Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Penn & Teller Bull**** 4-8-04

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-08-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Safety Hysteria

Spoiler:
Hucksters are tapping into our hysteria over our personal safety to make big bucks. We're being told that, in order to keep us safe, we need everything from anti-terrorism gas masks to paper toilet seat covers. Crime rates are going down, not up. You're four times more likely to get struck by lightning than to be violently killed at school. And, once and for all, cell phones don't give you cancer!

9:00pm CDT followed by a rerun of last week's show about PETA.
Old 04-08-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, pops. I'm trying to remember to watch this show on a regular basis.
Old 04-08-04, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Paige I don't think I'll ever forget that ass.

Another great episode.

The toilet seat cover has always mystified me. Never have used one before. Wipe the seat down and good to go.

I've visited the junkscience.com website before so I was well aware of much of the bullshit exposed.

I remember that NC high school raid. I believe I commented on it in the Other Forum when it happened. I remember being utterly shocked at the time at what was essentially a stormtrooper response by the police and how the principal looked like a complete idiot. Of course that is simply another example of how Zero Tolerance and the War on Drugs are BULLSHIT.

The safety first salesman? Well what can I say except.....
Old 04-08-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That SafetyFirst guy was a riot. Really good episode; however, it's disappointing how they completely avoided the legitimate concern over feces on public toilets. Yeah, your ass cheeks are relatively clean (especially compared to your mouth), and urine isn't a big deal, but don't tell me feces aren't an issue, especially on dark seats. Wipe it down, use it, and do your worst, but let's not romanticize the cleanliness of a public toilet too much now.

Otherwise, good stuff, and very funny as always.

das
Old 04-08-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good episode. But I was kind of disappointed they didn't go after some of the most irrational fears of Americans like nuclear power and pesticide residues.
Old 04-08-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I don't know about cell phones. I've heard that owning and using one greatly increases the risk that you can never get away from your ****ing job.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-08-04 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-09-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
It was weird hearing that part about scant bacteria down there since I remember reading a Straight Dope column about their being coliform bacteria down below. Of course that was an article about hand-washing and not sitting on toilet seats, but I guess Cecil was wrong.
Old 04-10-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Really good episode; however, it's disappointing how they completely avoided the legitimate concern over feces on public toilets. Yeah, your ass cheeks are relatively clean (especially compared to your mouth), and urine isn't a big deal, but don't tell me feces aren't an issue, especially on dark seats. Wipe it down, use it, and do your worst, but let's not romanticize the cleanliness of a public toilet too much now.
Exactly. They wiped down the toilet seats with the q-tips but they never had them tested for bacteria or viruses. They gave the samples to the doctor who basically said urine is sterile and harmless and didn't test them. While urine is sterile, feces on the other hand is not sterile. Feces can have e coli, the hepatitis virus, and so on...