Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone observing "Turn the TV Off Week" next week?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-04, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm not, though I may decide to schedule ahead of time to avoid time-killing tv watching.
Old 04-16-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Not unless I go deaf and blind in the next few days.
Old 04-16-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

“Time-killing TV watching” is what it’s about.

The only reason my TVs aren’t on 24/7 is because, when we’re at work, the dogs fight over the remote.

So, I guess my answer would be “NO.”

Whose idea was this? Is this some kinda religious observance? Will there be any PSAs on TV for it?
Old 04-16-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the organizer's website:

What happens during a seven-day experiment in life without TV? A whole new space to think emerges. You find yourself passing time in ways you never expected. And you start to wonder: when I reach for the remote, who is really in control?

TV Turnoff 2004 is no ordinary social ritual. Sure, it’s a statement against the dead-end couch culture. But when millions of people let the screen fade to black this year, they’ll also be helping to build the Media Carta movement – the human rights battle of our information age.

Fewer and fewer people control the media that shapes our worldview. And nowhere does this play out worse than on our televisions, where the corporate agenda reigns supreme. Last year, MTV, the factory of teenage-cool, proved the point perfectly. By refusing to air our spots, they let sponsors trump free speech. That's no recipe for a healthy democracy.

With the Media Carta movement, we're fighting back – for the right of all citizens to access society’s most powerful forms of communication.

So, while your making your TV Turnoff plans for this year and looking through the action ideas, website links, reports, MP3s, Posters and updates – check out the Media Carta Campaign. Read the manifesto and pledge your support.
Old 04-16-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's from Adbusters. They're some radical liberal group...

*shrug*

If they were doing this because they thought it would help people get closer to family, pick up a book, or just get outside and be active it would make far more sense.
Old 04-16-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was in Taiwan in ‘99 for three weeks. No TV at all (at least nothing in engrish).

Two weeks in and the Big One [earthquake] happened.

I live in southern California.

I’m not making the same mistake twice.
Old 04-16-04, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by DodgingCars
It's from Adbusters. They're some radical liberal group...

*shrug*

If they were doing this because they thought it would help people get closer to family, pick up a book, or just get outside and be active it would make far more sense.
It doesn't really matter what their motivations are if those other outcomes you listed can result, does it?

Anyway, I would participate if only there wasn't a new episode of 24 and NYPD Blue on Tuesday, OC on wednesday, Survivor on Thursday, and Sopranos on Sunday - oh yeah, also gotta watch Hardball on msnbc each night to satisfy my political junkie side, and the sunday morning news talk shows. If it wasn't for all those shows I would be participating.
Old 04-16-04, 06:18 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is it cheating if you watch DVDs?
Old 04-16-04, 06:22 PM

Received 806 Likes on 524 Posts
Originally posted by Jim
Is it cheating if you watch DVDs?
Not if its on your computer.

Goldberg 7:4 - "As for me and my house, we will watch the tube!"
Old 04-16-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Anyone observing "Turn the TV Off Week" next week?

Turn the TV OFF? I don't understand. Off? What are you talking about?
Old 04-16-04, 06:54 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I think it's unfair to say it is sponsored by Adbusters. They have it on their website, but it appears that a different group or groups is really the ones behind it. tvturnoff.org seems to be one of the backers, if not the main one, and the emphasis there is on getting kids to read instead.
Old 04-16-04, 07:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Do they mean watch DVDs instead of comercial programming? I guess I could do that for a week.
Old 04-16-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BAW HA HA HA HA HA AH AHAHA HA AHHA HAHAH AHAH AHHAH AH A

no.
Old 04-16-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My is on when there are good shows on TV or when I'm watching a DVD.
Old 04-16-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My world is like Max Headroom's. TV's don't have an off button. Nor should they.

D
Old 04-16-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had Dish Network cancelled when I moved and since then I've watched substantially less TV. It is really for the better. I have Tivo and limited cable and that's all I need. Limiting TV time is the best thing. You can always get news updates on the internet.

However, I've never gone cold turkey in a very long time. Why next week of all times to do this?
Old 04-17-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The local school district likes to do this in the Fall. The last two years it has been during the World Series.

Yep, nothing like discouraging kids and dads watching the Fall Classic together.
Old 04-17-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hardly ever turn my TV on, I play on my computer or go to work... I watch maybe 4 hours per week mostly.
Old 04-17-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm observing it. Actually, that's not entirely correct. I have already observed it. I observed that it's a stupid idea.

das
Old 04-17-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
I watch maybe 4 hours per week mostly.
And one of those hours is wasted on Mad Mad House?

das
Old 04-17-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The way I look at it, I do the TV turn off little by little each week. I promise to not turn on crappy TV, which I do every week. Which means I will only watch a few programs.

DVDs on the other hand....I make no plege for that.
Old 04-17-04, 09:02 AM

I guess the silly thing about it is that there is no reason to go cold turkey on something unless you think it is a generally bad thing. A lot of people think that TV is in general a bad thing, and they proudly proclaim the fact that they don't watch at all. But for anyone who finds value in some of the programming on tv, there is no reason to arbitrarily say, "I'm not going to let myself enjoy myself in this way, this week."

I do, however, think that anyone who watches tv often should evaluate the value of the things they watch. If it doesn't make you laugh, think, or feel much emotion (whether it is some poignant drama or thrilling action show) then you really aren't going to regret missing it if you turn the tv off and do one of those things DC listed.
Old 04-17-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Those with Internet access watch less TV anyway.

Actually, if you have Internet access (especially those with broadband Internet), you actually watch a LOT less TV than normal.

Why be a slave to the idiot box when you can surf the Internet and have a true interactive experience?
Old 04-17-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by lucasorion
I do, however, think that anyone who watches tv often should evaluate the value of the things they watch.
Why?

Do you listen to music in your car? Do you fully enjoy it, or is it just better than traffic noise?

Along the same line, if I had my radio on often at home, should I evaluate the value of the things I listen to?
Old 04-17-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Actually, if you have Internet access (especially those with broadband Internet), you actually watch a LOT less TV than normal.
I spend way more time on the internet, and I think I get more from it, but I still see no reason to turn off my TV.

Do you listen to music in your car? Do you fully enjoy it, or is it just better than traffic noise?

Along the same line, if I had my radio on often at home, should I evaluate the value of the things I listen to?
I have to have some kind of noise on. For TV it's usually one of the news channels. I've got Headline News on right now.

I've long thought these people were a few episodes short of a full season. TV could be such an incredible tool for teaching and sharing, if they put their efforts towards something like that, I think they could do a lot more good.

As an aside, I'm watching the tickers on HN, Ben Franklin died on this date in 1790, an 8 yo in MA threw a cupcake at a passing car, driver wanted to press charges, but cops won't... mother is charged with driving her teens to egg a bar in PA... students at some college are charged with arson for burning Peeps.

Did Project Mayhem start and I didn't get the memo?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.