Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about the movie Zombie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so with all this Dawn of the Dead talk I rented Zombie from Netflix. It was suppose to be the best zombie movie ever and the bloodiest yada yada yada. So I watched it and once I got over the "God this is crap" phase of the movie I realized something. A question really. Why do all the undead have their eyes closed? Even the conqestadors that have risen have their eyes shut. They shouldn't even have any eye lids! This is a minor thing yes but I think the zombies would have been much scarier if they had eyes. Maybe in the 1970's this wasn't so but come on. I mean someone with spagetti sauce and chaulk dust on their face slowing walking towards you with their eyes closed is scary and all but you can just step to one side and they would walk right past you simply for the fact that they cant see you! But even after that is was good horror flick sometimes mindnumbingly boring like whenever any of the actors spoke but it had it's moments. Am I wrong about the eyes? Feedback will be appreciated.
Old 03-26-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
They can't see you, but they can smell your flesh.
Old 03-26-04, 10:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's not a big-budget mainstream Hollywood film like the remake of Dawn of the Dead. Therefore it is a MASTERPIECE.
Old 03-26-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
It's not a big-budget mainstream Hollywood film like the remake of Dawn of the Dead. Therefore it is a MASTERPIECE.
No, no Groucho, the director is foreign. Therefore, it's a friggin' glorious film cruelly snubbed by Oscar.
Old 03-26-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
No, no Groucho, the director is foreign. Therefore, it's a friggin' glorious film cruelly snubbed by Oscar.
No, no DonnachaOne. It's a movie that J6P would hate so therefore it has to be awesome and they are just too stupid to understand its brilliance.
Old 03-26-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To answer the original posters question: This is a cheap low budget flick, zombie eyes cost more money than spagetti sauce, sawdust and oatmeal.

I'm surprised this foreign movie didn't take home the palm d'oreo from Cannes.
Old 03-26-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Quick question:
Is this movie the same as this? I know it's been covered before, but I can't find the thread off hand.
Old 03-26-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by steebo777
Quick question:
Is this movie the same as this? I know it's been covered before, but I can't find the thread off hand.
Yes, they are in fact...the same thing. And I enjoy this flick...solid zombie gore. I just had bad dubbing. Why do people shoot movies half in english half in italian? I'll never understand that...Fulci, Leone, who told them that was a good idea?
Old 03-26-04, 02:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
stop all ya's bitchin' and rent "The Beyond"

Zombie's appeal is for its extreme gore and gratiutious nudity. I mean what do you expect from an Italian 80's splatter pic?
Old 03-26-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Why do people shoot movies half in english half in italian? I'll never understand that...Fulci, Leone, who told them that was a good idea?
It was standard procedure in Italy to shoot films MOS (without sound). This solved the problem of shooting a film involving actors from different countries with different native languages (it was cheaper too). Usually the actors would just say their lines in their own language and later the production company would just dub the whole film in various languages for various territories, matching the lip movements as best they could (some matching obviously worked better than others).
Old 03-26-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
It was standard procedure in Italy to shoot films MOS (without sound). This solved the problem of shooting a film involving actors from different countries with different native languages (it was cheaper too). Usually the actors would just say their lines in their own language and later the production company would just dub the whole film in various languages for various territories, matching the lip movements as best they could (some matching obviously worked better than others).
Ha, I understand the reasoning. Doesn't mean it's a good thing. I think Leone's films would've benefited greatly by losing the odd dub, not dubbed thing it had going. Grr...just annoys me.
Old 03-27-04, 12:54 AM

I dunno. The original Dawn of the Dead hit me as greatest zombie movie ever. Followed by Night of the Living Dead, then Day of the Dead. This movie would be somewhere behind the Return of the Living Dead movies to me.

It has its prize moments though. Like shark vs. zombie. And the the nasty wood splinter through eyeball scene.
Old 03-27-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't it filmed by John "You can't see me" Cena's dad?
Old 03-28-04, 03:41 AM

Just part of the effect. Eyes open or closed it would still be "inaccurate" because, in theory, they would have no eyes, lids, or any other skin. Considering what they had to work with and the setup for the movie/zombies, I think going with eyes closed vs eyes open was a good call.

Zombie is a very good horror movie. Not as good as Romero's, but certainly a solid contribution to the genre.
Old 03-28-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
in theory, freshly dead zombies would be able to run and they would have eyes, lids and their clothes wouldn't have to be torn and dirty.