Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need MAJOR help setting up my Onkyo HTS760.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I need some major help in hooking up my home theater system. I just purchased the Onkyo ONK HTS760. What I have are the following items:

Onkyo HT system (ONK HTS760)
Sharp cinema select 32" TV (5 years old nothing major)
Sony 5 disc DVD/CD changer (new)
Sharp VCR.

What I want to do is:

Hook up my system so I can watch TV and sound will come through all the speakers(weather it be through the VCR or not, I have basic cable). Be able to hook up my VCR, record and play TV shows, (if I could get this to play through my Onkyo speakers, great, if not if it just played through my TV speaker thats fine too). Watch DVD's and of course have them play through my speakers.

The problem I have now is that I have everything hooked up fine, BUT I can't watch DVD's because the Macrovision copy protection is messing up my DVD movies, because I have my VCR hooked up into my amp too. But I can't figure out how to hook everything up the way I want. I tried to hook the VCR just up to my TV, and everything else as normal, but things got all Eff'd up, and the sound of the TV would not play through the Onkyo system.

If anybody could offer some input that would be great, if you need additional information from me, please let me know.
Old 03-25-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Macrovision shouldn't affect anything unless you are running your dvd player through the VCR.

Just having the VCR plugged into your receiver on a different input shouldn't affect your Dvd quality at all.
Old 03-26-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Macrovision shouldn't affect anything unless you are running your dvd player through the VCR.

Just having the VCR plugged into your receiver on a different input shouldn't affect your Dvd quality at all.
what monk said.. also make sure you have audio cable going from tv(out) to receiver(in) to get 5 speaker audio from cable.
Old 03-26-04, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Thanks for the input, but its still not working, I know I am probably doing something wrong.

I have a set of component (red, green, blue) running from my TV into my amp. Then I have a component set running from my amp to my DVD player. I have my cable runnining into my VCR, then into my TV. I have I left and right RCA cable running from the DVD player into the DVD in on the amp. Then I have a right left and video from the VCR running into the amp(can't remember, I think it runs into video 1 could be video 2 though) Then I have another set of left and right RCA running from the VCR into the amp, I can't remember what input though(or even what this does). I think thats it. Does this sound right? Do I have something crossed up? Sould I be using S-video instead of component wires?
Old 03-26-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. you really only need one set of component cable.. running from dvd player to tv. Let your dvd player do the decoding.
2. you need a optical cable (for sound) going from dvd to reciever of recier support it to get DD.
3. make sure that vcr audio is going in to one of Aux audio inputs and not dvd in.
4. why do you have a second set of rca form vcr to reciever?.... take them out. You do not need a 2nd rca video/audio going from vcr to reciever.. that's what most likely causing your problem. Since you have tv cable going from vcr to tv... that gives you the video.

Last edited by Oraphus; 03-26-04 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-26-04, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Oraphus-You rule!!! Thanks soooo much for the advice!!! I will try that when I get home tonight, if I could I would buy you a beer. THanks again!
Old 03-26-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

feel free to mail it to me
Old 03-26-04, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Oraphus-Could I email you with questions if I have further trouble or questions setting my gear set up??? my email is

[email protected]

thanks!
Old 03-26-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sure... [email protected]