Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TCM's Widescreen vs. P&S tutorial - GREAT!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw a five minute piece that TCM has put together showing the evils of Pan and Scan. It has Scorsese amongst a handful of other well known directors bemoaning how certain films like Ben Hur and LofA are ruined by it. They had great demonstration graphics that left the whole image up while highlighting what you get in P&S and thus allowing us to also see what you are missing.

Anyone else see this? It should absolutely be mandatory to just have this play continuously in all video stores across the country? It was extremely well done without being snobbish in the least.
Old 03-26-04, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
TCM has championed OAR for years now ... nice to see they are getting aggresive n trying to get the word out.
Old 03-26-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hehe, I thought you were talking about Texas Chainsaw Massacre for a sec here! Don't have cable, but kudos to Turner for promoting OAR.
Old 03-26-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw that a few weeks ago when they aired Raging Bull, very cool.
Old 03-26-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox Movie Channel (somewhat surprisingly) has a similar explanation that plays sometimes during the breaks between films.

It explains WideScreen vs. Pan and Scan in a very easy to understand manner... while still holding the hand of the full screen loving folks and saying "there, there, it's ok... we'll play full screen movies sometimes too..."

I'd love to get a copy of this to BORE FAMILY MEMBERS who don't seem to know the difference, as it's very well put together and makes an excellent case for watching films in widescreen.

Anywhere either of these are available online?