Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Vice City: Actually a Good Game?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-04, 03:16 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vice City: Actually a Good Game?

Now I've played GTA3 and Vice and regardless of what parents say, i think the game is great because of the incredible options incorporated into it, but I know there are parents who would rather give their left arm than see another copy of the game sold. I wanted to know what you guys think in a general view other than the game being great because you can kill everyone or sucking because you can kill everyone (yes, it does make sense). I'm sure this was posted before, but since the game has had time to die down off the charts, I wanted to see if opinions changed. Thanks-
Old 04-13-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you can beat hookers to death....
Old 04-13-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

....and take their money.
Old 04-13-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh.. I'll admit I ended up playing some GTAIII this weekend stuck in Houston (and watched Vice City). They're fun; good, maybe; great, no way. Playing errand boy gets old quick. But there is a lot to do as far as taxi missions, ambulance, vigilante, etc.. again.. high on variety on the surface only, as all of these end up being go from point A to point B. The graphics looked a HELL of a lot better on Xbox than I remember them on the PS2, but it's been a LONG time since I played it on PS2.
Old 04-13-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the cop chases in these games!
Old 04-13-04, 09:42 AM

I still haven't been able to finish GTA 3. Vice city was fun, a lot of that might have been because of the 80's music and being able to ride bikes though heh. Graphics are pretty bad in the PS2 version, when I popped VC in last night, at least the character models.
Old 04-13-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never played Vice City, are the changes significant from GTA3? I liked the open ended-ness of GTA3 but didn't really enjoy the linear missions.
Old 04-13-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Eh.. I'll admit I ended up playing some GTAIII this weekend stuck in Houston (and watched Vice City). They're fun; good, maybe; great, no way. Playing errand boy gets old quick. But there is a lot to do as far as taxi missions, ambulance, vigilante, etc.. again.. high on variety on the surface only, as all of these end up being go from point A to point B. The graphics looked a HELL of a lot better on Xbox than I remember them on the PS2, but it's been a LONG time since I played it on PS2.
I agree, the Xbox graphics were great. Like a whole new game.
Old 04-13-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
high on variety on the surface only, as all of these end up being go from point A to point B.
I have to STRONGLY DISagree with this statement, as there are multiple ways to complete each objective. You can do them very straight-forward or you can get creative, or even sneaky, which is the beauty of the game. That is with GTA3 - I haven't really played Vice City much, but the little I've played of that felt pretty much the same.
Old 04-13-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I love the different ways you can play this game. Has to be a top on the list of time wasters I have ever played.
Old 04-13-04, 05:10 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The actual overall goal of the game (the 'main' game) is nothing special, but what makes these games so great is the open-ended nature and the sheer variety. The game engine isn't perfect, but it's one of the most entertaining ones out there regardless of its flaws. Plus it lets you create your own challenges and minigames just based on the environment. The violence is almost an afterthought to me.
Old 04-13-04, 05:46 PM

Yes it is actually a good game.
Old 04-13-04, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by slop101
I have to STRONGLY DISagree with this statement, as there are multiple ways to complete each objective. You can do them very straight-forward or you can get creative, or even sneaky, which is the beauty of the game. That is with GTA3 - I haven't really played Vice City much, but the little I've played of that felt pretty much the same.
I'll have to STRONGLY disagree with this, wether you decide to take route X or route Y, in the end, the objective is still to get from point A to point B.
Old 04-13-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by menaz
I'll have to STRONGLY disagree with this, wether you decide to take route X or route Y, in the end, the objective is still to get from point A to point B.
Don't most games make you go from "Point A" to "Point B"?

I have to agree with slop101 that the beauty of the GTA series is the freedom of how to get there. Granted, there are still only so many things you can do; but that illusion of freedom is pretty impressive, and will hopefully get better as the series continues.
Old 04-13-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vice City was an excellent game, it was a videogame recreation of Scarface (1983).

SPOILER - you might not want to read if you haven't beaten VC

Spoiler:
except instead of losing in the final shootout, you win, which is what we all wanted to happen to Tony M
Old 04-13-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Great game. Thought so when i first played it, and looking back its still great. And yes, when you break it down, just about all games are about getting from point A to point B. The fun is how you get there.
Old 04-13-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's an awesome game. The GTA games are some of my favorites.
Old 04-13-04, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
Vice City was an excellent game, it was a videogame recreation of Scarface (1983).

SPOILER - you might not want to read if you haven't beaten VC

Spoiler:
except instead of losing in the final shootout, you win, which is what we all wanted to happen to Tony M
What the hell I thought I was going to get a VC spoiler, but instead you just spoiled Scarface for me
Old 04-14-04, 11:10 AM

VICE CITY for Xbox is the best game I've ever played, bar-none. I've had it for almost a year and it's still a blast!
Old 04-14-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PC version has the best graphics.
Old 04-14-04, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by beefjerky
What the hell I thought I was going to get a VC spoiler, but instead you just spoiled Scarface for me
I feel your pain, I'm rather upset about that .

Yeah most games are about getting from point A to B, but they dont try to disguise it as being so much more than that.
Old 04-14-04, 03:14 PM
Retired

I can't stand it, but I wouldn't say it's not a good game.

It's just not my cup of tea as I lose interest in open ended games, find the missions repetive, boring and frustrating in many cases, and I'm slightly turned off by violence in games.
Old 04-14-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry guys, but if you've played Vice City then that in it's own right spoiled most of Scarface for you if by some chance you hadn't seen it yet. Which seems to be the case. Read spoilers at your own risk...
Old 04-14-04, 04:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've said it before, but GTA:VC is one of my favorite 2 or 3 games ever, and I've been playing video games for nearly 25 years. I think it's a great game that pushes all the right buttons for me. I love the open endedness, the persistenat environment, the plot structure, and just about everything else. I've played a few games that I wouldn't classify as great (or even good) but this ain't one of them.

But I did play the PC version, so I didn't suffer any load time issues that frankly would've made me like it a bit less.