Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Save The Green Planet

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Save The Green Planet

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-04, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Save The Green Planet

Watched this wonderful dvd from Korea lately and saw this review which exactly says I felt and wanted to express about the film.

This is a remarkable movie, and a joyous viewing experience. Your pre-conceptions are taken on a rollercoaster ride, as are your emotions. You're not sure how you should be feeling so you just go with the flow, and find yourself in some remarkable places. The discs are superb in picture, sound and everything, are unable to be understood by the majority of non-Korean viewers. Don't let that put you off. See this movie.

Apparently this movie bombed in its native Korean market, I have no idea why. It is one of the most inventive, delicious movie watching experiences of my year. I laughed, I cried, and I sat in stunned silence. This superb movie defies description. See it for yourself and I am sure you will agree.

http://www.totaldvd.net/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=5949
Old 03-30-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently recieved this dvd set. It is on my "to watch" list, hopefully this weekend.
Old 03-30-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...lest people reading this post think STGP is some kind of National Geographic TV documentary, here is a review of the movie... it does sound interesting indeed...!...

. . . . . .
Old 03-30-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Here was my mini-review of it from last september -

Save the Green Planet - S. Korea

Ok - for some reason I thought this was going to be a comedy. It's not. There are some funny moments in it - enough to keep it just lighthearted enough to stomach. It is a gruesome film though - almost deep and thought provoking, but not really. It's one of those films that plays with your mind... there's a little bit of Misery and Silence of the Lambs in here. STGP has alot of tension and suspense and moments where it flip-flops on you just to keep you on your toes. I really liked it. I give it an 8.5/10 and a Definitely one to check out.
Old 03-30-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
It's way up there in my list of best Korean films. Original, inventive and it packs a punch. The allegorical ending seems to throw some people off though.
Old 04-08-04, 06:34 PM

Uh, despite the reviews on this board, I found this flick too long, dragging and just plain stupid. I saw the ending from a mile away and some of the characters, especially the fat chick, were simply unnecessary.

I know why this movie bombed in Korea - it sucked!
Old 04-08-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched it last night. I liked it, a lot.
Old 06-08-04, 11:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I loved this movie, talk about probably the quirkiest film around, the film effortlessly merged so many genres together to create a solid very entertaining film.
Old 06-08-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giles
I loved this movie, talk about probably the quirkiest film around, the film effortlessly merged so many genres together to create a solid very entertaining film.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-12-04, 08:49 PM

i just watched it today, and it definately threw me off. very weird and interesting film.
Old 06-22-04, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this back to back with Oldboy... and I have to say that this is a MUST see. STGP is every bit as vicious as Oldboy... the humor juxtaposed with violence is extremely well done, it was a hoot! Go to yesasia and buy both of these now!
Old 06-26-04, 03:15 PM

Saw on the Exchange forum that someone was selling a "Save the Green Planet" boxset. What extras does this set come with? Is it still available?
Old 06-26-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it's the LE he's talking about that was released it should be long OOP. The extras it came with are the soundtrack, a film cut and a washcloth and Menthol solution to fight the aliens!
Old 06-26-04, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by DrGerbil
Saw this back to back with Oldboy... and I have to say that this is a MUST see. STGP is every bit as vicious as Oldboy... the humor juxtaposed with violence is extremely well done, it was a hoot! Go to yesasia and buy both of these now!
Please, what did you find interesting about this boring and silly flick? I simply cannot see why anyone liked this movie.
Old 06-26-04, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't usually try and justify movies for others. I let the movie speak for itself. If you didn't like it, that's fine. You are in the minority, but that doesn't mean your criticisms aren't valid.

I found this flick too long, dragging and just plain stupid
It did drag at times but the bottom line is, I was entertained.
Some movies have their own logic... so stupid is relative in film. Want to see stupid? Rent Dude, Where's My Car? Better yet, don't!

Also, humor doesn't always translate through subtitles...
Old 06-27-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was sooo disappointed with this film... I thought it would be right up my alley and I thought it fell flat and skwered itself. I dunno, I'm gonna get around to watching it again, but I just can't understand why so many people think it's a good film.
Old 06-27-04, 02:58 AM

At the very least the movie is inventive and largely fresh with a stonker of an ending (last 20 mins), the long incarceration scenes were the only thing that dragged but only because the onslaught of cruelty was mind numbing.

Recommeded.
Old 06-27-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Movies that are original, inventive, daring and take chances are few and far between. Despite the flaws, I find that incredibly more rewarding than your run of the mill mindless entertainment.

I saw Running on Karma a couple of days ago and although not as good, it falls in the same category.
Old 06-29-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Giles
..., talk about probably the quirkiest film around,...
i just finished watching it and i think quirky is an excellent description of STGP. Judging from the cover & opening sequence, i thought it was going to be a fun, weird comedy. i had no idea it'd turn out to be a fairly dark, mish-mash of genres w/ (as i saw it) a cynical view of humanity - admittedly, something right up my alley.
One question:
What's the password for the "X-Files" section of disc 2? i know there's a hint on the main menu, but since i don't read/speak Korean... help?
Old 07-26-04, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by DrGerbil
I don't usually try and justify movies for others. I let the movie speak for itself. If you didn't like it, that's fine. You are in the minority, but that doesn't mean your criticisms aren't valid.

It did drag at times but the bottom line is, I was entertained.
Some movies have their own logic... so stupid is relative in film. Want to see stupid? Rent Dude, Where's My Car? Better yet, don't!

Also, humor doesn't always translate through subtitles...
Well, I guess I'm in the minority among NON-KOREAN viewers but well, it DID bomb in Korea. Not attacking your sense of taste or anything, but I regard this film as yet another failed Korean attempt at moviemaking. It's a good thing the Korean film industry is producing better films along with the occasional turkey.
Old 07-26-04, 03:53 AM

does anyone have a downloadable trailer for this film? read loads about it but not seen any footage.. thanks!
Old 10-04-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw it.

Good, not great.

Very predictable.

Sorta like Frailty with added humor. Rather than mixing genres, however, the film just seems confused.

However, I must get that cover of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" now...
Old 10-04-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Predictable? I'd say that love it or hate it, that film is anything BUT predictable.
Old 10-04-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by eXcentris
Predictable? I'd say that love it or hate it, that film is anything BUT predictable.
Well, when I'm watching a film, and I think to myself "yup, that guy's going to die" or "yup, she's going to run off with that guy", etc and it turns out to be true... I call it predictable.I mean, I'm easily PREDICTING what will happen next.

Saw the twists a mile away. Saw the ending four miles away. I'd be honestly surprised if people were honestly surprised by the film!
Old 10-04-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Well, when I'm watching a film, and I think to myself "yup, that guy's going to die" or "yup, she's going to run off with that guy", etc and it turns out to be true... I call it predictable.I mean, I'm easily PREDICTING what will happen next.

Saw the twists a mile away. Saw the ending four miles away. I'd be honestly surprised if people were honestly surprised by the film!
Many great movies are predictable. Shoot, GBU is predictable, but that doesn't make it a mediocre film. Many bad movies aren't predictable, but that doesn't make them good, either.

For me, the journey matters far more than the ending does...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.