Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ebay Question: Buyer Pays Shipping On Item That Had Free Shipping...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had an ebay auction end and in my auction I stated that if using the Buy it Now feature, shipping was free. However, the person who purchased the item paid for shipping even though I stated in the auction there was no need. There was a shipping fee listed in case someone didn't use the Buy It Now feature. My question is, is it fair for me to keep the shipping fee and call it a mistake on the buyers end?

I am somewhat confused. On one hand, it was right there in front of the buyer that shipping was free yet they chose to pay for it.

So, if you were me, what would you do? Refund shipping to the buyer or just forget about it. The shipping fee was $3.50, and when you include the paypal fee, it comes to about 2.81 remaining from the shipping fee.
Old 04-05-04, 10:15 PM

Well, if you need the $2 and change that badly, keep it. Otherwise, think of how surprised and happy the buyer will be when he receives the merchandise and some extra cash. He'll most definitively will give you the highest praise in his feedback.
Old 04-05-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by basketb
Well, if you need the $2 and change that badly, keep it. Otherwise, think of how surprised and happy the buyer will be when he receives the merchandise and some extra cash. He'll most definitively will give you the highest praise in his feedback.
That is what I was thinking.......
Old 04-06-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Maybe it was a tip.

Last edited by damn_skippy; 04-06-04 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I assume that the shipping fee was to cover media mail or regular mail - possibly you could "upgrade" the shipping to priority mail - I've done that when a buyer has overpaid on s/h.
Old 04-07-04, 10:53 AM
PwA

id go with marty.. upgrade the shipping for them

it would look good on your part, and your doing them a favor
Old 04-08-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went with the Priority shipping. I feel good about it too.
Old 04-09-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I do the free S&H w/Buy it Now-thing on most of my auctions. And you wouldn't believe how many people pay shipping. If they mention it to me, the money goes back to them instantly.

Also, PayPal lets you do partial refunds now; it's something new. So you could have refunded $3.50, and PayPal would have refunded your fees, too.
Old 04-11-04, 12:04 PM
Suspended

Re: Ebay Question: Buyer Pays Shipping On Item That Had Free Shipping...

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
So, if you were me, what would you do? Refund shipping to the buyer or just forget about it. The shipping fee was $3.50, and when you include the paypal fee, it comes to about 2.81 remaining from the shipping fee.
Why go the paypal route? Just slip an extra 3.50 in with the item (assuming that it hasnt shipped) with a note.
Old 04-11-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Re: Ebay Question: Buyer Pays Shipping On Item That Had Free Shipping...

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Why go the paypal route? Just slip an extra 3.50 in with the item (assuming that it hasnt shipped) with a note.
And the fee is no longer an issue anyways. If you click on 'refund payment' on the transaction page, you will be allowed to do a partial refund from there. It will refund Bill's original fee, AND won't charge the buyer when it come back to him.
Old 04-12-04, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Well it seems he already sent it out (Priority) but I'll add my two cents anyway. The bidder just paid you, so the balance is still PAYPAL balance, and Paypal doesn't charge fees for balance transfers. Of course, that will leave the question if the winning bidder is also a seller, because if he/she has a Premier account then PAYPAL will charge the fee - but not everyone has a Premier account.

I would've contacted the winning bidder and asked if they wanted their shipping upgraded to overnight (I ship Priority as it is)
Old 04-20-04, 06:04 PM

I bought a circular saw once on ebay. The seller charged me $15 for shipping, which I felt was fair for a large, heavy item. Imagine my surprise when the box included a check for $2 and change, along with a note from the seller that he was refunding the unused portion of the shipping charge.

He got very high praise from me.
Old 04-21-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This happened to me last month. My auction ended with buy it now and he still paid the shipping for a non-bin close. Even though I had it very clear in the description with bold red saying that BIN would get free 2 day shipping. So, I sent a refund with Pay Pal and informed him via email about it. He never replied and never claimed the refund. Strange fella….
Old 04-21-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would refund the shipping charge because the buyer did as agreed.

Please be aware that if you use paypal, a shipping charge sometimes pops up in the box all by itself. The buyer actually has to remove it, sometimes twice, in order for the box to stay blank.

At least three times I noticed an automatic $4.95 shipping charge appear when I did not insert an amount myself.

This could be what happened but regardless, you need to send his shipping money back.