Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pixies setlist from first show on tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Bone Machine
Wave of Mutilation
U-Mass
Levitate Me
Broken Face
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Holiday Song
Winterlong
Nimrod's Song
La La Love You
Ed Is dead
Here Comes Your Man
Vamos
Debaser
Dead
Number 13 Baby
Tame
Gigantic
Gouge Away
Caribou

Encore:

Isla De Encanta
Velouria
In Heaven->Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)
Where Is My Mind?
Into The White

I think that is a fairly weak setlist, with not enough stuff off of Trompe and Bossanova. Also, kind of a short set for them.

Thoughts? Discuss.
Old 04-14-04, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Pixies are touring. Someone pinch me, I still can't believe it.

There's not much to discuss. I too would like to see some more stuff from Tromp and Bossanova, like Planet of Sound, Alec Eiffel, Havalina, Stormy Weather and Subbacultcha.....but hey it's the first friggin show. Now excuse me while I go to my pixies shrine and pray that they play New England before the eventual band fight that breaks them up once and for all.

Last edited by Rivero; 04-14-04 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasn't the Pixies catolog remastered last year? How do they sound - worth upgrading?
Old 04-14-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Pixies setlist from first show on tour

Originally posted by cdollaz
I think that is a fairly weak setlist, with not enough stuff off of Trompe and Bossanova. Also, kind of a short set for them.
I don't think it is that weak, it does have some of my favorite's on there. I am surprised to see Trompe not being well represented on their. Songs like Alec Eiffel and Subbacultcha should be staples of their lives show IMO. The lack of Bossanova stuff I can somewhat understand. While I love that album it has always seemed like there were a lot of people out there that didn't/don't.
Old 04-14-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks good to me.
Old 04-14-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Pixies setlist from first show on tour

Bone Machine- Perfect song to start with
Wave of Mutilation- Takes it up a notch, excellent.
U-Mass- "It's Educational!!!!"- I grew up in Amherst, MA so I love this song.
Levitate Me- Ok, not one of my favorites
Broken Face- Kick ass song, they play it reallllly fast live (at least they did 15 years ago).
Monkey Gone To Heaven- Excellent pop song, perfect way to cool things off after broken face
Holiday Song- Huh?
Winterlong- Excellent Neil Young cover from "The Bridge" compilation (which is really good, BTW). Did Kim sing it?
Nimrod's Song- Great unknown catalogue song. Good choice!
La La Love You- Huh? Don't remember it
Ed Is dead-Huh?
Here Comes Your Man- Perfect pop song, hopefully it sounds good live.
Vamos- is this that song where Joey just completely flips out? Must be scary live.
Debaser- My personal favorite Pixies single. Must be really fast live.
Dead- OK album track
Number 13 Baby- Huh?
Tame- Scary song. Hopefully Frank really goes nuts
Gigantic- Can Kim still pull it off or is she a spent crack whore?
Gouge Away- Terrific song. Great at the end of the set.
Caribou- One of my favorites from the first album, really weird lyric

Encore:

Isla De Encanta- Nutty song, funny as hell.
Velouria- cool single, highlights their "space" phase, good choice for and encore
In Heaven->Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)- what did this sound like?
Where Is My Mind?- inevitable.
Into The White- I don't know this one.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-14-04 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I guess I feel that it is very predictable. Really only a couple of surprise songs on there. This is basically Disc 2 of Death To The Pixies, just in a different order.
Old 04-14-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Pixies setlist from first show on tour

Originally posted by Hiro11
Levitate Me- Ok, not one of my favorites
La La Love You- Huh? Don't remember it
Ed Is dead-Huh?
Number 13 Baby- Huh?
You're obviously a big fan but how can you not know # 13 Baby and Ed is Dead? Check your discs. They're on Doolittle and Come on Pilgrim, respectively. And La La Love You is also on Doolittle. All great songs. #13 Baby is one of their best. As is Levitate Me.

Man, I hope they hit NYC.
Old 04-14-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Pixies setlist from first show on tour

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
You're obviously a big fan but how can you not know # 13 Baby and Ed is Dead? Check your discs. They're on Doolittle and Come on Pilgrim, respectively. And La La Love You is also on Doolittle.
Dunno my man. I've been listening to a lot of Ramones lately and maybe it's made me stupid.
Old 04-14-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm still mystified this tour is as hot as it is. They are selling out FOUR shows here in Chicago. At the Aragon, which means roughly 20,000 people total. Meanwhile, when Frank tours solo, he plays in front of roughly 500 people despite the fact he plays a bunch of old Pixies stuff.

I just don't understand how those 19,500 people can care so much about seeing Kim et al. It seems to me if you love Pixies music, you should be out there at Frank Black solo shows.
Old 04-14-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, I like it I guess, but they need more than one song off Trompe. I'm very happy to see In Heaven, I hope when I get to see them they do it, although I understand they did this pretty often back in the day.

I think Kim might have objected to a lot of Trompe actually, she was seriously downgraded on the last two, and Trompe was practicually a Frank Black album. I do hope they warm up to those.
Old 04-14-04, 11:26 AM

http://startribune.com/stories/457/4721588.html

A generally appreciative review of the show.
Old 04-14-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A soundboard recording of the show has already been posted at Pearl Jam Bit Torrent Bootlegs:

http://pj.sidewalkcrusaders.com/trac...ils.php?id=173
Old 04-14-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's a pic of the setlist over at MTV.com that shows more Trompe and Boss songs were there but not played.

Frank has always been very fluid re: setlists, so I doubt any two shows will be the same.
Old 04-14-04, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Meatpants
Meanwhile, when Frank tours solo, he plays in front of roughly 500 people despite the fact he plays a bunch of old Pixies stuff.
Not true. It's only been within the past year and a half or two years that Frank would even consider playing a Pixies song with the Catholics. When I saw him in new England last year he played 3 pixies songs tops. Needless to say, they got the biggest reaction at the sold-out club.
Old 04-14-04, 09:14 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Pixies setlist from first show on tour

Nimrod's Song- Great unknown catalogue song.
Nimrod's Son. It's pretty well-known, it was on Come On Pilgrim.
Old 04-14-04, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by GuessWho
Buy an album I don't know one song from.

What a great spending strategy.
Ever see the movie Fight Club? At the end when the buildings blow up and the penis flashes onscreen, the song that starts playing is the Pixies' Where Is My Mind?, a perfect song for the scene.

Even if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about it'd still be a great spending strategy because, well, it's one of the greatest albums ever made. Period. You can't go wrong. So buy it. You don't even have to thank me later, although chances are you'll still come back to this thread with "thank you Rivero! Thank you for showing me the way!!"

Last edited by Rivero; 04-14-04 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 10:54 PM
Cool New Member

Buy an album I don't know one song from.

What a great spending strategy.
ummm...iTunes anyone? They've got Trompe La Monde, Bossanova, Live at the BBC, B-Sides and the "Purple" EP that you can preview 30 seconds of each song. If that leaves you wanting more, you could always go to your favorite used CD store and listen before you buy.

That said, you can not go wrong with having, at least, their Doolittle CD in your collection! Definitely a classic.
I can't wait until October, when they play Atlanta!! (Crossing fingers that they stay together that long)
Old 04-15-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do think that the first three albums are straight out masterpieces and the last two are really good. I think Doolittle isa perfect blind buy. Most accessible of the albums and every song is brilliant. Plus it's usually really cheap. Go to Half.com or some such place and pick it up. It's amazing.
Old 04-15-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pixies setlist from first show on tour

Dunno my man. I've been listening to a lot of Ramones lately and maybe it's made me stupid.
Heh heh. Ramones doesn't make you stupid. It makes you kick ass. (sidenote: So glad I saw the Ramones on one of their last tours. Joey was brilliant and the show was just sheer noise-bliss.)
Old 04-15-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do think that the first three albums are straight out masterpieces and the last two are really good. I think Doolittle isa perfect blind buy. Most accessible of the albums and every song is brilliant. Plus it's usually really cheap. Go to Half.com or some such place and pick it up. It's amazing.
I agree and disagree; all the albums are masterpieces. I love Trompe Le Monde the most, and I think as the years pass and have passed, plenty like it more. It was a bit of a different direction than the others, but I think it has the best flow of any of ther albums. I love all their albums, but I think they peaked with Trompe and it was the perfect way to go out.

I also think the most accesible album, in general, is Bossanova, it was the most pop of any of their efforts. I know Doolittle made the biggest splash, but I mean Bossanova is the easiest to get into. The songs are just more pleasant, and I think it's a great album to listen to on the beach, it's got the whole surf vibe to it.

Anyway, I'm listening to the first show now. They sound pretty great, if a little rusty. I have no experience of seeing them live, as I'm only 18, but it sounds pretty close to any of the other live performances I've heard. I can't wait til they announce some NY or NJ shows, ain't nothing going to stop me from being there.
Old 04-16-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gah! I didn;t finish getting that set last night and now the site's gone. Any other BT sites with it?
Old 04-16-04, 09:48 AM

Gah! I didn;t finish getting that set last night and now the site's gone. Any other BT sites with it?
Try here. It's FLAC not mp3 (YMMV on that). You will also need to register for their forums, but it is well worth it. A great sharing community there.

I am not sure if it is "ok" to link to sharing sites like that so, Mods please delete if you need to. The site doesn't allow trading of bands who don't want to be traded, so I think it is ok.
Old 04-16-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! That actually links back to the same site. It must be back up. Ah...
Old 04-16-04, 10:29 AM

Thanks! That actually links back to the same site. It must be back up. Ah...
oops, didnt realize. Normally on Sharing the Groove they have a bittorrent attached to the thread. Rarely is it an offsite link.

Glad it's back up though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.