Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk's Booty Call: The Bootiest Edition Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done reading David Walker's review of Booty Call: The Bootiest Edition . I must say, it made me chuckle.

However, Unlike any review here on the site, he clearly omits his opinion on the picture quality and sound quality. I can understand his distain for the film. It isn't my cup of tea either.. but others might appreciate some feedback in regards to sound and picture quality within the review.

Just an opinion.
Old 04-13-04, 08:53 AM

I agree. I've seen this movie and really have no desire to see it again, but at least review the DVD instead of turn the review into a commentary about what films you think should be on DVD.

How did the 3/5 star ratings for the video and audio get chosen? At random? At least throw some mention of these into the review, otherwise your review can be summed up as "This movie is stupid. I think it sucks. Don't buy it."
Old 04-13-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What kind of review is this? Its a joke. Doesn't discuss the movie, just moans about studio choices in releasing a movie. The author and DVD Talk should be ashamed because of this review. The movie is funny, and to sit around and bitch about other movies not being available is a joke. Especaially when the race card gets played.

Last edited by chanster; 04-13-04 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-13-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, just checking to see his other reviews, a total of 5 (including this one) since September of 2003. Not one of those reviews has a section on audio or video. How can this even be considered a fair review. better yet, how is this helpful to anyone who wants to know the specs?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bio.p...reviewID=10303

Also, how can someone be a reviewer ever couple of months? Other reviewers here have several reviews up weekly.
Old 04-13-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was a terrible review. If David wants to gripe about why movies aren't on DVD, he can do that in the DVD forum... he can leave it out of a DVD review. It's completely irrelevant in the review of Booty Call, which already suffers from being quite incomplete - how's the sound, Dave? Is the transfer bad?
Old 04-14-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... and did I miss it, or was there no mention of this being the second release on DVD of this film? What exactly made this "the Bootiest Edition?"

Maybe this will serve as a call to get all the reviewers to stick to the standard DVD Talk format that makes the majority of the reviews here not only more readable, but more useful.

Last edited by RevKarl; 04-14-04 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-14-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An update has been done to the review to add sound and picture information. However, the review looks worse now given the fact that it is all one paragraph.

I appreciate that the information was added, but the style is just terrible.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. At least previously, the formatting was better.

What do the movies NOTHING BUT A MAN, CHAMELEON STREET, MELINDA, and KILLER OF SHEEP all have in common? Well, first and foremost, each one of these films is brilliant in its own unique way, and each deals with the African American experience. The more dubious distinction this eclectic mix of film shares is that none of them are available on DVD. That in and of itself is a cinematic tragedy, but when you stop to consider that BOOTY CALL: THE BOOTIEST EDITION has just been released on DVD, the absence of the aforementioned films becomes even more pathetic and shameful. Now, before I climb up on my soapbox and deride BOOTY CALL, let it be known that I don’t hate the film as much as I hate what it represents. Truth be told, I don’t even hate the film. On its own, BOOTY CALL is merely an innocuous bit of trash filmmaking, a comedy that is at its most funny when the senses are dulled by either too much booze or multiple hits from the bong. But as an actual entry into the canon of black film, and one deemed worthy of “special edition” DVD status when Michael Roemer’s 1964 NOTHING BUT A MAN can’t be found, then BOOTY CALL becomes something more insidious. It becomes the sort of racist propaganda that continues to run rampant in the film industry. Sure, the film is no worse than crap like AMERICAN PIE, but the key difference here is that when it comes to films about white people, there is much more to chose from than AMERICAN PIE if audiences don’t want their intelligence insulted. But when it comes to black films that take the intellectual high road (or even the middle road for that matter), the pickings get mighty slim. Set over the course of a single night, BOOTY CALL chronicles the misadventures of two best friends (Jaime Foxx and Tommy Davidson), as they attempt to get laid with their dates (Vivica A. Fox and Tamala Jones). The problem is that neither man has a condom, and with no glove they get no love. Thus begins a whole new adventure, as they embark on a mission to get some rubbers, so they can get some booty. And that, in a nutshell, is pretty much all there is to this silly trash. Relying on the sort of humor that springs from the notion that the only thing funnier than a fart is smelling a fart, BOOTY CALL caters to the brow that hangs low. The film works best when natural funny men Foxx and Davidson are riffing off of each other, with Foxx delivering rapid-fire verbal barbs – some of which are funny. But for the most part BOOTY CALL relies on sequences that are just plain stupid. The film’s “funniest” sequences involve Foxx and Davidson accidentally playing footsie with each other, and a dog probing Foxx’s butt, with him thinking it’s his date playing with his ass. It’s called comedy ladies and gentlemen, and there’s plenty of it to be found here. The Bootiest Edition special features includes an audio commentary by director Jeff Pollack, producer John Morrissey, and writer Takashi Buford. Listening to these three prattle on with self-congratulatory praise for their film, you get the distinct impression these guys think they’ve made one of the funniest films of all time. As undeserving of your time as BOOTY CALL may be, the audio commentary represents an inexcusable waste of time. The alternate ending starts out funny, with the four main characters buried under a ton of old age make-up, but it soon degenerates into the same dumb dog-playing-with-Foxx’s-ass joke that has become the calling card of this flick. Of all the bonus material, only the short documentary, SMOOTH OPERATOR, an examination on the art of the booty call, offers any real amusement. In fact, the short is actually more entertaining the feature film. Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, BOOTY CALL boasts a far crisper, cleaner picture transfer that it actually warrants. This is BOOTY CALL, after all. The fact that the picture isn’t washed out pan and scan should be enough for die-hard fans. The 5.1 Dolby Digital sound is also sharp and clean, because, you know, not only does the world need BOOTY CALL with a great picture, but the sound needs to be working as well. Now, if you’ll all excuse me, I’ll be watching EYES ON THE PRIZE – which is out of print on VHS and never released on DVD – just so I can remind myself that black people are capable of more than chasing ass.
Old 04-14-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
You might want to use the E-mail the Author link to point this thread out to him, in case he hasn't seen it...or at least your most recent post.
Old 04-14-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Adam, I did just that regarding the format.
Old 04-18-04, 11:43 PM

Booty Call was a very very funny movie. It's sorta like Friday not really about anything but it's funny as hell. I'll probably pick this movie up.
Old 04-19-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Is this the David Walker of Badazzmofo? Since the reviewer mentioned Melinda in the review, I wouldn't be surprised if it is. In case you're unfamilar with "Badazzmofo", it's a magazine that focuses on cinematic gems from genres like Blaxpoitation,horror,spaghetti westerns..You know, my kinda stuff.
Walker did a majority of the reviews for all of the issues (Since he's the founder of the mag) and believe me, if he hates a movie, he lets you know that he HATES it! And since most of his reviews seemed to be based on bootleg video tapes (The mag was in publication shortly before dvd arrived) I'm not surprised at all to see no input on audio,PC,extras,etc in the review. At least Bill let him know that that's a requirement for the reviews at this site if he wants to continue to post reviews here.

Now as for Booty Call...Well, at least Tamala Jones has gotten better looking with age.
Old 04-21-04, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by The Video Dead
Booty Call was a very very funny movie. It's sorta like Friday not really about anything but it's funny as hell. I'll probably pick this movie up.
Right on man, very funny movie- I just picked it up today.
Old 04-23-04, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tiger Penis!