Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

WINNETOU TRILOGY- need some German assistance and Danish info...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are a few members from Germany around here that post on a regular basis (other than my friend Summerwine ) and was wondering if any of them will be able to help.

When I was growing up one of the films that made a timeless impact on me was the Western trilogy- Winnetou with Lex Barker and Pierre Brice. I know that the entire trilogy has been released in Germany without English subs, so I would like to know if anyone owns this set, and would like to comment on the quality-

German (LE)

...or on any of the films individually if you happen to own only the single versions (perhaps you own only the first and second films, etc.) I am not interested in the Special presentation....box, etc, I NEED THE FILMS!!

Furthermore, I have found out that in Denmark Onair video have released the first Winnetou film under the name Præriens Søn with English subs. Does anyone own this version (any of the Scandinavian members??).

Most importantly I would LIKE TO KNOW if there are any plans for the remaining 2 films to appear with English subs (in Scandinavia)?

I am also told that there are Greek versions of the first 2 Winnetou films...yet to this day I have no been able to locate any of them.....

If you could assist in any way with these films (if there are versions even in countries like Russia for example I would stronlgly consider them before I buy the Winnetou 2 & 3 from Germany).

Cheers,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-09-04 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-09-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the German Box set and also the other 3 German Winnetou DVDs which are: "Winnetou und Shatterhand im Tal der Toten"," Old Shatterhand" and "Der Schatz im Silbersee".

I have to check the DVDs out tonight or the lastest tomorrow but they are anarmophic and are pretty nice quality. I will have to check again to make sure.

I know that there is some issue with "Winnetou and Shatterhand im Tal der Toten" regarding the OAR because the DVD is only 1.66:1 and I thinks the OAR is 2.35:1 but they couldn't get a better master for it.

I will ckeck them out and let you know.

Regards,
Dirk
Old 04-09-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hey....Dirk, thank you so much....I really appreciate it....

Also, just so I make sure....the original audio on the films is German correct? (what a shame there's no Engliss track....or better subs)...

Pro-B

ps
I am a bit confused with the Danish release...the disc indicates English audio.....could it be possible that they (OnAir Video) made a mistake and listed English instead of German.....German should be the original language.....
Old 04-09-04, 09:14 PM

There is some info about the original language on the dvds. It's quite interesting because the actors came from many countrys so that the screenplays were written in all the different languages and every actor spoke their language and then the movies were dubbed in German. Even Lex Barker was dubbed.
The German DVDs include the old German mono tracks (in a restored version) plus a track that was restored in German surround sound.
Considering this, there was never really an original language.
They are in 16:9 though and some of the movies include US, English and Italian Trailers.

I don't know anything about the danish version or any others. I do love those movies alot and unfortunately their are no signs that the other movies will be released soon, not even in Germany.

Dirk
Old 04-09-04, 09:54 PM

Pro-bassoonist, you've probably seen this, but if not, review of the German Winnetou set.
Old 04-10-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Njal- ....I just wish there were subs but either way I am strongly considering getting this set....I have some rather special memories from the time I first saw the first Winnetou film.....

Pro-B

ps
For the record only two series have ever made such an impact on me...the outstanding SANDOKAN series (I wish AnchorBay or Blue Underground gets the rights for SANDOKAN.....whoever has the vision to do it will simply destroy the market here....SANDOKAN is one of the, if not THE BEST pirate series ever made).....and the second one of course the above mentioned Winnetou films.....
Old 04-10-04, 03:53 AM

Hi Pro-B,

sorry about the no-subs problem.

When I first saw them I was thrilled as well - though of course there are better Westerns, I as well have fond memories of first seeing Winnetou, Old Shatterhand and his gang.

In case you want to go for the wood-box LE, write me an email, and I will try to help you out. Since it is out of print one might have to get it thru Ebay or some German forums... .

S
Old 04-10-04, 08:10 AM

Yes Sandokan, I remember seeing this on TV in Germany many, many wears ago. That was really good. There is something coming out in England, Sandokan Vol. 1,2 and 3 but there is no other information about it at amazon-uk. Does anybody know anything about it??

Dirk
Old 04-10-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pro-B

I've got the three individual releases and they look great! There's a lot of loving care that went into the restorations. One of the special features compares the pre-restoration footage with the restored footage. The original footage wasn't bad (compared to the way some classic US films like SPARTACUS were allowed to deterioate by their studios before restoration), but Kinowelt went ahead and restored them anyway.

There are no subtitles whatsoever (not even German ones), but if you have a passing knowledge of German, they are fairly easy to understand (and the plots aren't hard to follow).

Amazon.de has a good deal on the box set (not the wooden one, but one featuring all three films): $34.99 euros for all three films less VAT but you have to pay those outrageous Deutsche Post shipping charges.
Old 04-10-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Summerwine...thank you for the offer....the LE will come quite pricey...I will probably pick up the boxset next month. I also want to get the Danish release so I have at least one of the films in English.

Doc Moonlight- THANK you for the additional info. I appreciate it. As I mentioned above I will end up getting the set and the Danish release but it is nice to hear that Kinowelt actually did some massive restoration work. I am certain these films wont show up in the States.

DirkUsa....I HOPE AND PRAY these are the miniseries Sandokan films- vol 1, 2 and 3. That is how they were released in Holland (uncut)- Dutch Film Works have released the entire 360min. saga in its original (well, sort of) Italian audio but with Dutch subs only in this boxset with 3 discs:

There is also a shorter Italian version (I am told with inferior video quality) which contains an English dub....but is missing a significant amount of footage:

I hope that what is coming in May is the motion picture (mini series) and NOT the animated Sandokan....which has nothing to do with the pirate films I was talking about.....May is pretty close so I would wait and see what these 3 vol. are. I will say it again - THESE ARE PROBABLY the best pirate series EVER made!!

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-10-04 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-10-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dirk.....

a bummer.....the upcoming Sandokan films are indeed the animation ones.....

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000089478

Pro-B
Old 04-13-04, 10:29 AM

Oh NO!

Dirk