Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Animal Face-off

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Animal Face-off

Is anyone else watching this show on Discovery? Basically, some scientists put two virtual animals against each other in a fight to the death (i.e. a bull shark and a hippo).

A friend told me of the show, and it sounded very interesting. However, of the 2 episodes I've seen so far, they've been very similiar: they make steel skulls of the animals and attach them to large pieces of machinery to "measure" their biting/goring/crushing power, etc. It all seems very unscientific. For example, on one episode, they put a metal rhino skull on a tractor and proceeded to crash the vehicle it unto a car to "measure" the goring power.

The best part is the 2 minute computer animation at the end of the show that shows who wins. The animation isn't even that great.

Are all of the episodes like this?

Last edited by Morf; 04-12-04 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-12-04, 04:22 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If this were a Fox show they'd actually pit the animals against each other...

I've never heard of the show, but I may have to check it out. Sounds interesting.
Old 04-12-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched it the first night; White Shark vs Nile Crocodile, and Elephant vs Rhino. It was awful. I will never watch again. Purely speculative, totally unscientific, and bad animation. They don't even make the robots fight one another at the end, let alone the actual animals.

The only positive is that they seem to do a pretty good job making the robotic skulls; other than that, the show is worthless.