Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Christophe Gans' "Crying Freeman" finally gets a US release

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-15-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

It only took nine years, but Christophe Gans' (Brotherhood of the Wolf) 1995 film adaptation of the Japanese manga, Crying Freeman will finally be released in the US by Universal Focus (Universal's film division responsible for the US release of Brotherhood of the Wolf ). It will hit theatres in August, but I doubt it will be in wide release. Hopefully a DVD will follow soon after (for those who didn't already get the French DVD years ago). This film is definitely not on the same level as Brotherhood but I liked the manga, and thought the film was a pretty good adaption.

The news is from Mark Dacascos' website (he plays the title character in the film). The film should have costarred Jennifer Connelly, because the main female character in the comic was the spitting image of her.

http://www.dacascos.com/actornewsf.html

Last edited by cultshock; 04-15-04 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-15-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I...didn't really like this film. And I definitely don't see it getting a wide release.

Anyway, good for the fans, right?
Old 04-15-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it when I saw it in '95... but I do not know what I would think of it now...
Old 04-16-04, 01:18 AM

I bet they will market it as "A Great Underground Comic Book Movie" ala Hellboy. I've seen the movie and it's not to bad, could have been ALOT better though.
Old 04-16-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have the french DVD of it and fell asleep midway - I still plan to watch it sometime. I don't understand the thought process behind bringing it to the theaters at this point since it's such an old film. I can think of much better movies they could bring over here. Maybe they think Marc is a rising star or something. I'd actually rather see them give Drive a wide release and see how it does (probably not well, but it's a badass flick).
Old 04-16-04, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Drive had way better fighting and ingenuity in its head to head scenes but the movie is horrible storywise and Brittney Murphy gives one of the worst performances on film in that movie, and I dont even find her that annoying usually.
Old 04-16-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Say what you will about Drive, I found it much more entertaining than Crying Freeman.