Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Advice for Newbie on projections systems

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-04, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 27" CRT but want something bigger. I can't afford (nor do I really have space) for a large plasma screen. I've been thinking about getting a front projection system on eBay but I know zip about them except that light is measured in lumens and contrast ratio is important. Most of the sites I've found talk about projectors from a biz perspective (projecting powerpoint thingies).

I have a room that is about 12 feet wide by 30 feet. It's a semi submerged room (a little more light than you'd get in a basement).

Would a projection system be good in such a space? Whet entry level projector would you recommend? I will ONLY be using this to watch DVDs. I don't watch any television and I don't project computer stuffs.

I keep seeing inFocus X1s on eBay and read some reviews and they sound good but still, it's a scary purchase. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-04, 01:05 PM

The X1 is an excellent projector in you are going to be using it for only DVD. My advice is to buy one from Best Buy and try it out at home. If you don't like it, return it. Even if you like it, return it and get one from an online retailer at a cheaper price. I hate BB, by the way.
Old 04-06-04, 01:12 PM

Thanks hoyalawya. I'm in Toronto, Canada, though. I don't think we have best buy here.

edit: hey! just found some at futureshop. Wasn't aware they sold them. Thanks hoy!

Here's what's available from Futureshop. Thoughts on the other units?

Last edited by mensachicken; 04-06-04 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by mensachicken
Thanks hoyalawya. I'm in Toronto, Canada, though. I don't think we have best buy here.

edit: hey! just found some at futureshop. Wasn't aware they sold them. Thanks hoy!

Here's what's available from Futureshop. Thoughts on the other units?
Best Buy owns Futureshop, so essentially, it is a Canadian Best Buy.
Old 04-06-04, 03:06 PM

You should definitely try to see at least 1 DLP projector before you buy. That Futureshop idea is a good one. Some people are bothered by "rainbows" that they see with DLP, other people are not. If you are, then LCD will be a better choice for you.
Old 04-07-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Read some of the articles at this web site before you decide what to buy:

www.projectorcentral.com

It is the most helpful resource on the web about home theater projectors.
Old 04-14-04, 04:17 PM

Projectors aren't for everyone. They need very good light control, and your room geography has to be able to accomodate the projector and screen. But assuming you can meet those standards, projectors are amazing. I just bought the Sony HS20 last month, and am thrilled to death with my 117" picture.

As for the X1, the rainbow problem is the main reason I stayed away from it. I didn't see them, but some of my guests probably would. The Benq 6100 is price competitive with the X1, but has a faster color wheel, decreasing the probability of rainbows.