Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTv and CBS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirecTv and CBS?

I see that Directv now is offering CBS on channel 80 for New York. Does this mean that if I order the High Def package through them, that I can watch CBS on that channel, and whenever an HD program comes on, I will get that without needing an over the air antenna? I'm wondering because I'm an hour or so north of NYC where CBS is broadcast from, so it would be awesome to get CBS in high def for things like the Masters, superbowl, CSI etc....
Old 04-13-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming you already have (or get) an HD DirecTV receiver, you wouldn't need to order the HD programming package. It should just be available.
Old 04-13-04, 06:27 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Yup like chew said you are all set.

Fox will also be available by the fall.

and rumours of nbc and abc following up.

This is only for people in areas where the Local Station is owned and operated by CBS.. in my example DTV says I am qualified as boston is one of the O&O markets however I get a grade b signal from WPRI in rhode island which prevents me from getting the sat CBS Signal.

I would need to get a waiver from WPRI to allow me to get channel 80.

Also the other thing to note is that this is the National Feed. there is an east coast national feed and a west coat national feed. This means I would be getting the NYC feed if I could get it and not the Boston CBS feed from the Bird.
Old 04-13-04, 07:08 AM

Is there anyway to tell if I'll be able to get it then? I turn on channel 80 right now and it just says not available. How do I know if I'm one of those people that won't be able to get it? My HD receiver is on it's way. I went with the Samsung SIR-TS360 (http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...toid=-9712&m=0)
Mainly I went with this one because of the features, and for the fact that it has an extra component input, which means I can hook up my Xbox through it since I only have 2 component inputs on my TV.
Old 04-13-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ylomnstr
Is there anyway to tell if I'll be able to get it then? I turn on channel 80 right now and it just says not available. How do I know if I'm one of those people that won't be able to get it? My HD receiver is on it's way. I went with the Samsung SIR-TS360 (http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...toid=-9712&m=0)
Mainly I went with this one because of the features, and for the fact that it has an extra component input, which means I can hook up my Xbox through it since I only have 2 component inputs on my TV.
You say you're an hour north of NYC, does that put you close to any other CBS stations (Albany, Hartford, etc.)? If not, you should be good on the CBS HD channel.
Old 04-13-04, 09:23 AM

I'm also about an hour away from Albany and Hartford as well. Not sure of any other local cbs stations. So if I get this HD receiver, and that channel doesn't come in, what would I need to do?
Old 04-13-04, 04:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

That's the link you need

http://directvdnseligibility.decisio...dressEntry.asp

I get the following

Network Affiliate Channel Status

ABC
WCVB 5 Grade A (strong signal)
WMUR 9 Grade B (moderate signal)
WLNE 6 Grade B (moderate signal)

CBS
WBZ 4 Grade A (strong signal)
WPRI 12 Grade A (strong signal)

NBC
WHDH 7 Grade A (strong signal)
WJAR 10 Grade A (strong signal)

FOX
WFXT 25 Grade A (strong signal)
As you see I have 3 ABC Channels 2 CBS 2 NBC and 1 FOX.

What sucks is the WPRI channel is in Rhode Island and I am in Boston and that prevents me from getting the CBS HD Channel on 80 or 81. If I get a waiver from the station in the other state I can get to view them but it is not an issue yet as my HD Tivo is not scheduled now to ship till wed or thu.

Last edited by BDB; 04-13-04 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-13-04, 04:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

ELIGIBILITY EXPLANATION
On the left, you’ll find your eligibility for DNS (Distant Network Service). If there are networks that list your status as eligible, you will be able to receive those networks with DNS.

If there are affiliates listed on the left with a status of Grade A or Grade B, you will need a waiver from the affiliate before we can offer you that network. AFFILIATES RARELY GRANT A WAIVER FOR GRADE A SIGNALS. Much of the time, waiver requests for Grade B signals are not granted by affiliates either.
Old 04-13-04, 04:26 PM

I get the following:

ABC Eligible
CBS Eligible
NBC Eligible
FOX Eligible

But I'm still now sure what this means. Does this mean I can get these over the air?
Old 04-13-04, 04:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Okay OTA means from an antenna, not the dish.

You can get ota now without directv equipment, you would still need some type of HD Tuner though.

Yes you are eligible to get them all from the dish, although only CBS is being beamed now.

So when you get an HD receiver you will be able to get channel 80 and probably 81 which is the west coast feed.
Old 04-13-04, 04:39 PM

Right, I know OTA means I'd need an antenna, but I don't think I'm close enough to actually get a signal. That site also said if I'm eligible for DNS to call DTV and enroll. Do I have to do that?
Old 04-13-04, 04:48 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I think you have to call and they 'flick the switch' and you are good to go.
Old 04-14-04, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm confused...

i'm in CT, and am a current DTV customer. i'm moving in a couple weeks, and will be going HD.. i currently get all 4 locals (CBS/NBC/FOX/ABC) in CT (new haven, hartford, etc)... will i be able to get CBS in HD? or no, because my stations aren't NY-based??
Old 04-14-04, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mkdevo
i'm confused...

i'm in CT, and am a current DTV customer. i'm moving in a couple weeks, and will be going HD.. i currently get all 4 locals (CBS/NBC/FOX/ABC) in CT (new haven, hartford, etc)... will i be able to get CBS in HD? or no, because my stations aren't NY-based??
I guess that depends where you're moving to. You're post doesn't really say. Same area?
Old 04-14-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chew
I guess that depends where you're moving to. You're post doesn't really say. Same area?
sorry.. yeah, same area..
Old 04-14-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sorry.. yeah, same area..
If your affiliate is owned and operated by CBS, you'll get CBS-HD on DirecTV. If it isn't, you'll need an antenna to get any HD channels in your area.

Here's the list of owned and operated CBS affiliates:

• California - Los Angeles KCBS
• California - San Francisco KPIX
• Colorado - Denver KCNC
• Florida - Miami WFOR
• Illinois - Chicago WBBM
• Maryland - Baltimore WJZ
• Massachusetts - Boston WBZ
• Michigan - Detroit WWJ/WKBD
• Minnesota - Minneapolis WCCO
• New York - New York WCBS
• Pennsylvania - Philadelphia KYW
• Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh KDKA
• Texas - Austin KEYE
• Texas - Dallas KTVT
• Utah - Salt Lake City KUTV
• Green Bay WFRV
Edit to add: I took this list directly from the CBS website. I find it funny that the smallest market (mine--Green Bay) is the only one that doesn't include the state name.

Last edited by Chew; 04-14-04 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-14-04, 06:57 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

But a caveat... The only 2 guaranteed areas are NY and LA.

Like I said I am in Boston which is on the list but the RI CBS station interferes so much that I need a waiver from them.

mkdevo put the new address into the link above.

some people get around these issues by 'moving' to a new
area. essentially changing address on the DTV webpage for billing
Old 04-14-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went through this problem when the Super Bowl was on. My town has more then one company that has rights to broadcast CBS, so what I did was change my service address to a town that only had one CBS affilate. I left the billing address alone so I still get the bill sent to my home.

I am not even sure that there is a street named what I gave them for the other town as I have never been there.

Either way, I now have CBS in HD!
Old 04-15-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tjr2mental
I went through this problem when the Super Bowl was on. My town has more then one company that has rights to broadcast CBS, so what I did was change my service address to a town that only had one CBS affilate. I left the billing address alone so I still get the bill sent to my home.
interesting.. so can you just change your 'service address' on the website and switch your local channels? (change to a NY address, get NY locals?) where can i do this?

thanks for the help..
Old 04-15-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure you can do this through their website, but I did it over the phone. I "moved" one week after getting D* and haven't had any problems.

Although, when ordering equipment from D* be sure to tell them to ship to your billing address.
Old 04-15-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

interesting.. so can you just change your 'service address' on the website and switch your local channels? (change to a NY address, get NY locals?) where can i do this?

thanks for the help..
In addition to the phone, sending an email to customer service works too.
Old 04-15-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's also in violation of your user agreement.
Old 04-21-04, 08:38 AM
Banned

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the other network O-and-O stations, in case DirecTV offers a similar program for their HDTV broadcasts:

"ABC-owned stations in the San Francisco/Bay Area, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Raleigh-Durham, Fresno, Flint, and Toledo markets."

"NBC Owned Stations are on air in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Dallas, Miami, San Diego, Hartford, Raleigh, Columbus, Providence, and Birmingham."

"The 35 FOX-owned station subscribers included are: WNYW New York; WWOR in New York; KTTV Los Angeles; KCOP in Los Angeles; WFLD Chicago; WPWR Chicago; WTXF Philadelphia; WFXT Boston; KDFW Dallas-Ft. Worth; KDFI Dallas-Ft. Worth; WTTG Washington DC; WDCA Washington DC; KMSP Minneapolis; WFTC Minneapolis; WJBK Detroit; WAGA Atlanta; WUTB Baltimore; KRIV Houston; KTXH Houston; WTVT Tampa; WRBW Orlando; WOFL Orlando; WJW Cleveland; KSAZ Phoenix; KUTP Phoenix; KDVR Denver; KTVI St Louis; WITI Milwaukee; WDAF Kansas City; KSTU Salt Lake City; WBRC Birmingham; WHBQ Memphis; WGHP Greensboro; KTBC Austin; and WOGX Ocala."

Good news for me...all 3 have O-and-O's in Philly!

FS