Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twilight Samurai (HK) + When The Last Sword Is Drawn (Korean) DVD Covers?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the deal with these two different movies having very similiar covers?

When The Last Sword Is Drawn

Twilight Samurai

Seems kind of odd, doesn't it?
Old 04-12-04, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I've got both of those and thought it was pretty cheesy to use the same image. BUT, those are just the cardboard slipcovers. The actual DVD case artwork is different for each:

Last Sword:

Twilight Samurai (right side of attached image):

BTW, I thought Twilight Samurai to be an excellent film while Last Sword was a bit of a disappointment.

JKim
-----
Old 04-12-04, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by thunnus
BTW, I thought Twilight Samurai to be an excellent film while Last Sword was a bit of a disappointment.

JKim
-----<
You're the first person to say that they were disappointed in WtLSwD. I'm just surprised to read that because everywhere I look on thoughts of this movie, everyone has positive things to say about it. Could I ask why you were disappointed in it? The hype killed it for you? Each person has different likes and dislikes, so to each his own.
Old 04-12-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I actually already owned Twilight Samurai(havent gotten a chance to watch it yet), and just recieved "When The Last Sword Is Drawn". I was a bit surprised at first, since DVDAsian's picture shows the inside sleeve instead of the outside slip cover.
Old 04-12-04, 04:39 PM

I thought both films were very excellent. I was also surprised that the slipcases were simliar.

Anyone find that the When the Last Sword is Drawn case was hard pull out of the slipcase? I always have to go into deep meditation before pulling it out.
Old 04-12-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by khai

Anyone find that the When the Last Sword is Drawn case was hard pull out of the slipcase? I always have to go into deep meditation before pulling it out.
Having just gotten it today, I also have to agree. I thought I was going to rip the case in half! I thought for certain it was never going to come out. After finally pulling the dvd out of the slipcase it seemed a lot easier after that.
Old 04-12-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by khai
I haven't had any problems with mine, but for those having trouble you could try using that sword (letter opener) that is packaged with the DVD to pry the slipcase out.
Old 04-12-04, 07:41 PM

Yes...mine was freakin hard to get out too.

You're the first person to say that they were disappointed in WtLSwD. I'm just surprised to read that because everywhere I look on thoughts of this movie, everyone has positive things to say about it. Could I ask why you were disappointed in it?
I bought it precisely for the reason that you gave: everything I read about it was positive. But I found it to be a little too melodramatic and cliched for my tastes. Both Twilight Samurai and Last Sword give a sentimental viewpoint to the life of the samurai, but I much preferred Twilight's more realistic pacing and modest production values than Last Sword's "big budget" feel. I thought that the narrative in Last Sword was less than clear and jumped around too much between different timelines.

Finally, I didn't much like Kiichi Nakai's portrayal of Yoshimura. I just couldn't connect his idiotic fawning at the beginning to the noble and brave samurai that he was supposed to be. I understand the effect of revelation that the filmmakers were aiming for but it just seemed forced and unnatural.

JKim
-----