Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Television Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Television Help

I recently purchased a high Definition widescreen television, and I have some questions, which I hope someone can help me with. I have a progressive scan dvd player, and I am trying to get the best picture from it. It is hooked up to the high def input using component cables. Now my TV has 4 settings. Normal, Full, wide and wide zoom. Which one can give me the best picture? And how would an anamorphic movie fit in? How can I get one of these movies to fit the screen the best? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-14-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh dear.
Old 04-14-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anamorphic DVDs should run in Normal mode (assuming it's the mode that doesn't do any stretching). Non-anamorphic DVDs may need zooming or stretching depending on the aspect ratio. I don't know what those modes mean, though, so I can't help much with them.

das
Old 04-14-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eep.

Congrats on the new set.

Typically the "full" will give you the best picture with an anamorphic disc. You will have to experiment to see what you like best.

What TV is this?
Old 04-14-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One person says use normal mode one says use full mode. Maybe if you told us which brand of TV you bought we could give you a more precise answer since every brand uses different names for their format modes.

Last edited by chipmac; 04-15-04 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-15-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Toshiba 50HDX82 - Full for component video anamorphic DVDs.
Old 04-15-04, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No offense, but have you read the manual?
Old 04-15-04, 07:53 AM

It is a Sony widescreen XBR. I have read the manual, and it said letterboxed movies should look the best in wide zoom, but I was under the impression that it is stretching the movie, and I thought with anamorphic it wouldn't have to be. Normal looks like a normal 4x3 tv set. It have black bars on the right and left.

Should an anamorphic movie fill in the entire 16 x 9 image or that depends on the aspect of the movie itself?
Old 04-15-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twr314
Should an anamorphic movie fill in the entire 16 x 9 image or that depends on the aspect of the movie itself?
If the movie has an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 or 1.77:1 and the disc is anamorphic, the film will typically fill the entire screen on a widescreen TV (allowing for overscan). If the movie has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and the disc is anamorphic, then the film will have black bars on the top and bottom.