Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will watching "Texas Chainsaw.." (03) ruin (74) if I haven't seen?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 04:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts

I have the original and have yet to see it, for no other reason than time. But since the new one is out and I usually like to just rent these new releases that I don't plan on buying and therefore have to watch (only way to see a movie when I have a time limit). That being said, will watching the new release spoil at all, plot, mystery, horror of the original? Thanks for comments.
Old 04-01-04, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
watched the original first...
Old 04-01-04, 05:52 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 915 Likes on 774 Posts
so it will ruin it? i was looking to rent something today as i am sick and not going into work and rather rent josh...but really ruin?
Old 04-01-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Scott, if by ruin you mean, will people die, than yes, it will ruin it

The basic storyline is the same, it's based on a historical event anyway. There's a guy in Texas who killed and stalked people with a chainsaw. His family is involved in some way, I won't spoil that for you.

But it's your basic horror movie either way. I think you may actually enjoy 74 more if you see 03 first because it's much better.
Old 04-01-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
it's not based on a historical event... you can check it out on snopes... it's very loosely based on a real guy or guys, but nobody with a chainsaw or whatever else.

Go ahead and see it - it's the same movie basically but with better acting, cinematography, directing and effects than the original. It's not going to ruin anything. Neither film is all that special, so don't worry about it.
Old 04-01-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wouldn't ruin it that much but t wouldnt make much sense either. The old one is much better. Don't bother with the new one.
Old 04-01-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVD Josh
The basic storyline is the same, it's based on a historical event anyway. There's a guy in Texas who killed and stalked people with a chainsaw. His family is involved in some way, I won't spoil that for you.

Anyway, if I were you, I would watch the original first.
Old 04-01-04, 08:17 AM

Maybe watching the new one first is in order; you'll enjoy it more if you don't have the original as a point of comparison
Old 04-01-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Go ahead and see it - it's the same movie basically but with better acting, cinematography, directing and effects than the original. It's not going to ruin anything. Neither film is all that special, so don't worry about it.
I don't agree with anything you said here. IMHO, the original far surpases the remake in all of these, even with modern technology. Although perhaps arguing the finer cimematic points of these movies is an exercise in futility
Old 04-01-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I'd say watch the first one. The sequel is sort of a nice side-piece, and good. Sort of like watching a Directors Cut of your favorite film, and then still liking the theatrical version more. Know what I mean?
Old 04-01-04, 10:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To me, they are completely different in tone and style (74 has more of an unsettling amateurish documentary feel, whereas 03 is more stylized grit). Furthermore, I think the stories are nothing alike. Yes, the basic setup and situation are the same, but most of the events of the movie are either completely different or have different outcomes.
Old 04-01-04, 03:55 PM

I agree with DRG. The 74 movie was freaky while 03 had more of a 'hollywood' feel to it. I loved them both though.

doc
Old 04-01-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would skip the remake alltogether and just watch the original. It'll save you $4 and spare you a crappy movie.
Old 04-01-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just saw this. Was impressed that there was no techno/hip hop/death metal (despite it taking place in '74) soundtrack to it.

Hats off to the filmmakers for having an appropriate soundtrack!
Old 04-02-04, 08:26 AM

No probably wouldn't ruin it as far as storyline goes because there is a few differences but you will think that original isn't that good.
Although the first death scene is pretty brutal, I myself didn't like the original. And that guy in the freakin wheelchair who kept shouting Sally all the time was so annoying. It made me want him to die.
Old 04-04-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I say no. There's enough similarities in the remake to remind you of the original, yet it's different enouh to keep you guessing.

to both films
Old 04-04-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Will watching "Texas Chainsaw.." (03) ruin (74) if I haven't seen?

Originally posted by scott1598
I have the original and have yet to see it, for no other reason than time. But since the new one is out and I usually like to just rent these new releases that I don't plan on buying and therefore have to watch (only way to see a movie when I have a time limit). That being said, will watching the new release spoil at all, plot, mystery, horror of the original? Thanks for comments.

If you already have the original in hand, just watch it. Rent the remake later.
Old 04-04-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I thought they were both good in their own way. I recommed the original first to see the story done in a raw, gritty, style and then popping in the new version to see it done with money invested.
I was able to watch them both last night and the first one doesn't take that much time at all. You can take em both in in less than three hours if you pop them in one after the other.
Old 04-05-04, 01:48 AM
Banned

I hated the original. I really enjoyed the remake. I thought the first one was really boring and poorly paced this new one was quite good. Kinda the same movie but the new one is more hollywood so its alot more entertaining and parts are even really humourus.
Old 04-05-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Original: ****/****
Remake: ***/****
Old 04-05-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by puddytay
I hated the original. I really enjoyed the remake. I thought the first one was really boring and poorly paced this new one was quite good. Kinda the same movie but the new one is more hollywood so its alot more entertaining and parts are even really humourus.

And we all know, More Hollywood-style films = more entertaining films!
Old 04-05-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Will watching "Texas Chainsaw.." (03) ruin (74) if I haven't seen?

Originally posted by scott1598
Do yourself a favor: Buy the new TCM on DVD and use it as a coaster for your beer while watching the original.
Old 04-05-04, 01:29 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Hats off to the filmmakers for having an appropriate soundtrack!
Largely because their negotiations with Marilyn Manson broke down.