Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill: Volume 2 thoughts

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-02-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got back from a screening of this, and can easily say it is a perfect follow-up to Volume 1. If Volume 1 wasn't your cup of tea though, then you may not like this either. I thought Volume 1 was solid, but felt it was somewhat lacking as a film on it's own. However, this is the culmination that makes it a true saga of The Bride.

The movie flows nicely, even though it is 2 hours and some change. Far and away though, the best chapter to me was
Spoiler:
when The Bride (aka Beatrix) confronts Copperhead (aka Elle). The sword play and raw fighting emotin in those scenes was top-notch and kept me intrigued. When The Bride rips out Copperhead's eye, THAT was where it was at. It made me feel like I was knee deep in a QT film. Don't get me wrong, I felt like I was viewing a QT film during Volume 1 and up to that point in Volume 2, but there was something about that scene.

The chapter with The Bride learning her kung-fu techniques was extremely well done as well, and had me laughing more than once.

The Last Chapter was interesting as well. I thought when The Bride saw her daughter (aka B.B.) and Bill, that the story was going to have a change of heart. Maybe they were going to live with eachother happily ever-after. Hell-no!!! It's a QT film, and he does it right (i.e. 5 point Heart Explode Finger of Death baby!!!)

The entire opening montage was smooth as well, with one of my favorite actors making a nice cameo as well:
Spoiler:
Samual L. Jackson (aka Rufus).
His short speech was perfect, and had the few people there roaring with laughter. QT just knows how to do films very well. Every line in the movie just made it seem fun, cool and like I was watching an epic. Each story arc in the film was just so well done, with each having it's own flavor while keeping it as a revenge flick still.

All in all, Volume 2 was well worth seeing and I know I'll be seeing it again at the theaters once it gets released. Uma is just too good of an actor in some films, and this one is no different. Anyone else catch this yet?

Last edited by steebo777; 04-02-04 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-02-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so, while there is no extreme violence like in part one, there still is some blood and guts? is the scene with Michael Jai White and Bill still in the movie?
Old 04-02-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
so, while there is no extreme violence like in part one, there still is some blood and guts? is the scene with Michael Jai White and Bill still in the movie?
There is no over-the-top gore and blood like the Crazy 88 fight in Volume 1, but there are still some nice juicy scenes
And no Michael Jai White in the film.
Old 04-02-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so it seems like qt added alot of stuff, since if these two movies were all one it would be close to 3 1/2 hours long. is there some trademark tarantino dialogue? and is there more language then pt 1?
Old 04-02-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so it seems like qt added alot of stuff, since if these two movies were all one it would be close to 3 1/2 hours long. is there some trademark tarantino dialogue? and is there more language then pt 1?
Yeah he must've added a ton of stuff, but as I said, it fleshed out nicely. The trademark Tarantino dialouge: some lines had it (Rufus' lines were definetly trademark quality), but more like an evolved Tarantino. The dialouge is just exceptional. As for the more language question: Did you mean more swearing, more dialouge between characters or more foreign language spoken? The latter two are both yes. The former answer is there isn't too much swearing in the film.
Old 04-02-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i was wondering morely if we get the triple digit f bomb count that qt is known for. (sorry for all the annoying questions) is this told in chronological order? and is there a little flashback to tell people what happened in part one?
Old 04-02-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i was wondering morely if we get the triple digit f bomb count that qt is known for. (sorry for all the annoying questions) is this told in chronological order? and is there a little flashback to tell people what happened in part one?
No problem on the questions, it's not like I have anything else to do... I'm at work

No, there are no triple digit F-bombs. It is sort of told in a chronological order (flashbacks, frame-style story, etc.). And the viewer gets the gist of what happens in Volume 1, even though it is not laid out completely in the begining of Volume 2.
Old 04-02-04, 12:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KB1 might not be as violent as KB2, but the new film is twice as brutal. The scenes with Pai Mei give Uma a chance to show off some incredible "extreme pain" acting.

The film is a perfect conclusion to the story - ending on a pitch-perfect note of emotion.

What might bother some people could be the length, and the extreme "talky" vibe of the film, which directly opposes the bullet-train pace of KB1. A lot of the material the fanboys are primed to see has been removed/changed for the final cut as well.

But Carradine kills, Uma kills, and the Elle vs. Bride fight sequence is a classic.
Old 04-02-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and the anime sequence got cut?
Old 04-02-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and the anime sequence got cut?
No anime in Volume 2.
Old 04-02-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Was Pai Mei dubbed? One reviewer said that all of the Pai Mei's lines are subtitled. Extra (And Imdb) says that Quentin dubs his voice.

Your final answer?
Old 04-02-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Final answer... subtitled, not dubbed, and strokes his beard like a badass
Old 04-02-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Cool. One more question.

Vernita,O-Ren,and GoGo are all listed in the cast for Vol-2. I understand that Vernita and O-Ren have "new" sequences that are in the chapel. But does GoGo have any new "flashback" scenes?
Old 04-02-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Michael Jai White or Anime Sequence?

Oh well, there is always the dvd release.
Old 04-02-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by scott shelton
KB1 might not be as violent as KB2, but the new film is twice as brutal. The scenes with Pai Mei give Uma a chance to show off some incredible "extreme pain" acting.

The film is a perfect conclusion to the story - ending on a pitch-perfect note of emotion.

What might bother some people could be the length, and the extreme "talky" vibe of the film, which directly opposes the bullet-train pace of KB1. A lot of the material the fanboys are primed to see has been removed/changed for the final cut as well.

But Carradine kills, Uma kills, and the Elle vs. Bride fight sequence is a classic.
while 2 may have alot of talking, if the dialogue is anything like other qt movies, i defently won't be dozing off.
Old 04-02-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You definetly won't doze off in this, since it is QT dialouge we're talking about here (even if the F-bomb wasn't triple dropped ).

As for Vernita, O-Ren and GoGo: Vernita and O-Ren are in the opening montage
Spoiler:
of the entire gang taking everyone out at the chapel, along with The Bride.

GoGo is just shown in the end credits, along with everyother single character in the movie. There is like 3 different credit endings to the movie, which was odd by fun still. The credits are just for show though, nothing in terms of story or additional dialouge occurs.

Last edited by steebo777; 04-02-04 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-02-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so this is a stay till the very end of the credits since a bunch of stuff happens durring them.
Old 04-02-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
so this is a stay till the very end of the credits since a bunch of stuff happens durring them.
There are clips for each cast credit, but there's a "blooper" at the very, very end.
Old 04-02-04, 03:20 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

while 2 may have alot of talking, if the dialogue is anything like other qt movies, i defently won't be dozing off.
Oh, the QT fans are going to love it.

The average filmgoer might have a harder time with it. Especially if they come waltzing in expecting the instant visceral punch that KB1 provided.

KB2 takes about a good hour to ramp up to the energy level of the first film.

This isn't a criticism, but just a heads-up to anyone bringing a seat belt with them to the theater for this installment.

Too bad another good film with the same theme, but decidedly different goals, is opening up that very same weekend (THE PUNISHER). I would hate for the two films to underperform because of it.
Old 04-02-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys. Waiting out the next two weeks until I can see the film are going to be tough, especially as I hear more postive things about it.
Old 04-02-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
No anime in Volume 2.

Wooo HOOOO!!!!!! I couldn't take another one.
Old 04-02-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
YAY! seeing it on monday.
Old 04-03-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Ebert and Roeper gave it two real big thumbs up. Ebert even said that this will be put in his top ten this year.
Old 04-03-04, 12:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Seeing it on Monday with Jack!
Old 04-03-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Seeing it on Monday with Jack!
Sounds like a good date. You kids have fun.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.