Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring just had its limited theatrical release this weekend here in the US. But I know that the DVD was released in March. I wonder if anyone has this release...

...and how is it?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

DVD Smurf

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 04-03-04 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-04-04, 04:18 AM

I should have it early next week. I'll post my impressions as I'll watch it immediately.
Old 04-04-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this beautiful film last week. Waiting for word on the dvd.
Old 04-04-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This opened in NY on Friday to very positive reviews - also would be interested in hearing about the DVD.
Old 04-04-04, 04:29 PM

I got this over at DVDasian.com about the Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring DVD. It has a sypnopsis of the movie, specs, and some very beautiful, picturesque stills of the movie. I kind of debating on whether I should pick up the DVD or go watch it in the theater, since this movie is playing at a local theater. Click on me.
Old 04-05-04, 04:09 AM

nearly release for France... for this week or the next
Old 04-05-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
It will be on my next order along with Samaria which is now available for pre-order.

Notice that clothing was added to this poster.

Last edited by eXcentris; 04-05-04 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 11:43 AM

DVDBeaver has very good review of it

http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDReview2...mer-winter.htm

i am looking forward to getting this myself
Old 04-05-04, 04:27 PM

Once again, Gary does it, that is provides an excellent review of the DVD on DVDBeaver... (thanks for the link dvdisoil)

I will now place the order...

I am still curious what cinelion thinks about the film, please post your thoughts...

Cheers all

DVD Smurf
Old 04-07-04, 02:43 PM

I have the DVD and it's awesome. Anamorphic widescreen, DTS and English subs. It also has bonuses that do not have English subs such as cast and crew information, the storyline and a presentation by the director at a screening.

Recommended.
Old 04-07-04, 04:02 PM

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring (Not rated)

Director: Kim Ki-duk. With Kim Ki-duk, Oh Young-soo, Kim Young-min, Kim Jong-ho. (103 min.)

Set mainly at a Korean monastery floating in a lake, the five episodes in this seasonal drama show an aging monk tutoring a child in fundamental moral values, losing him to the temptations of the world, and giving up his earthly existence when he feels the time has come. Kim's movie conjures a sense of spiritual discipline as suspenseful as it is stunning to watch and exhilarating to contemplate. In Korean with English subtitles.

The transfer and audio are excellent. I completely agree with Gary's review. A gorgeous and thoughtful film which is both beautiful and contemplative. Highly recommended.

The dvd is packaged in a nice slipcase. I bought it at Yeondvd. Shipping is cheap and their service is top notch.

Last edited by cinelion; 04-07-04 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 08:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Saw the trailer for this, yesterday before "Eternal Sunshine" - the cinematography looks simply stunning!
Old 04-09-04, 12:39 PM

I just saw it at the HKIFF, and all I can say is this:

FAKE. CONTRIVED. FAUX-MYSTICISM AS ENLIGHTENMENT.

If you want a REAL buddhist film with true philosophical implications, watch "Why did Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East", not this hack of a film. I only stayed on for the cinematography.

I'll explain further once I have a chance to write my review. I can't wait to meet Kim himself later next week and tell him personally. On second thoughts, he's a big guy.....
Old 04-09-04, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Grimfarrow

If you want a REAL buddhist film with true philosophical implications, watch "Why did Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East", not this hack of a film. I only stayed on for the cinematography.

I'll explain further once I have a chance to write my review. I can't wait to meet Kim himself later next week and tell him personally. On second thoughts, he's a big guy.....
Tell you what, you are entitled to your opinion but I think critics like A.O. Scott of the NY Times are held in higher regard in terms of film reviews.
Old 04-09-04, 10:08 PM

Need I remind that it was A.O.Scott who called Freddy Got Fingered a "surrealist" film that deserved at least 3 stars?
Old 04-09-04, 11:55 PM

Need I remind that it was A.O.Scott who called Freddy Got Fingered a "surrealist" film that deserved at least 3 stars?
Old 04-11-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
I'm already hesitant about seeing his other two, considering that "Spring, Summer..." has been described to me as a Cliff's Notes version of "Why Has Bodhi Dharma Left for the East?" (a classic)

Sounds to me like you expected this film to be Why Bodhi Dharma Left for the East and that you are now bashing it because it is not. Now I woudn't exactly call this a fair and open-minded approach.

Note that I haven't yet seen this film so I can't comment further.
Old 04-11-04, 11:29 AM

Ugh, no. As I have said, I was willing to give it a fair shake. However, even WITHOUT ever watching Bodhi-Dharma, it is obvious to me that this film is a work of someone who tries too hard to impress. And without the depth to back the bravado up.

In fact, if any film affected my viewing of "Spring...", it's not "Bodhi-Dharma", but a film that I saw right before "Spring...".
Naomi Kawase's "Shara".

After seeing a naturalistic, poetic, and emotionally honest film like "Shara", everything about "Spring..." seemed fake - from the overly ornate set to the cuteness of the boy to the over-acting. Plus, "Shara" also delves into themes of cyclic karma and reincarnation, but it does so with a purity that Kim would never understand.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 04-11-04 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-11-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I love those naturalistic and emotionally honest films. Faux-mysticism is so overrated! Oh, and cyclic karma, thats just stupendous.