TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tru Calling - 04/15/04

Old 04-15-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Tru Calling - 04/15/04

"Death Becomes Her", Episode #116.

Spoiler:
An actress (Tamyra Gray) visits the morgue to research her next role, then she plummets to her death when her vehicle goes off a bridge.

Cast: Eliza Dushku, Shawn Reaves, Jessica Collins, A.J. Cook, Heath Freeman, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Priestley, Tamyra Gray, Ivan Cermak, Mercedes De La Zerda, Tony Akantar, Mikka Dargel.
Producer(s): Marty Adelstein, Dawn Parouse, Jon Feldman.

Original Airdate: April 15, 2004
Old 04-15-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am a little annoyed that they put American Idol's Tamyra Gray in an episode. I thought she proved last year on Boston Public that she couldn't act.
Old 04-15-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
I am a little annoyed that they put American Idol's Tamyra Gray in an episode. I thought she proved last year on Boston Public that she couldn't act.

I was more than a little annoyed. Since when did that idiotic show become a prerequisite for getting major guest spots on FOX dramas.
Old 04-15-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
I was more than a little annoyed. Since when did that idiotic show become a prerequisite for getting major guest spots on FOX dramas.
I'm sure I will be even more annoyed by it once I watch it - maybe I can just fast forward through the show when she is on-screen.
Old 04-15-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by B.A.
I'm sure I will be even more annoyed by it once I watch it - maybe I can just fast forward through the show when she is on-screen.

Spoiler:
Unfortunately, given the concept of the show, you have to deal with her twice as much.
Old 04-15-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So true, so true.
Old 04-15-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This episode was PAINFUL. I was hoping, nay, PRAYING that Tru would let her die on Day Number 2.

The writing, while never exactly stellar, was horrendous tonight. The only storyline I could stomach was Jack & Harrison's.

So...lemme get this straight...

Tamyra had a kid 8 years ago.

Since she didn't want her kid exposed to the evil tabloids for the rest of her life, she decided to fake her death and leave the country? Which, of course, would make more sense than just leaving the industry and fading like so many of the "celebrities" do today.

Great storyline guys.

Well, look at it this way guys...at least she didn't SING.
Old 04-16-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
So...lemme get this straight...

Tamyra had a kid 8 years ago.

Since she didn't want her kid exposed to the evil tabloids for the rest of her life, she decided to fake her death and leave the country? Which, of course, would make more sense than just leaving the industry and fading like so many of the "celebrities" do today.

Great storyline guys.
Not only that. People may not have known that the girl was her daughter but they knew she existed. When Tamyra takes the girl away (isn't that what she told Tru she was going to do?) wouldn't people wonder what happened to her?

This was their worst show since the "Flatliners" episode. Surprising since the show has gotten quite good lately.
Old 04-16-04, 12:40 AM

yeah, a girl like her would be so huge that she would have to leave the country? she isn't elvis presley, there were absolutely no reporters around her any time we saw her...i agree with rogue, a celebrity like here would just have to stop acting...very dumb story tonight....i also thought jack/harrison's subplot was lame...
Old 04-16-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also didn't care much for this episode. But there is something up with Jack. He's giving Harrison all the bad advices so his relationship with Lindsey went down the drain in 1 episode after so many times Tru helped Harrison with his mistakes in the past episodes.
Old 04-16-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, to be honest, once Harrison actually did something right [dinnner the first time around], I figured he was going to crash and burn during the do-over...
Old 04-16-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I also didn't care much for this episode. But there is something up with Jack. He's giving Harrison all the bad advices so his relationship with Lindsey went down the drain in 1 episode after so many times Tru helped Harrison with his mistakes in the past episodes.
And what is Harrison, an idiot? Anyone would know treating one's girlfriend that way would not go over well.

The only way this makes any sense at all is if Harrison wanted to get out of his relationship with Lindsay (and I see no reason to think he did). He could have done that very easily on his own, he didn't need Jack's "advice" to do it.
Old 04-16-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife and I are almost convinced that Jack will turn out to be
Spoiler:
the Grim Reaper, trying to stop Tru from saving the people that are supposed to be on his dead list.
Or has that already been discussed in here?
Old 04-16-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't paying full attention to the beginning of this episode. The very first scene shows Tamyra getting stabbed by someone. It didn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the episode. What was that all about?
Old 04-16-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Snowmaker
My wife and I are almost convinced that Jack will turn out to be
Spoiler:
the Grim Reaper, trying to stop Tru from saving the people that are supposed to be on his dead list.
Or has that already been discussed in here?

My guess is that he
Spoiler:
he has rewind powers too although he uses his ability for evil purposes. Did you notice how he was touching the dirt where they saw the body the first time.
Old 04-16-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My guess is that he
Spoiler:
he has rewind powers too although he uses his ability for evil purposes. Did you notice how he was touching the dirt where they saw the body the first time.
EXACTLY! This was actually less subtle than I expected. Plus he keeps repeating his mantra about
Spoiler:
some people deserve to die.

I am also willing to bet
Spoiler:
that Lindsay dies at the end of the season and Harrison is going to play a major part of the life saving in the rewind.

Was this the first time the dead body knew Tru? She said "Tru, I need your help."

What? No love for Luc?!?!? I hope he rejoins the scenario before the season ends!

Also I downloaded the theme "Somebody Help Me" by Full Blown Rose from from iTunes last night - cool beans!
Old 04-16-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is that he
Spoiler:
But
Spoiler:
his day didn't rewind, her's did. I noticed he touched the ground, but figured that's because he knew that that's where she was supposed to die.
Old 04-16-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Snowmaker
But
Spoiler:
his day didn't rewind, her's did. I noticed he touched the ground, but figured that's because he knew that that's where she was supposed to die.

Spoiler:
How do you know his day didn't rewind? The incident with Harrison and the stick-up man gives me another reason to believe his day did rewind. I think either A) his day rewinds when hers rewinds, or B) his day rewinds at a different time.
Old 04-16-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
Maybe Jack is powerless to stop anything Tru directly does herself but anything else is fair game. That could explain why last week he could mess up Harrison's intial saving of gambling girl but gambling guy, handled by Tru, was saved. Also could explain why Jack could mess up Harrison with Lindsay. Maybe Jack wasn't afraid of the carjacker because it was an act Jack and the carjacker were in on (as suggested by Red Dog); after that, Harrison was more inclined to listen to whatever Jack said, e.g. about Lindsay. Jack couldn't stop Tru from saving whatshername so his plans for the day became messing up Harrison (maybe part of a larger master plan to turn Harrison to his "side.")

rfduncan's idea about having to save Lindsay at the end of the season also makes sense in this context. Harrison may have to choose between Tru's and Jack's cause.
Old 04-16-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmmmmm........
Old 04-16-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't given it too much thought, but I've always half-assumed that
Spoiler:
Jack rewinds with Tru. Asking Tru for help triggers the rewind, but Jack doesn't forget the previous day. I first got this feeling when he first came on the show and didn't do all the things that pissed her off the first time around (taking her drink from the fridge, etc)

das
Old 04-16-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Jeraden
I wasn't paying full attention to the beginning of this episode. The very first scene shows Tamyra getting stabbed by someone. It didn't seem to have anything to do with the rest of the episode. What was that all about?
She is an actress and the first scene where she got stabbed was her character she played that got stabbed on TV. They showed Davis and Tru watching the show on TV with credit rolling by.

The scene is needed to show why Tru came to the conclusion that Tamyra was killed by someone with malicious intent. Turned out it was all just coincidence. She wasn't ran off the road by someone; she did it herself. And she died because she was ran over by someone unintentionally.

Last edited by mookiemeister; 04-16-04 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-16-04, 02:15 PM

I think the biggest confirmation on Jack tonight was when:

Spoiler:
While he was touching the ground where Carly died the first day and mentioned "...one day you're here, and the next you're not."

I think the whole grim reaper analogy works well, because we haven't been given any indication that Jack is working as a 'negative' force as opposed to Tru's 'positive' force. Rather, it seems like Tru's radical actions causes the universe to get all wacky and Jack becomes a manifestation the universe trying to 'get things back to normal.' There hasn't been any indication of Jack getting rewind days either, just being pulled along with Tru, trying to set things in its 'natural order.'
Old 04-16-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Spoiler:
How do you know his day didn't rewind? The incident with Harrison and the stick-up man gives me another reason to believe his day did rewind. I think either A) his day rewinds when hers rewinds, or B) his day rewinds at a different time.
Spoiler:
But the incident with the stick-up man never happened the first time (he went to pick up tru) So how did he know the second time that it would happen??? hummmmm?? That is the question!
Old 04-16-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by TheGuy
Spoiler:
But the incident with the stick-up man never happened the first time (he went to pick up tru) So how did he know the second time that it would happen??? hummmmm?? That is the question!
Spoiler:
My theory (see above) is that Jack and the carjacker were in on it together and their performance was played out for Harrison. Jack knew Harrison was going to see Lindsay that night and that the dinner with Lindsay's sister was very important to her. Jack's stunt (which he could have set up when the day rewound if it rewound for him also) allowed him to gain influence over Harrison. As I said above, Harrison may become the important element in an ultimate battle between Tru and Jack and Jack wants him on his side.

Hell, it's all speculation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.