Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Alamo clips

Old 04-01-04, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Alamo clips

I was just on Yahoo Movies checking for some new trailers (was looking for the Dodgeball trailer, but it's not up on their site yet...) and I came across these new clips from The Alamo. They all look pretty cool, especially some of the action scenes. I think the music in the movie is also going to be well done. We'll see....

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf...402862&intl=us
Old 04-01-04, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the post....can't wait for 4/9
Old 04-01-04, 12:10 PM

Somebody explain to me the significance of the Alamo. The Texans got slaughtered by the Mexican army and everyone calls them heroes. I have never understood this. I know they were badly outnumbered but they got overrun also. They didnt put up any heroic resistance.

Plus they were all illegal aliens in a foreign land.
Old 04-01-04, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Well, the battle basically symbolized the beginning of the freedom of Texas and its acquistion by the United States. Unless I'm missing something, I'd say that's pretty signicant. The individuals, please note, both Texans and Mexicans, who defended their position within the Alamo began what would become a free Texas and ultimately a part of the United States. I believe only about a month after the battle of the Alamo, Santa Anna and the Mexican army were defeated and Texas became a republic. After we acquired the land from the Louisiana Purchase, which bordered Texas, moving westward and as far south as possible was the most logical move for the United States in its attempt to expand.

This is the way I understand it. And, I think the movie is not going to be portrayed as American propoganda. I think the movie will accurately reflect what happend at the Alamo and be a catalyst for some to understand why it was significant.
Old 04-01-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Isn't this movie going to contain the battle of San Jacinto as well?
Old 04-01-04, 01:56 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Isn't this movie going to contain the battle of San Jacinto as well?
Now that I don't know, but it would be great if the movie did include this. I'd be willing to bet the movie includes a bit about this battle towards the end, just to show the significance of what people have just watched. I mean, not only did the battle of the Alamo set the stage for the independence and acquisition of Texas, it basically opened up everything west of Texas as well. Well, I can't wait for the movie!
Old 04-01-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Well there is footage in the trailer that shows some battle scenes occuring in a field (Unless that's Goliad) and Sam Houston (Dennis Quaid) is seen doing a "Braveheart" trying to rally troops up for what looks to be a fight.

It's just strange to see an Alamo movie that doesn't conclude once that battle ends. And if this movie does include the San Jacinto fight, then this may actually be the first Alamo film where a character is heard saying "Remember the Alamo"
Old 04-01-04, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Good point. My take on it is that I don't think they'll actually show the battle of San Jacinto, but that they'll basically end the movie after the battle of the Alamo and then do a conclusion with subtitles that gives a chronological order of what happened in the next few months, with the battle of San Jacinto being one of those events. 'Know what I mean? I'm trying to think of a good example but my mind is escaping me at the moment...

Did you happen to run across anything about the Alamo on the History Channel the last day or two? I caught the end of a roundtable discussion with Thornton, Quaid, and Patrick Wilson that was pretty cool. Billy Bob is going to fit quite nicely into the part of Davey Crockett.
Old 04-01-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kcbrett5
Somebody explain to me the significance of the Alamo. The Texans got slaughtered by the Mexican army and everyone calls them heroes. I have never understood this. I know they were badly outnumbered but they got overrun also. They didnt put up any heroic resistance.

Plus they were all illegal aliens in a foreign land.
don't mess with texas