Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDAsian Free Shipping over $39

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let everyone know, DVDAsian.com now has free shipping on all orders over $39. I believe this should put most of their prices at or below that of Koreandvds.com, and you should get it quicker.

The only thing that isn't so great about the free shipping, is that it is media mail.
Old 04-04-04, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that live in the Orange County/L. A. region, you could just stop by their store in La Mirada and pick up your order without paying any shipping charges. This is what I have been doing lately when I buy some DVDs over at DVDasian. Most of the time, they usually give me about a 10% discount off my order.
Old 04-04-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Can I get the address? I'll put it on my list of things to do when I head up to LA next month.
Old 04-04-04, 05:41 PM
Banned

Re: DVDAsian Free Shipping over $39

Originally posted by flashburn
Just to let everyone know, DVDAsian.com now has free shipping on all orders over $39. I believe this should put most of their prices at or below that of Koreandvds.com, and you should get it quicker.

The only thing that isn't so great about the free shipping, is that it is media mail.
Regardless of their shipping, I don't know how you're comparing this place to koreandvds. This place can't even touch the stock that koreandvds has. Most of their american movies are R1 and cost a lot more than you would spend here. And Kdvds has A LOT better pricing...even with their shipping.

It's apples and oranges.
Old 04-04-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: DVDAsian Free Shipping over $39

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Regardless of their shipping, I don't know how you're comparing this place to koreandvds. This place can't even touch the stock that koreandvds has. Most of their american movies are R1 and cost a lot more than you would spend here. And Kdvds has A LOT better pricing...even with their shipping.

It's apples and oranges.
Every time I have priced out an order from both Koreandvds and DVDAsian they have been comparitively the same, maybe a few bucks in difference. I feel that getting my order in 2 days versus well over a week is a good pay off. That and I am not stuck having to go to the post office to pick up my order if I am not at home.

As far as their selection goes, it is just as good as Koreandvds, or infact, even better, since they carry Korean, Japanese, HK, and US releases. The only thing their selection is lacking on is like you said, with their R1 releases, usually if there is an R1 and an R3 release on a film, they might not carry it. A good example is their lack of Superbit titles. But, other than that, I don't see how you can't compare the two stores.

It's apples and apples.

Last edited by flashburn; 04-04-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-04-04, 07:03 PM
Banned

Completely not. They do not stock ONE title that I have purchased from Koreandvds. I only buy R3 versions of american films. Perhaps that is why...but this store sucks in that respect.

Koreandvds seems to be geared much more heavily towards American movies so I don't think they can be compared.
Old 04-04-04, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Can I get the address? I'll put it on my list of things to do when I head up to LA next month.
Store business hours( 10 Am- 9 Pm M-F) (11am-1pm on Sat.) and closed on sundays.

Their store sign is "Omni Video", located between Vons and Rite Aid store in shopping center, cross street at Imperial Hwy and Valley View Ave in the City of La Mirada. Their store is actually a video rental place, but just go to the left back door and ask someone there to help you out.

Omni Video
12801 Valley View Ave, La Mirada, CA 90638

Phone: (562)926-3755, just in case you get lost.
Old 04-04-04, 10:55 PM

DVDAsian and Koreandvds.com are apples and oranges...

DVDAsian is like the US office of Yesasia, which sells DVDs from several different regions(Korea, Japan, HK, US...).

Koreandvds is just a Korean site that has website in English. It only sells DVDs released in Korea.

Unless you are comparing orders consist of only R3 Korean DVDs, they are different in every other aspect. In this case, Koreandvds is much cheaper than DVDAsian, and the former carries almost every R3 Korean DVDs available in the market, but DVDAsian does not.
Old 04-04-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Re: Re: DVDAsian Free Shipping over $39

Every time I have priced out an order from both Koreandvds and DVDAsian they have been comparitively the same, maybe a few bucks in difference. I feel that getting my order in 2 days versus well over a week is a good pay off. That and I am not stuck having to go to the post office to pick up my order if I am not at home.

As far as their selection goes, it is just as good as Koreandvds, or infact, even better, since they carry Korean, Japanese, HK, and US releases. The only thing their selection is lacking on is like you said, with their R1 releases, usually if there is an R1 and an R3 release on a film, they might not carry it. A good example is their lack of Superbit titles. But, other than that, I don't see how you can't compare the two stores.

It's apples and apples.
You're both right.......

Like Digital said, DVDAsian doesn't carry a good majority of "overseas" american films, but they also can't touch KoreanDVDs on their exclusives like the Universal $7 sale, the $3 sale or even the Lee's Fire sale.

Of course, when you factor out most of the "overseas american titles" and include the "R2/R0" films, the free shipping offer makes DVDAsian the better buy in most cases (basically what flashburn said).

*Remember, the golden rule is to maxmize your shipping.

So depending on what you're buying, the store comparisions can go either way.
Old 04-05-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it would be blatantly obvious that of course, they are only comparable on pricing on items which both stores carry. Which is primarily foreign titles only, as that is what DVDAsian specializes in. I guess it isn't too obvious for some...
Old 04-08-04, 08:50 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

DVDAsian is doing what YesAsia has been doing for years, last I checked YA still beats DA on most dvds that I compared.
Old 04-08-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Problem with YesAsia is finding anything in stock... Memories of Murder SE, Save the Green Planet SE, The Quiet Family SE, Acacia LE, Lee Chang Dong Collection, all out of stock.
Old 04-08-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I got all those items at Yesasia (except for Acacia)... depends on when you order them i guess.
Old 04-08-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but Trigger, you have an impulse control problem when it comes to buying Korean DVDs.

A lot of us are still trying to catch up!
Old 04-08-04, 10:15 PM

Just wanted to chime in for dvdasian. I've bought every korean dvd i own from them(over 50 now..) (except for 1.....which i ironically bought at best buy)

Their service is excellent and very generous if you come by and pickup your movies. I've actually never ordered online with them.. always sent them an email and they were kind enough to have it ready when i swung by.

And another thing that does help... if you live in the area, you can call ahead and pickup it up within a couple minutes. Otherwise i send an email in the morning and pickup is usually available after a couple of hours.
Old 04-08-04, 11:17 PM

Sorry, I'm not trying to compare actual stores, I just want some feedback.

I want to buy Battle Royale 2D Starmax version

1) At Koreandvds.com

23 + 6.73 shipping (ouch) = $29.73 Total + 2 weeks shipping time

2) At DVDasian Pickup ( I live 19 miles away from La Mirada)

24.95 + (2.30 x 2 gallons of gas) + 2.06 (CA tax) = $31.61 + Actually leaving the house.

Which do you think I should do? and are there other places where I could do better?

Edit: Opps. Gas actually costs 2.30 a gallon (sigh, the SUV seemed like a nice thing to have a few years ago) so DVDasian is actually more expensive.

I'm not a hermit, but I don't really like driving in LA traffic.

Last edited by cross; 04-09-04 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-08-04, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by cross
Which do you think I should do? and are there other places where I could do better?
If you want the DVD asap, I'd say go pick it up at DVDasian. That way, you don't have to worry about the possibility of the DVD being damaged while it is being shipped to you. Another thing, the people there might give you some sort of discount, so you may not be paying $29.61. Its a possibility.
Old 04-09-04, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1) At Koreandvds.com

24.95 + (1.30 x 2 gallons of gas) + 2.06 (CA tax) = $29.61 + Actually leaving the house.

DVDAsian will definitely give you a discount, whether for being a repeat customer (if you are), or for picking it up. Just send them over an email, they will probably reply in a few hours at the most.
Old 04-09-04, 07:49 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

1) At Koreandvds.com

24.95 + (1.30 x 2 gallons of gas) + 2.06 (CA tax) = $29.61 + Actually leaving the house.

That is easy, DVDAsian. You get it faster, you reduce the chance of damage with no shipping, and in case of rare problems with the packaging, disc, etc. easy return and exchange. You HAVE to leave your house at some point anyway (unless you are a hermit that happens to order everything via internet and mail order). I'm not in the position to pickup from DVDAsian but if I were, I'd even pickup if it costed $2-3 more.
Old 04-09-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mapson
That is easy, DVDAsian. You get it faster, you reduce the chance of damage with no shipping, and in case of rare problems with the packaging, disc, etc. easy return and exchange. You HAVE to leave your house at some point anyway (unless you are a hermit that happens to order everything via internet and mail order). I'm not in the position to pickup from DVDAsian but if I were, I'd even pickup if it costed $2-3 more.
No joke, if I had an import DVD shop of that quality in driving distance, man, I would be broke!
Old 04-09-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No joke, if I had an import DVD shop of that quality in driving distance, man, I would be broke!
Exact reason why I haven't driven down to Poker Industries

Anyway, I love DVDAsian I order and it is on my doorstep in 2-3 days and I live in NJ. You can't beat that. I have yet to place an order with KoreanDVDs, but they have some damn_good prices sometimes and I have been tempted, usually just happens when I can't spare the dough.
Old 04-09-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fnordboy
Exact reason why I haven't driven down to Poker Industries

Anyway, I love DVDAsian I order and it is on my doorstep in 2-3 days and I live in NJ. You can't beat that. I have yet to place an order with KoreanDVDs, but they have some damn_good prices sometimes and I have been tempted, usually just happens when I can't spare the dough.
Yeah, I still order from Koreandvds when they have their sales (like their Superbit sale). But, what a pain it is, it takes about 2 weeks to deliver, and if I am not home, I have to go to the post office to get my package.

I have only placed about 4-6 orders at dvdasian, but every time they arrive in 2 days from Cali to Florida.
Old 04-19-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to chime in here after placing my first order with DVDAsian. Ordered on a Friday, received the package on Monday, from California to New England. This was a +1 pound limited edition (packaged with a book) to boot. I placed an order the same day with DDDHouse - I wonder which month I'll receive that?

If the price differential is not too bad, definitely go with DVDAsian (although their prices seemed to have jumped slightly - they must be competing on service, not on price).
Old 04-19-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, DVDasian is an excellent retailer! Fast shipping.
Old 04-19-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ehonauer
I have to chime in here after placing my first order with DVDAsian. Ordered on a Friday, received the package on Monday, from California to New England. This was a +1 pound limited edition (packaged with a book) to boot. I placed an order the same day with DDDHouse - I wonder which month I'll receive that?

If the price differential is not too bad, definitely go with DVDAsian (although their prices seemed to have jumped slightly - they must be competing on service, not on price).
They definitely have some of the quickest shipping ever. Although, it seems the overall speed of USPS has been improved in the last few months. Every package I get from DVDAsian takes 2 days to get to me in Florida using priority mail.

On another note, a package I ordered from yesasia, that I thought would take forever due to it being sent media mail (and from CA also), arrived in less than a weeks time!