Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

CH Enrollment Codes (Previously "Better Code Thread")

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

CH Enrollment Codes (Previously "Better Code Thread")

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats a dvd?
Old 06-11-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ITALIAN926
Not in my experience applying online.
You may be right. The last time I did re-use a PSN on-line was in March, so I can't say if it is still possible. (Since then I have been using codes that don't require a PSN, with mixed results.) I will delete my post above. Best to use a new PSN for on-line applications or call in orders.
Old 06-11-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by zak52
What's a PSN?
From the FAQ thread at the top of this forum:

h. The CSR or website asks for a "Preferred Status Number" (PSN) with my code. What is that?
Many of the better codes (such as 67P) require a PSN to use. A PSN is simply any previous Columbia House 11-digit membership number. Membership numbers from the Music, DVD, Video, or TV Greats Clubs will all work. If you do not have a previous membership, you should be able to bluff you way through a phone order. Oftentimes on the phone, a CSR will not ask for a PSN, or you can get away with telling them that you don't have one.
Old 06-13-04, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by lizard
You could also use a 2 + 2 + 3 code like DECD. It requires no PSN but does require payment up front (credit card). Although a bit cheaper than the best 6 + 2 codes, DECD is a bit more hassle since it takes three orders to get all your DVDs. Also, they will usually charge a bit too much in shipping ($2.50 each versus $1.99) when you place the order for the last three and you will have to get the mistake corrected. (But sometimes they charge no shipping at all for the final three enrollments.)
I'm ready to pop my CH cherry, but I want to make sure I'm doing things properly. That DECD code looks good since I don't have a PSN or a CC at this time (just changed banks). I pretty much just want to verify that I will have an opportunity to get all 7 DVD's in one pop as opposed to writing three different checks and getting three seperate orders over a period of time. Also, would I get a PSN after making this purchase? I apologize for my ignorance.
Old 06-13-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice , just signed up for another account . Been a while and took some work to find a old customer number but it's in . We shall see if it gets lost
Old 06-14-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Snufflelufugus
I'm ready to pop my CH cherry, but I want to make sure I'm doing things properly. That DECD code looks good since I don't have a PSN or a CC at this time (just changed banks). I pretty much just want to verify that I will have an opportunity to get all 7 DVD's in one pop as opposed to writing three different checks and getting three seperate orders over a period of time. Also, would I get a PSN after making this purchase? I apologize for my ignorance.
No, DECD definitely would require three orders and three checks. There are some codes that require no fulfillment, meaning that you can just place one order, get the DVDs, and cancel the account, but they are quite expensive by our standards here (around $10 per DVD, IIRC).

At minimum, you will need to place two orders with most codes. And the best priced of those 6/2 codes require a PSN or a credit card.

I am afraid I don't have an answer for you. It is actually a bit difficult to find ways to pay using a check (although it can be done using mail-in orders). But in one order with decent prices? I don't think that it can be done.

In answer to the last question: yes, you would get an account number that could be used as a PSN for your next order, thus simplifying things the next time around.
Old 06-14-04, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just write a check to a family member or friend and use their CC for buying movies until I get my own from the bank.
Old 06-16-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bballing
Whats a dvd?
Not necessary newbie.
Old 06-16-04, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by lizard
From the FAQ thread at the top of this forum:

h. The CSR or website asks for a "Preferred Status Number" (PSN) with my code. What is that?
Many of the better codes (such as 67P) require a PSN to use. A PSN is simply any previous Columbia House 11-digit membership number. Membership numbers from the Music, DVD, Video, or TV Greats Clubs will all work. If you do not have a previous membership, you should be able to bluff you way through a phone order. Oftentimes on the phone, a CSR will not ask for a PSN, or you can get away with telling them that you don't have one.
Thanks lizard. Does it have to be a previous membership number or can it be one that you still have opened?
Old 06-17-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks lizard. Does it have to be a previous membership number or can it be one that you still have opened?
An open account number should work fine. (The purpose of the PSN appears to be to show CH that you have been a customer before and have paid your bills.)
Old 06-19-04, 08:15 PM

Received this code in the mail, which looks the same as the other best code available.

J8Y
- PSN required, but not credit card
You get 5 DVDs for 49¢ each-- shipping and processing is FREE!
Take a 6th movie now for $14.95 (FREE shipping and processing)and have only 2 more movies to buy in the next 2 years. Plus, you can even take a 7th movie for the special price of $9.95--shipping and processing is once again FREE.
Old 06-19-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not necessary newbie.

Zip.

It is necessary, I was mocking someone who asked a stupid question. IE the answer is all over the place, look a little.
Old 06-20-04, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Received this code in the mail, which looks the same as the other best code available.

J8Y
Thanks for posting that Movie_Man. The 72SD still works, but it's good to know another current code. I just punched J8YD into the web sign-up screen and it did indeed yield the 72SD type details:

As a Club member, all you need to do is buy 3 more movies in the next 2 years at regular Club prices (currently as low as $19.95 plus shipping and processing). You may cancel anytime thereafter by contacting customer service.

ADVANCE BONUS OFFER!

Take a 6th movie now for $14.95 (FREE shipping and processing)and have only 2 more movies to buy (instead of 3) in the next 2 years. Plus, you can even take a 7th movie for the special price of $9.95--shipping and processing is once again FREE.
Old 06-20-04, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by bballing
Zip.

It is necessary, I was mocking someone who asked a stupid question. IE the answer is all over the place, look a little.
Damn Newbie, if you act like a jerk with something as petty as this, I would hate to see how you react to something that actually means something.
Old 06-21-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn Newbie, if you act like a jerk with something as petty as this, I would hate to see how you react to something that actually means something.
Zip.
Old 06-24-04, 12:24 PM

Thanx for the new code, added to the list.
Old 06-24-04, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Movie_Man

J8Y
- PSN required, but not credit card
Take a 6th movie now for $14.95 (FREE shipping and processing)and have only 2 more movies to buy in the next 2 years. Plus, you can even take a 7th movie for the special price of $9.95--shipping and processing is once again FREE.
I can confirm that this code works - I just signed up with it online (applied Tuesday night, approved about an hour ago).
Old 06-28-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sent in a '37G' app last Thursday and haven't heard anything back on it. That's my umm.... 3rd lost application in a row, so looks like I will try phoning in my next order.
Old 06-28-04, 09:21 PM

Phoning is the way to go. I've had eight phone applications accepted in four months (1 TV Edition, 7 regular DVD accts). This was after running a 90% failure rate on web-apps.
Old 06-28-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question on restrictions for enrollment selections - do they apply to the $14.95 DVD you can purchase when enrolling?
Old 06-28-04, 11:24 PM

Yes. The 14.95 title must be available for enrollment (neither the web site nor the CSRs will allow you to select a non-enrollment title on an application).
Old 06-29-04, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks - and one more question, I notice that if you use the "search by selection number" tab, you can enter selections which would not normally appear in the enrollment list, and it will APPEAR to accept them - I got as far as the sign-up screen before aborting. I assume that at some point in the process, the app will be rejected.

I also noticed that the online catalog no longer has asterisks next to ineligible selections. When I opened a new account about a month ago they were still there - however, at least one I saw was wrong. There was an asterisk next to the one-disc edition of Dances with Wolves - but not the 2 disc set (which, in any event, was available).

Last edited by NCYankee; 06-29-04 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-29-04, 11:11 AM

I just tried DEC and DECD over the telephone three times. All the CSRs said it was dead.

DDK and DDM are kaput, also.

Last edited by evitagen; 06-29-04 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-29-04, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by NCYankee
Thanks - and one more question, I notice that if you use the "search by selection number" tab, you can enter selections which would not normally appear in the enrollment list, and it will APPEAR to accept them - I got as far as the sign-up screen before aborting. I assume that at some point in the process, the app will be rejected.

I also noticed that the online catalog no longer has asterisks next to ineligible selections. When I opened a new account about a month ago they were still there - however, at least one I saw was wrong. There was an asterisk next to the one-disc edition of Dances with Wolves - but not the 2 disc set (which, in any event, was available).
There's no question in your post, so I'll say this: if you cannot find a DVD by searching for its title on the enrollment site, you cannot enroll with it [with the exception of the phone-only titles {see the FAQ}]. Some folks got lucky with the Casablanca 2-disc before it was available for enrollment by searching for the selection number, but the success rate is very, very small.
Old 06-30-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have received a "we want you back" code that, while not as good as the 72S type codes listed in the first post, is better than the standard 6/3 deal they send out: JNWD. The "bonus" is $9.95 instead of $14.95, saving $5 on the overall membership cost.

Enrollment: 5 x 49¢ + $9.95 (free shipping) = $12.40 (6 DVDs)
Fulfillment: 3 x $19.95 + $6.97 (shipping) - $5 (web discount) = $61.82 (3 DVDs)

Total = $12.40 + $61.82 = $74.22 (9 DVDs)

Average = $74.22/9 = ~$8.25

JNWD requires a PSN.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.