Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

"wavering lines" on all dvds played?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-04, 04:30 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what is causing those "wavering lines" which appears on every dvd I own (some worse than others). I do not have a Hdtv, just a 2 yr old sony wega 32" and a brand new sony dvd/vcr combo. I am talking about the image having wavering lines which are obvious in scenes with blinds or a striped tie and camera movement makes it more obvious. Do I have a cable problem or do I just have a lousy system. Dvd player is connected to tv via component video cable ($20 G.E. - I know, not the best around) I am a novice at this but I thought images from dvds are supposed to be picture perfect.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-04, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found your problem--Sony dvd/vcr combo. Why?????

Anyway, it is probably the non-hd tv. Using progressive scan mode will eliminate most of that edge problem. But you need a prog. dvd player and a tv that can display it.

Best bet is to watch movies with no stripes. And avoid combo units. They are simply inferior in quality/reliability.
Old 03-31-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like moire from the stripes or diagonal lines from the blinds clashing with the dot pattern of your screen. Short of having a HDTV or digital TV capable of a progressive mode you really can't do anything about it.