Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Mario World 1 & 2 appreciation thread.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-04, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just unlocked and fully completed Super Mario World for the first time in about a dozen years lol! Man, what a kickass experience! I was particularly taken aback by the memories I had upon entering the Star World and especially the "Special" section of the map. Man, the stages in that Special road are nothing short of brilliant and quite difficult as well! My favorite part of playing SMW is getting Purple Yoshi and then getting the Wings to fly high over the enemies. Man what a rush!!

Anyway Bowser and his castle were not as hard as I remembered and Bowser in particular wasn't as difficult as some of the other castle bosses(Ludwig anyone?) I mean. just flip the little mecka bowsers up in the air and have them land on Bowser...no big deal.

Anyway it took me like 3 days to complete the game thanks to save states. There's nothing like falling through a crack, dying, then owning every enemy in the stage by coming back to life via hitting "Alt Left" to load the state LOLOL! Gotta love ZSNES! With save states in different locations I can go anywhere on the map at the press of a button hehe!

Super Mario World fun facts:

1)Did you know that the main programmer of the game is not Miyamoto? That's right, it's some guy named Tezuka something! Miyamoto only produced the game!

2)Did you know you can re-enter an already beaten castle by pressing L+R together?

3)Did you know that those Red, Yellow, Blue, and Green blank, dotty blocka can be filled up? By finding certain keys and getting into a special stage that looks like an exclamation mark, once you beat that stage it will smash down and the colour of that stage will result in the block being filled up!

4)Did you know that there is a secret way you can open up and enter a back door to Bowsers castle?

Anyway I just fired up Super Mario World II: Yoshi's Eyeland a couple minutes ago and played it for the first time ever in my life. I am love with the colours and overall graphics but I admit they take some getting used to. They kinda blend in a little too well. I'm not sure whether I like it better than SMW 1 yet....only played like half way through the first stage. It has quite a few additions and little extra things Yoshi can pull off as oppased to the original SMW.

Which game do you guys think is better and is it worth going through Yoshi's Eyeland?

By the way(laces up Reeboks and prepares to run) I've never played Super Mario 64 in my life, only like 5 minutes of it at my buddy's home years ago and I couldn't warm up to it. Yes, you can kill me now! But I have no plans to ever touch that game again! 3D Mariio is like a 3D King of Fighters or 3D Ms Pac-man...just plain WRONG!

Audi 5000 ya'll
Old 03-27-04, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mario World is tied with Shenmue for my favorite game ever. Great game.
Old 03-27-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
A big fat "DUH" to some of those fun facts. But yes, a marvelous game
Old 03-28-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the above post. Anyone who's gotten *96 would know most of those. It's been a while for me playing the original SMW, but it's a great game.

I think the second one is my favorite, though. I really enjoyed the scoring aspect. The game starts out super easy, but the difficulty ramps up dramatically as the game goes on, especially as you go back to get a perfect score in all the levels. It was damn near impossible to get 100 points in some of the levels, but it just made victory that much sweeter when I finally got them all.
Old 03-28-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fun fact: Miyamoto is not a programmer. He's never programmed any Mario game.

Also congrats on not buying a super cheap old games on GBA and Snes. Way to support the game companies.

/sarcasm off
Old 03-28-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Yoshi's Eyeland?
Old 03-28-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tenaciousdave

Also congrats on not buying a super cheap old games on GBA and Snes. Way to support the game companies.

/sarcasm off

I just noticed he was using roms. That's just lame. Buy the game, sheesh.
Old 03-28-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tenaciousdave

/sarcasm off
Well, technically, he wouldn't be supporting the game company if he purchased super-old used copies of SNES games. However, I do agree with the sentiment of your post.
Old 03-28-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Huh? if he bought the game ages ago, what's the problem? I don't have a Gameboy, but I play all my old SNES games on my computer. I'm not going to pay for a GBA to play games I already have bought.

Super Mario World is great, but on replaying it, I found it too easy, even after all these years of not playing it. The first time I played it I didn't find most of the secrets until I'd beaten it normal, so it was a lot more cool. I bypassed whole worlds the second time I played it, and that seemed kind of cheap :P
Old 03-28-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BizRodian
I'm not going to pay for a GBA to play games I already have bought.
Why not? I bought all the Mario games for GBA, and I owned them all back in the day.
Old 03-28-04, 04:32 PM
Banned

**** YOU!! I have owned both games for my Super Nintendo for years! I played SMW 1 years ago on it but didn't get a chance to play YI because my SNES broke down shortly thereafter and haven't bought another one since. So the carts remain in a box in my garage....dumbass.
Old 03-28-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Why not? I bought all the Mario games for GBA, and I owned them all back in the day.
Maybe he doesn't want them for his GBA? He's already bought the licenses to the IP and is within his rights to download the ROM and use it.
Old 03-28-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh boy, a SMW appreciation thread has been derailed with the talk of roms and such. In the future, if you use a rom to play through a game then try to not drop any hints to that effect. It makes things easier all around.

SMW was indeed the pinnacle of the Mario games for me, but don't sell Super Mario 64 short. After I was able to wrap my head around the 3D world it was just as enjoyable as all the other mario games.
Old 03-28-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might want to buy two copies of the game, but I see no need. Of course, if I had a GBA, I'd probably pick it up... but I'm not spending over 100 dollars on a DBA and these games when I already have them.

I don't need a portable version of the game. If I did, I'd have no problem buying it again. I hardly consider this "cheap."

We'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by BizRodian; 03-28-04 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-29-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree, leave the rom talk out. Even though the first mention of it was just sarcasm, it just opens up a whole lot of useless ranting.
Old 03-29-04, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by isamu
**** YOU!! I have owned both games for my Super Nintendo for years! I played SMW 1 years ago on it but didn't get a chance to play YI because my SNES broke down shortly thereafter and haven't bought another one since. So the carts remain in a box in my garage....dumbass.

calm down, no need for insults.
Old 03-29-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, dumbass!
Old 03-29-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really don't understand the hostility in this post.