Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What was this vampire movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-04, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so many many years ago, as a 10 year old boy, I watched a part of a (i believe) vampire movie that had a scene @ a concert. I remember being terrified by this movie and can't for the life of me remember anything else about it other than I think the vampires were in the audience or something, or maybe they were THE BAND. I've been wondering what this movie was for quite a while now. I know "a vampire movie that features a concert" isn't much to go on, but does anybody have any clue what this could have been? It was sometime between 88-90 when I saw it, and it was on TV (might have been HBO or CINEMAX).

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The Lost Boys", from 1987.

I liked that film a lot, and it had a killer soundtrack.

Here's a review from allmovie.com:

In this hit '80s hybrid of the horror movie and the teen flick, a single mom and her two sons become involved with a pack of vampires when they move into an offbeat Northern California town. Lucy (Dianne Wiest) and her sons, Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim), move to Santa Carla to live with Lucy's lovable but curmudgeonly father (Barnard Hughes). Lucy gets a job from video store-owner Max (Edward Herrmann), then begins dating him, while Sam hangs out with Edward and Alan Frog (Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander), a pair of vampire-obsessed comic-shop clerks. Soon Michael falls in with some actual vampires after becoming enamored of one of their victims: Star (Jami Gertz), a gypsy-like vixen who is trying to hold onto her humanity even though vampire leader David (Kiefer Sutherland) wants to play Peter Pan to her Wendy. When Michael visits the cavernous hangout of David and his cronies and unwittingly drinks from a wine bottle full of vampiric blood, he becomes an unwilling member of the bloodsucker biker gang. Soon, it's up to Sam and the Frog brothers to destroy David and his ilk without killing Michael and Star. Shot on location in the coastal California town of Santa Cruz and directed by Hollywood pro Joel Schumacher, The Lost Boys became a pop-culture phenomenon thanks to its attractive young stars, offbeat soundtrack, and hip, clever marketing campaign; the film's tagline — "Sleep all day. Party all night. Never grow old. Never die. It's fun to be a vampire." — perfectly captured its knowing mixture of attitude and gore. The effects team who transformed Sutherland and company into snarling blood-suckers would go on to provide equally gruesome effects for Blade, another revisionist vampire flick, more than a decade later. — Brian J. Dillard

Last edited by Heat; 03-27-04 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-27-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There weren't any vampires at the concert in Lost Boys though. Just Patric & Gertz watching Sweaty Sax Man Timmy Cappelli. Quite a few vampire movies from the 80's, many had concerts. Another that springs to mind is The Hunger.
Old 03-27-04, 02:30 PM

Fright Night. Not a concert, but there is a sequence at a dance club.
Old 03-27-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Lost Boys rocked, and I proudly own the ST on CD.
Old 03-27-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
You might be thinking of "Fright Night," too. Or maybe "Vamp" -- Grace Jones didn't play the vampire, did she? That one was about strippers, not a concert, though.

You didn't happen to read "The Vampire Lestat" or "Queen of the Damned," did you? Both of those featured vampires and rock concerts. It's possible that your imagination blended images from a movie onto memories of the books. (I've done that on occasion...)
Old 03-27-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Like already mentioned, the Lost Boys has an outdoor concert near a pier and the Hunger has the opening sequence with Bauhaus in a club setting. As for scary, I thought Lost Boys had the edge there so that might be the one.
Old 03-28-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Lost Boys rocked, and I proudly own the ST on CD.
When I was in college this was one of my favorite CDs, listened to it all of the time.
Old 03-28-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might be thinking of the beginning of Blade, though it wasn't a concert, it was a rave kind of thing, and it wasn't all that long ago, so maybe not.
Old 03-29-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Doc Mardan, which movie was it?
Old 03-30-04, 01:55 AM

Was it Trick or Treat?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092112/

It's doesn't have vampires but it is a horror movie about a rock star being brough back from the dead.
Old 03-30-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Rockula (1990) ?
Old 03-30-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I haven't seen it in years, but I immediately thought of "Vamp" before reading any of the responses.