the €10 Discount and the note for it says:

"*Discount is valid ONLY for shipment in Italy, for special offers the discount is valid in any case."
Yep!.. definately got the discount.....came to €45 including shipping in total and my e-mails reflect as much.
Old 04-20-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So are these definitely uncensored and uncut? Or do we not know yet? I wasn't planning on purchasing anything else this month, but I might have to make an exception.
Old 04-20-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
So are these definitely uncensored and uncut? Or do we not know yet? I wasn't planning on purchasing anything else this month, but I might have to make an exception.
From what i have been lead to gather...the previous Italian releases whilst not being of the highest quality were uncut and uncensored unlike the Japanese R2's which have digital fogging over genitalia etc....not mentioning El Topo being presented in it's original Spanish Language whereas the Japanese R2 uses an English dub.
Old 04-20-04, 07:53 PM

oh boy...double dipping on these two.....
Old 05-01-04, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well...just received this in the post today....not had chance to check it out thoroughly although have briefly played the discs.
First impressions are not good i'm afraid......i was expecting a whole lot better...if these have been remastered/color corrected from the previous Italian editions i'm only glad i never picked them up!!!...anyone considering buying this set...save your money!
Whilst being far from reference quality..the Japanese releases are substantially better..based upon my first impressions..just marred by the optical fogging etc...and of course they were fully authorized by Jodorowsky.
Old 05-01-04, 11:47 AM

I have the Japanes box set and I was planning to order this...

:_(