Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help re: RCA HDTV and 3:2 Pulldown

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-12-04, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am upgrading to an HD-ready TV this week. My original choice was a Panasonic PT47WX53, it has great reviews and a good price at Costco. However, I noticed the RCA D52W20 in the Sunday ads for not much higher cost than the Panasonic, and it also has good reviews. However, it does not have 3:2 pulldown like the Panasonic does, and after all my reading the last couple days on the subject, all I have done is confuse myself.
Now that it's baseball season, my viewing will be pretty equally split between DirecTV with a non-HD Tivo, and the progressive scan DVD player I'm upgrading to. Since the I can make sure the DVD player has 3:2 pulldown, do I also need it on the TV for viewing from the Tivo? Or do I just hook the Tivo up with a specific connect (S-video or composite or component) so it doesn't need the pulldown? Anything resembling a semi-definitive answer would be greatly appreciated. Meghan.
Old 04-12-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
You want the 3:2 pulldown for any input source that is not already progressive scan. If you've got a progressive scan DVD player and all you ever watch are DVDs, the 3:2 pulldown wouldn't be too important. However, if you watch a lot of TV or stuff saved on your Tivo, you'd want the 3:2 pulldown for those sources.

Without the 3:2 pulldown, the quality of non-progressive sources is going to suffer. You'll see lots of combing artifacts all over the place.
Old 04-12-04, 11:26 AM

Well, shoot. Guess I'll go with the Panasonic, then. That does bring up the somewhat rhetorical question of why anybody, especially RCA who IIRC claims they INVENTED 3:2 pulldown, would not include it in one of their wonderful new widescreen sets. No accounting for what companies will produce these days.

Thanks for your help Josh.
Old 04-12-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The sophisticated deinterlacing chips are one of the first things to get replaced with a cheap-jack alternative when the company wants to keep its price-point down.
Old 04-14-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do yourself a HUGE favor and do NOT buy the RCA! RCA TV's are well known for their bad quality control, not to mention bad picture quality (especially with HDTV's). You will be much more pleased with the Panasonic.
Old 04-14-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do Panasonics still lock into 16:9 stretch mode on all progressive scan sources?
Old 04-14-04, 11:08 AM

I didn't see anything about the Panasonics locking into a mode. According to the manual (which I actually read!) it looks like you can switch between all modes on all inputs. I'll have to double check that when my progressive scan dvd player gets here though. Even without it, I love my new tv. Picked up the 47" PT47WX54 (remarked PT47WX53) from Costco last night for $999. Quite a change from my old low-end 27" set.