Search this Thread

Old 03-30-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microsoft and Electronic Arts May Work Closer - Forbes.com

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/0...ahoo&referrer=

Microsoft and Electronic Arts May Work Closer
03.30.04, 12:00 PM ET

Credit Suisse First Boston said Microsoft indicated it is taking "at least a year off" from releasing sports videogames. CSFB said Microsoft believes its sports franchises need more work to compete with games from Electronic Arts and Sega. The research said that in 2003, Microsoft's sports titles accounted for $30 million in U.S. sales or 15% of the market for its Xbox console, according to NPD, while Electronic Arts' share of the Xbox sports market was 66%, or $131 million. CSFB said, "This is clearly a positive for Electronic Arts and may be the first sign of a closer relationship between the two companies." Microsoft's decision makes it more likely that after Electronic Arts' exclusive agreement with Sony expires in June, it will support Xbox Live.
Jeremy
Old 03-30-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading an IGN interview a couple months ago about EA's plan to support Xbox Live soon. It's about damn time!
Old 03-30-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be nice if they'd also manufacture discs that wouldn't give me dang errors and choppy FMV while I'm playing. It only happens with EA titles .
Old 03-30-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
I never heard that they had an exclusive deal with Sony. I always heard that EA did not like MS's online structure. Anyone know more info about the Sony deal?

Maybe this season they will design Madden/NCAA for the XBox instead of the less capable PS2. It would be great to see Madden take more advantage of the Box, and be on XBL.
Old 03-30-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
I never heard that they had an exclusive deal with Sony. I always heard that EA did not like MS's online structure. Anyone know more info about the Sony deal?

Maybe this season they will design Madden/NCAA for the XBox instead of the less capable PS2. It would be great to see Madden take more advantage of the Box, and be on XBL.
Yeah - I'd heard rumblings about MS and EA making up many times before, but this is the first time I heard of any exclusive deal with Sony. That might be what has been holding EA back for a while now.

Reading this, I wonder if it's more than a coincidence MS canceled their XSN sports titles for this year. The Sony Online exclusivity agreement would end in June, right before EA starts releasing their next season of sports games.

Jeremy
Old 04-07-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Greg Thomas Interview
President of Visual Concepts unveils online plans, first details of ESPN NFL 2K5.

IGN Sports: One of EA's big hang-ups about going on Xbox Live was the fact that they wanted control of their own servers. Do you think LSP now opens the door for EA Sports to be online by the end of the year?

Greg Thomas: I've read different reports where they wanted control of their own content, but they also didn't fell that it was fair for Microsoft to charge. I think they're wrong about that. I think that the Xbox Live service is really impressive in what they've done and by the number of paid subscribers that they have, that really proves it. I think LSP does open it up, though, because it allows you to use your own servers. So if that was EA's problem, then they can definitely be on Xbox Live this year. But if they had a different problem, a billing issue or a revenue concern, then that hasn't changed. If you read every one of their game reviews, they're making a huge mistake by not being on Xbox Live, and that gives people opportunities. But at this point, we're clearly expecting them to be on Xbox Live by the end of the year.
http://sports.ign.com/articles/504/504591p1.html

Jeremy