Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Monty Python's "Life of Brian" to be re-released in theaters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I'd love to see it in the theaters. This is one of my favorite movies.

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Attendee: Brought peace?
Reg: Oh, peace -- shut up!
Reg: There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all.
Dissenter: Uh, well, one.
Reg: Oh, yeah, yeah, there's one. But otherwise, we're solid.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html

Python's 'Life of Brian' to be re-issued
Film earned protests on original 1979 release

Wednesday, March 24, 2004 Posted: 7:45 PM EST (0045 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Coming back soon to a theater near you -- a controversial film about a Jewish guy from Nazareth who is worshiped as the Messiah and crucified by the Romans.

No, it's not Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." It's Monty Python's "Life of Brian."

Inspired by the runaway success -- and public furor -- over Gibson's portrayal of the last 12 hours in the life of Jesus, the creators behind the 1979 biblical satire about an anti-Roman activist who spends his life being mistaken for a prophet are planning a 25th anniversary re-release next month.

"Life of Brian" will open at the end of April in Los Angeles and New York before expanding to other cities across the country, Rainbow Film Company president Henry Jaglom, whose distribution arm is reissuing the film, said Tuesday.

Jaglom, a writer-director whose partner, John Goldstone, produced the original film, said trailers for the comedy would appear in theaters starting on Good Friday.

"We decided this is an important time to re-release this film, to provide some counter-programming to 'The Passion,' " Jaglom told Reuters. "I intend it, hopefully, to serve as an antidote to all the hysteria about Mel's movie."

He said marketing for the re-release would play off Gibson's film by adapting such taglines as "Mel or Monty" and "The Passion or the Python" -- "we want to give people a choice."

The members of the Monty Python comedy troupe -- John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Eric Idle and the late Graham Chapman (who played Brian) -- all shared writing credits on the film and won back theatrical rights to it several years ago. Jaglom said the surviving members "all agreed this was a good time" to re-release the film and would help promote it.

Uproars
Owing to a heavy turnout by Christian moviegoers and weeks of intense media attention, Gibson's film opened to blockbuster success on February 25 -- Ash Wednesday. "The Passion" has gone on to generate nearly $300 million in North American ticket sales alone, becoming the highest-grossing R-rated film of all time.

"Life of Brian," stirred an uproar all its own 25 years ago, with some Christians condemning the film as blasphemous. The film only got made when former Beatle George Harrison stepped in to finance the picture after EMI Films withdrew from the project, fearing that it was too controversial.

The movie focused on the fictional Brian of Nazareth, a Jew who is born in the manger next-door to Jesus and grows up to join an anti-Roman separatist group called the Judean People's Front but ends up being mistaken for the Messiah.

The film's creators have said it was meant as a spoof on Bible films and intolerance rather than Christianity.

But that distinction was lost on some who were offended by the irreverent flavor of the film, including a scene in which several crucifixion victims sing and whistle the tune "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" while hanging on crosses.
Old 03-24-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Always look on the bright side of life...
If life seems jolly rotten,
There's something you've forgotten!
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing,

When you're feeling in the dumps,
Don't be silly chumps,
Just purse your lips and whistle -- that's the thing!
And... always look on the bright side of life...

whistle
Come on!

other start to join in
Always look on the bright side of life...
whistle

For life is quite absurd,
And death's the final word.
You must always face the curtain with a bow!
Forget about your sin -- give the audience a grin,
Enjoy it -- it's the last chance anyhow!

So always look on the bright side of death!
Just before you draw your terminal breath.
Life's a piece of sh*t,
When you look at it.

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
You'll see it's all a show,
Keep 'em laughing as you go.
Just remember that the last laugh is on you!

And always look on the bright side of life...
whistle
Always look on the bright side of life
whistle

I wonder if religious groups will protest this sick sick attempt to mock our lord and savior who died for our sins. They should be taken out back and flogged to death!
Old 03-24-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool this might get me to make a second trip to the theaters this year
Old 03-24-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Classic! I am so there . . . x 2
Old 03-24-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pound for pound, the greatest comedy in the history of cinema! I'm so there for this one, at least twice!
Old 03-24-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

awesome, I'd definately go.

birrman54
Old 03-24-04, 11:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is the strongest of all the Python films. I am there.
Old 03-24-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Monty Python's "Life of Brian" to be re-released in theaters

The movie focused on the fictional Brian of Nazareth, a Jew who is born in the manger next-door to Jesus and grows up to join an anti-Roman separatist group called the Judean People's Front but ends up being mistaken for the Messiah.
"F**k off! We're the People's Front of Judea!"

Reuters really messed up here.
Old 03-24-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man I am all over this. Never seen a Python on the big screen yet!
Old 03-24-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Suprmallet
This is the strongest of all the Python films. I am there.
I agree. For some reason most people say "The Holy Grail" is the best one. That one was good, but Life of Brian was the strongest in my opinion. The Meaning of Life was a distant third.
Old 03-24-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I definitely agree that Life of Brian is a much better movie than Holy Grail. Holy Grail had some good gags, but Life of Brian is a much more cohesive movie, and its humor is a lot smarter IMO.
Old 03-25-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God, I love this movie.
Old 03-25-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hooray!
Old 03-25-04, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I want cities, dates and times NOW!
Old 03-25-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Awesome news! I just hope it plays somewhere around me. It's definitely my favourite Python film and I would love to see it in a theatre.
Old 03-25-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
This will have to be released on a least 50-100 screens if it ever wants to make it to Phoenix.

If it does, I'm there!
Old 03-25-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
I definitely agree that Life of Brian is a much better movie than Holy Grail. Holy Grail had some good gags, but Life of Brian is a much more cohesive movie, and its humor is a lot smarter IMO.
Absolutely.
Old 03-25-04, 10:12 AM
Suspended

This was the best news I heard yesterday......HELL, all week!
Old 03-25-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Except for the whole speech impediment joke...

I enjoy this movie because it hasn't been ruined by nerds like The Holy Grail has.
Old 03-25-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the "cohesive" thing may be the reason many think Life of Brian is worse. The episodical, sketchy structure of Holy Grail made it perhaps more Pythonesque (or however you wanna call it) to some.

I definitely prefer Life of Brian too, BTW. It's just about perfect, except maybe for the dated Star Wars parody.
Old 03-25-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I enjoy this movie because it hasn't been ruined by nerds like The Holy Grail has.
Ruined by nerds? You do realize the majority of viewers of ALL python films and shows ARE nerds. This is like saying "Those comic conventions would be cool if it wasn't for the damn comics"
Old 03-25-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Ruined by nerds? You do realize the majority of viewers of ALL python films and shows ARE nerds. This is like saying "Those comic conventions would be cool if it wasn't for the damn comics"
Not everyone who enjoys Python is a complete and utter nerd. I am talking about the fact that the movie was blown out of proportion by hardcore nerd fans who have seventeen different copies of the script and randomnly recite lines from the movie. It's a really funny movie, but a lot of nerds act like it is the funniest thing to ever have been made.
Old 03-25-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Complete and utter nerds, perhaps not, but the folks who enjoy and actually get the humor of Python aren't your typical Jocks. It's a specific taste to enjoy any of Pythons humor. Lumping it all to "nerds" ruining a film is rather silly. Could it be said that a bunch of Goths ruined Rocky Horror Picture show? I mean come on.. those crazy goths are the ones who see it every weekend at midnight.

See, generalizations aren't always true and smart to use.
Old 03-25-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Not everyone who enjoys Python is a complete and utter nerd. I am talking about the fact that the movie was blown out of proportion by hardcore nerd fans who have seventeen different copies of the script and randomnly recite lines from the movie. It's a really funny movie, but a lot of nerds act like it is the funniest thing to ever have been made.
Spoken like a nerd who is a little touchy about his nerdiness.
Old 03-25-04, 03:47 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Monty Python's "Life of Brian" to be re-released in theaters

Originally posted by NavinJohnson
"F**k off! We're the People's Front of Judea!"

Reuters really messed up here.
Glad I'm not the only one who caught this. What a hilarious mistake. Almost makes me wonder if the writer did it on purpose to amuse nerds like us

Who'd want to join the Judean Peoples Front anyway? SPLITERS!!!