Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Shins: Good live?

Old 04-02-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Shins: Good live?

I just got tickets to their Wiltern show and a friend told me he heard they only play like 45 minutes and they just stand there like Pink Floyd. Anyone seen The Shins and how good were they. I absolutely love the two albums.
Old 04-02-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought they were great live. I saw 'em at the Austin City Limits Festival, and they only played for an hour, but that was all the time they were given. They don't really run around the stage or anything (but would you really expect that?), but they are energetic. Their keyboardist is also extremely funny and does a good bit of talking between songs (the lead singer barely speaks at all).

They were good enough that my friend, who had never heard them before the festival, called me a week after the festival was over and asked me "for the name of that band again" so that he could pick up their CDs.
Old 04-02-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i saw them last summer and wasn't totally impressed. yeah, they did seem to just stand there.
Old 04-02-04, 12:42 PM

i saw james mercer doing his solo acoustic thing at the knitting factory in la and i ended up falling asleep since i was sitting on stage.
Old 04-02-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw them at Maxwells in Hoboken, NJ about a year or so ago and thought they were very good. Wasn't much 'movement' on stage, but it is a small venue with not a lot of room. They were energetic. Another plus was David Cross came in and was standing next to me and my girlfriend. (they are label mates on SubPop).
Old 04-05-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by spinning plates
i saw james mercer doing his solo acoustic thing at the knitting factory in la and i ended up falling asleep since i was sitting on stage.
You were sitting on stage and you fell asleep? That must have been embarrassing when you woke up. Did he see you asleep?