Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix availability - total BS?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-09-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Twice now Netflix has jumped the first four items in my queue even thought three of them say they are available NOW. Is this normal in your experience? I think their availability predictor kinda sucks.
Old 04-09-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Netflix availability - total BS?

Originally posted by Easy
Twice now Netflix has jumped the first four items in my queue even thought three of them say they are available NOW. Is this normal in your experience? I think their availability predictor kinda sucks.
It's happened more and more to me lately. Most recently, when Star Trek Voyager Season 1 Disc 1 on the release date. They skipped right over it and send me some other freaking movie.

I've been getting very annoyed with them. When they opened up a wherehouse here in AZ, the ship time was 1 day. Over the past month, it's been consistently 2-3 days. This leads me to believe everything is coming from California now.
Old 04-09-04, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It may be coming from the one in AZ...I live approx. 4 miles away from one of their warehouses in So. Cal and it takes 2 days for them to arrive after shipping sometimes.

Last edited by GuyverX; 04-09-04 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-10-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wonder if it's your distribution center or ordering slim stocked titles? I've been with Netflix for 5 months in Atlanta and I've only had one title skipped over (counting a ton of brand new releases).
Old 04-10-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts
I used to hear this complaint a lot from other users, but now its finally happening to me. Several times in the last month a title I've had in the number one position on my cue listed as "available NOW" has been passed over for perhaps the fourth available title. Some suggest its part of a software program that "punishes" you for renting and returning too frequently.
Old 04-10-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by GuyverX
It may be coming from the one in AZ...I live approx. 4 miles away from one of their warehouses in So. Cal and it takes 2 days for them to arrive after shipping sometimes.
But see, here's the deal. Ever since it opened up in AZ last year, I always got a 1 day turnaround. So either Netflix is lying about when they send them out to me, and they are coming from AZ a day later, or they are coming from Cali.

Another thing. New releases are never available. School of Rock and The Rundown have been in my queue for ever and they always showed long wait.
Old 04-10-04, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always get new releases as long as I have a movie that is returned Monday morning. If I don't make it, there is a long wait since everyone else is watching it(I am sure some people hold onto the new release until the weekend to watch so this would add to the wait). I don't think there is a big conspiracy.
Old 04-10-04, 06:41 PM

I'm the one who origanilly posted the that Netflix DOES penalize the heavy user vs. new customers and lite users. They do indeed penlize heavy users and they do make newer titles available to newer and lite users before those of older and heavier users. I had a link in a previous post that went to some guys website that had the results prooving the theory. I can't remember what the link was, but do a search of the forum and it should give you where I posted the link.

Well I ended up going to look for it myself. Here ya go:

http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com

Last edited by dvde; 04-10-04 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-11-04, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dvde
I'm the one who origanilly posted the that Netflix DOES penalize the heavy user vs. new customers and lite users. They do indeed penlize heavy users and they do make newer titles available to newer and lite users before those of older and heavier users. I had a link in a previous post that went to some guys website that had the results prooving the theory. I can't remember what the link was, but do a search of the forum and it should give you where I posted the link.

Well I ended up going to look for it myself. Here ya go:

http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com
I'd agree with it if I wasn't a heavy user. I get 8 out at a time and have them back in the mail the same day I get them yet I never have a problem getting new releases as long as the movie is in my number one spot and a movie gets checked in monday morning.

Going by that website, I should have a few very long waits but I don't.
Old 04-12-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I get 8 out at a time and have them back in the mail the same day I get them
Nice way of admitting you are stealing by copying/burning or whatever. Thats just ridicoulous.
Old 04-12-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that looks a little obvious!
Old 04-13-04, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by chanster
Nice way of admitting you are stealing by copying/burning or whatever. Thats just ridicoulous.
Why? It's not like all 8 show up on the same day. They usually start showing up Wednesday and stop Friday, occasionally going into Saturday.

It's rare that I get 4 in one day but I watch 4 movies a day already so it's not a problem to get them done.
Old 04-14-04, 10:16 AM

My Netflix location recently changed from Houston to Coppell Texas. Being in Tulsa and seeing as how Coppell is closer than Houston I assumed I'd have a quicker turnaround. Nope. It's now averaging 4-6 days turnaround as opposed to 2-3 before.

And I've started noticing the availability problem too. When I first joined it was fine, but now that I've rented several hundred titles they've started skipping movies at the top of my queue.

-Jason
Old 04-14-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
Huh? I do the same thing and I don't burn copies of them. Most people watch a movie or two every night, so it's very easy to get through what Netflix sends you. You don't get all 8 on the same day.

If I'm super busy and don't have a chance to watch something, I might copy it onto my ReplayTV (assuming that it isn't something where I'd want 5.1 sound, etc.) and watch it later. And then erase it. How is that a problem?

I don't see anything 'ridicoulous' about that at all.
Old 04-14-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get why people should be terribly upset about getting the #4 title on the queue instead of the #1 title. I mean, you want them both, don't you?
Old 04-15-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts
I don't get why people should be terribly upset about getting the #4 title on the queue instead of the #1 title. I mean, you want them both, don't you?

It's sort of like showing up for a movie you really wanted to see and finding it sold out. The movie you see instead might be quite nice, but its just not what you had planned. Also, when they pass over a movie you really wanted to get that week, and its listed as "Available Now", I really aggravating not to get that particular title. There's a practical reason also: Certain titles are harder to get than others, and if they pass it over on some software "whim", you may not get another shot at it for a few weeks (or you'll have break down and pay the extra buck to get it from Blockbuster and their ilk.
Old 04-15-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shill66
This is one of the reasons I quit using Netflix. It happened to me where I had the first and second disc of a two discset to ship in order and they shipped me the second disc after skipping over the first. Tell me what good is receiving the second part of a mvie before seeing the first.
Old 04-15-04, 03:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by chipmac
This is one of the reasons I quit using Netflix. It happened to me where I had the first and second disc of a two discset to ship in order and they shipped me the second disc after skipping over the first. Tell me what good is receiving the second part of a mvie before seeing the first.
In cases of a multi disc set, I just rent the first one and after i get it I put the next disc as number 1, and do it that way with each disc after that.

Then I never have to worry about getting #3 when I haven't seen 1 or 2 yet.
Old 04-15-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah but then you can't watch the whole movie in one sitting.
Old 04-15-04, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by chipmac
Yeah but then you can't watch the whole movie in one sitting.
then keep what you have till you get the first
Old 04-26-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
I just had a film enter shipping status and it was the last film on my list, out of 50 in the queue! All of them were listed as available Now. If the system is database controlled you'd think it would automatically select the next available disc starting at the top. I can understand skipping a few, but jumping to the bottom? Why have a numbered queue then if the order is going to be so out of whack?
Old 05-04-04, 02:09 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I've been having this problem recently also.

Mostly with the Babylon 5 discs. I had the first disc of season 2 #1 in my queue and it skipped over it for a week before finnaly shipping it and it was listed as available now.

Just today Disc 5 was listed as now and I had it #1 in my queue and it sent me the 2nd and 3rd dvd's listed.
Old 05-04-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I've been lucky - I occasionally get a #2, but it usually is fine.
Old 05-04-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried Nicheflix for a few months, but canceled because I only had a few titles I really wanted to see. But, they have a pretty cool feature: you can group things together in your queue. For example, group together B5. If you have all 7 discs in your queue and grouped, it will only send you the first disc in that grouping. If it's not available, it skips the grouping altogether and moves on to the next available movie or grouping. It's the perfect way to ensure you only get the next disc in a set without having to see disc 6 before discs 1-5. Too bad Netflix couldn't start this idea.
Old 08-17-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess my luck is running out. After 9 months of almost every single new title being sent out immediately I am starting to run into a ton of "short wait" listings. Hope it really is only ebb & flow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.