Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

80's New Wave, 2002 shows on DVD...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK,

The Cure's Trilogy has a gotten a lot of buzz, and justifiably so IMO----great DVD. But I just picked up a couple of others that had slipped under my radar that I'm enjoying immensely:

Siouxsie and the Banshees--7 Year Itch. OK, Siouxsie hits (quite) a few bad notes, but the spirit is still there, she looks great, and there's some really electrifying moments here---I"ve watched the performance of "Icon" about 30 times. The band sounds great, with lots of energy and great playing. Filmed in a London theatre, 2002, anamorphic widescreen.

New Order---511. That's 5 Joy Division songs, and 11 New Order songs. The New Order songs all sound great, but man "She's Lost Control" KICKs A$$!!!! Peter Hook is cool indeed. This one song alone was worth the price for me (and it's under $10 at DDD). Filmed at an outdoor festival in England, 2002, anamorphic widescreen.

Anyone else enjoy these, or have any other great 80's new wave/ punk live DVDs?
Old 03-25-04, 04:28 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: 80's New Wave, 2002 shows on DVD...

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
Peter Hook is cool indeed.
To quote Hook himself, commenting on The Clash's Paul Simenon (but applicable also to Hook) - "What a strap length!"
Old 03-25-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 80's New Wave, 2002 shows on DVD...

Originally posted by Ky-Fi
Anyone else enjoy these, or have any other great 80's new wave/ punk live DVDs?
I don't own any of those titles you mentioned above yet, but I plan too. Especially the New Order one.

I am not going to go buy the "2002" in your title, just because I can't think of any of the top of my head besides the ones you mentioned.

Here is my list of similar titles that work within new wave/punk criteria (and then some )

Christian Death Live - Great DVD! Think it is a port of the VHS, but still a great show. Yes not New Wave or Punk, more gothic but since it is the original line up it has a punk rock feel to it.

Dead milkmen - Philadelphia In Love - Buy it now. Videos and some live footage. RIP Dave.

Bauhaus - Gotham - not a bad dvd. A good show.
Old 03-25-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No kidding, it's like below his knees!

And plus, he plays most of his stuff way up on the highest register of the bass, which is hardest part to reach when it's that low. He doesn't seem to have back problems yet...