Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Suicide Club is a horrible horrible movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the dvd today and OMG this movie sucked. This has to be in my top 10 worst movies I have ever seen. It was a interesting concept and the first half of the movie was kinda interesting other than the poor acting. After the first half the movie it was so incredibly slow and poorly written. I kept thinking to myself I could have directed this better for around 20 dollars. This is the worst asian horror film I have ever seen. I never knew someone could make such a horrible movie. WOW I just wasted a hour and a half of my life, I so much want it back.
One more thing I think the large amounts of the suicides made the movie kinda dumb. What was the total around 1,000 suicides? There wouldnt be that many people in 1 city that would commit suicide just for the fun of it. Dumb. They could have done so much more with this idea but it was poorly executed.
DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE IT SUCKS.

PS. the dvd quality was poor also. It wasnt anamorphic and the colors were all bland and black levels looked like a vhs tape.
Old 04-05-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to ask yourself.. wouldn't discussing the film be more suited for... Movie talk? Oh, if only there was a forum section devoted for that. I'll start the petition.
Old 04-05-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had this movie on hand for quite a while, but have yet to watch it. Now I'm gonna watch it just to spite you.
Old 04-05-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
When people say stuff like:

I watched the dvd today and OMG this movie sucked. This has to be in my top 10 worst movies I have ever seen.
They are invariably wrong and/or grossly exaggerating.

Such is the case here. Suicide Club is neither great, nor awful.
Old 04-05-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I agree it's not a horrible movie, but then again its not a great movie. It's really good through the first half, and just trails off really badly during the last half.
Old 04-05-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
Although this post is obviously in the wrong forum, I will go along before the move, and concur with the above statement.

A little artsy for my taste, I'm sure the film would have been better if I was fluent in Japanese, as I'm sure some additional cinematic elements are lost in translation.
Old 04-05-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I thought movie discussion was supposed to be in the movie forums. What a nimord newbie!
Old 04-05-04, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by asianxcore
I agree it's not a horrible movie, but then again its not a great movie. It's really good through the first half, and just trails off really badly during the last half.
My thoughts exactly. I was really intrigued through the 2/3's of the movie, but then it just really went downhill and got really, really strange (and not strange in a good way).
Old 04-05-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kinda dig it. I'd agree that the DVD is pretty bad, but I thought the movie itself had a good premise and some decent images throughout. I'd also like to know Japanese or have another translation. It seems as though the Suicide Circle subs are as bad or worse than the Battle Royale English subs. I got the feeling that a lot was lost in translation.
Old 04-05-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Suicide Club is a horrible horrible movie

Originally posted by puddytay
WOW I just wasted a hour and a half of my life.....
Does that include the time you took to type that long rant?
Old 04-05-04, 10:08 PM
Banned

no that only took about 2 mins.
Old 04-05-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what was so bad about the subs? they seemed fine to me when i saw the movie.
Old 04-05-04, 10:41 PM
Banned

I thought the subs looked kinda bland more like captions. Plus there was alot of things that the investigators and such would look at on walls and such but since it was in japense you had no idea what they were looking at.
Old 04-05-04, 11:19 PM
Cool New Member

I agree that this movie was definately not mainstream. Actually the first time I watched it, I thought I liked the begining but then the director decided to have an ART ATTACK a go off on bizarre tangents that contain obscure metaphors for consumerism.

Overall I have to say its a difficult movie, one for the amount of death, two for the bizarre musical number, and three because halfway through it stops telling a story directly and leaves things open to interpretation. Overall I liked it, it made me think, what the hell happened here? Come to think of it, I never quite figured out what happened, but that was part of the fun of the movie!
Old 04-05-04, 11:34 PM
Banned

I dont understand how you people liked this? Why?
1. you all agree it made no sense
2. you all agree you liked the first half but thought the second half fell apart.
3. it had horrible acting.
4. a poor script.

Whats left to like?
Old 04-05-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I dont understand how you people liked this? Why?
1. you all agree it made no sense
2. you all agree you liked the first half but thought the second half fell apart.
3. it had horrible acting.
4. a poor script.

Whats left to like?
that song 'mail me'
Old 04-05-04, 11:52 PM
Banned

hmmm... mail me yeah... that just reminded me how much asian music is screwed up. How could someone listen to such music it really scares me. This was about as screwed up as the boy band they have that dances around in diapeares and weird green clothes.
Old 04-06-04, 01:42 AM

just out of curiosity puddytay, why did you end up watching this movie in the first place? what kind of expectations did you have? i bought this movie on a whim because the whole concept of suicide is interesting to me. yes the movie is poorly written and sometimes characters arent fully drawn out, but i dont think its so terrible that you feel the need to start a thread of hate towards it. i thought it was pretty weird on first viewing, but after your second and third viewing you pick up a lot more and it starts to make some sense. give it another chance.

all those songs by dessert/desret/desart are so catchy! i wish there was a soundtrack or a mail me ringtone.
Old 04-06-04, 02:32 AM

Re: Suicide Club is a horrible horrible movie

One more thing I think the large amounts of the suicides made the movie kinda dumb. What was the total around 1,000 suicides? There wouldnt be that many people in 1 city that would commit suicide just for the fun of it. Dumb.
I'm not sure this is entirely inaccurate. Of course it may be exaggerated for the purpose of making the film more dramatic, but Japan does have the highest suicide rate in the world (and most of the suicides are committed by young people, I might add). This is a pretty well known fact, and it was probably just being exploited for the purposes of the film.

I haven't seen the movie, but 1000 people seems to be just a chunk of the yearly suicide count in Japan.
Old 04-06-04, 02:34 AM

Oh, and I like your name, spinning plates.
Old 04-06-04, 02:46 AM

the opening scene is of 54 suicides and then another 25-35 tops throughout the rest of the movie. 1000 is wayyyy exaggerated.. and yeah the suicide rate is high among the younger crowd mostly due to the extensive expecations caused from school and passing college entrance exams i believe. (correct me if im wrong).

thanks psychlowne.
Old 04-06-04, 06:48 AM

from what i've read (hearsay, so don't quote me), the suicide rate in japan is astronomical, not only among youngsters but all ages. click

also, i have heard that suicide by way of jumping in front of subway trains in japan is/was so popular that the government started billing the bereaved family for cleanup, in an attempt to dissuade would-be suicides. bringing shame upon your family is a big no no in japan.

SPOILERS--> here is a decent interpretation of the movie that i found on livejournal. it's worth a read.

all in all, i was entertained, and even with shoddy a/v quality, well worth my $20 best buy gift card. we all like linear popcorn flicks, but sometimes i like to think after a movie and have entertaining discussions. this was one of the movies that made me do so.

Last edited by malkmuz; 04-06-04 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any movie that shows brain matter on building ledges is allright by me!
Old 04-06-04, 02:45 PM
Retired

Originally posted by eXcentris
When people say stuff like:

They are invariably wrong and/or grossly exaggerating.

As one person's trash in another's treasure so is one person's mediocre movie.
Old 04-06-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it Suicide Club was a pretty good film with an artistically horrific take on society and moral values... It was not a great film, I gave it 6/10...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.