Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Billy Bob is back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Billy Bob is back!

And killing mexicans. In the alamo that is. Anyone else think this looks like a good flick?
Old 03-31-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I like billy bob and I think the movie should be good. Although it was originally planned for Christmas day last year, they decided to add some new scenes and also how many Alamos has this been?
Old 03-31-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait for the final shoot out scene that takes place in the basement.

Billy bob ever leave? Bad santa was pretty damn funny.
Old 03-31-04, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I can't wait for the final shoot out scene that takes place in the basement.
lol, i've been waiting for years
Old 03-31-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jonpeters
.............and also how many Alamos has this been?
The more notable ones that I can recall:
The Alamo (1960) with John Wayne, Richard Widmark, and Laurence Harvey
The Last Command (1955) with Sterling Hayden
Disney's Davy Crockett (mid 50's) with Fess Parker
13 Days to Glory (late 80's TV movie) with James Arness, Alec Baldwin, and Brian Keith

Wayne's "The Alamo" is one of my favorite films of all-time. As for the new one, I expect that it will be the most balanced and historically accurate representation of the battle (though that might not translate to it being a better movie than its predecessors). I'm looking forward to it despite its somewhat troubled path in getting to the big screen.
Old 03-31-04, 11:03 PM

There was a good article about the problems they've had with the movie at nytimes.com.

Last edited by Shonn; 03-31-04 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-01-04, 11:53 AM

Too bad she hadn't actually seen the movie.

I'll be interested to see how this is. I'm a sucker for movies with historical themes.
Old 04-02-04, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Seriously though, who writes an article like that without seeing the film first?

Anyone else catch that alamo special on TV the other night? It was cool to hear the actors talk about the film.
Old 04-02-04, 01:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I didn't know he left either - he was perfect for Bad Santa.
Old 04-06-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Just saw a preview of The Alamo tonight... and I almost wish I didn't. To be blunt, the script and directing wasn't on target at all. From the beginning to the shootout I was trying to garner emotion for the lead characters, but just couldn't do it. It just did not have the flow, pace or emotion it needed to carry throughout the film. Even the shootout itself was substandard. Nothing too interesting (other than alot of killing). The sidestories of the charcters they tried to develop just fizzled out
Spoiler:
like the two slaves digging the hole and getting out
, where completely forgotten
Spoiler:
like Houston's drinking problem, although there was rapant drinking during those times
or were just unneeded
Spoiler:
like Patric's wife dying or him dying. And what the hell was up with the ending? I thought it was named The Alamo.

The on truly saving grace was Billy Bob's Davy Crockett. He put on a solid acting performance. He stole nearly every scene, including
Spoiler:
him breaking up the fight, playing the violin on the tower and right as he was dying as the last man standing especially.

I have never seen anything by John Lee Hancock before, but I must wonder after this movie: How in the hell did he land the writing (partial) and directing duties for this film?

All together I highly advise to skip this film completely, but everyone has their own opinions. To put it into perspective, my friend who was running the screening got up after the battle scene and said he was leaving. He has only walked out on two movies in his life. It was boring him too much, and he'd rather do work than watch the rest. That's pretty much my feeling of the film

Last edited by steebo777; 04-06-04 at 10:37 PM.