Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need info about buying a guitar from ebay.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im considering buying a guitar from ebay but have no knowledge of the type I should get. Im going acoustic (Im a begginner) but would like to know if any of these begginner packs on ebay are worth buying. Check it out for yourself. thanx in advance.

http://instruments.listings.ebay.com/Guitar_Acoustic-Beginner-Packs_W0QQfromZR4QQsacategoryZ47066QQsocmdZListingItemList
Old 03-24-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The link doesnt seem to work, maybe a copy>paste will do the trick
Old 03-24-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first thought, at those prices, would be "garbage". But, in fairness, I haven't played one of those "whatever they are" (Titan? Who?) brands... So, I can't tell ya one way or the other with 100% certainty (although my gut tells me that those are crap-o-la)... What I will say though is this... Make sure you get at least a decent axe for starters with good string action or you'll most likely get discouraged and give it up.

IMHO, when buying a guitar, you should always look around locally if possible... Check out a few local stores, find something that grabs ya and then see if you can get a better price on the net. I use musiciansfriend a lot, they're a reliable company and have excellent prices.
Old 03-24-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beginner packs suck. Period. If you're actually interested inplaying, you'll want a real instrument less than 6 months later, so you might as well buy a moderately priced axe now. Some good cheap acoustic brands are Yamaha, Fender, and Takamine. I'm assuming you're willing to spend $200-300 though.

If/when you get an electric, the best deal by far is to get an Agile (replica guitar brand) which are better than Epiphones and much cheaper. $350 for a Les Paul with nice features, sound, and playability? Nice.

Definitely do what Zhivago says and go around checking the guitars out in person. Learn a few chords beforehand if you can just so you can see if they resonate nicely, etc. But then definitely buy online. Musician's Friend is good but their prices are the exact same as Guitar Center (they own MF) so eBay might be the way to go to get the cheapest guitar. Good luck finding one!
Old 03-24-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Definitely go to a guitar store and try a few out. Especially with acoustics, each different model/brand feels so differently in your hands. Figure out what you want to spend and go and look within that range, test a bunch out. Maybe a local store will have a bundle type sale for beginners or something.

If you can, try to learn a few chords like the above poster said. That way you can hear the sound that guitar makes as well as not look like a dork in front of everyone at the store
Old 03-24-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Avoid packages, avoid ebay really.

check out Daddy's Junky Music

http://www.daddys.com

for a nice used one

if you want a cheap new one, I highly recommend yamaha as making a great beginner acoustic guitar that can typically be had for around 150 bucks.
Old 03-25-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a Washburn acoustic to learn on about 10 years ago. They can be found for under $300 and have a GREAT sound.

I would look for a Washburn -- they're underrated.

Then again, you really need to play one in the store.

Just tell the salesguy you want to learn -- they will help you out, they get that all the time!
Old 03-25-04, 06:41 PM

Agreed - got to a music store and buy a cheapy to see if you stick it out - but avoid ebay and 'packs' - they are not necessary!

If you go 2nd hand, just check all the basics as best you can, but use common sense..if it looks,sounds and feels like shit, then it probably is!

T
Old 03-26-04, 10:02 AM

I just began playing in January. I was lucky that my father-in-law is a great guitarist so he went with me. That allowed me to hear the different guitars despite not having a clue on how to produce that music. Then it was just a matter of how much to spend. I ended up spending $200 on a Yamaha starter kit because it sounded decent and came with a lot of the things that will raise the price more than you expected (tuner, bag).

There was a used guitar that sounded great but was $300 before you throw in a bag, tuner, etc. And I don't mind playing guitar and loving it so much that I outgrow this one. Because that means I'll make this one the banger that I can bang around and bring anywhere or sell it or give it away to the next aspiring musician. I look forward to the day that people will hear me and say that the guitar is holding me back and not vice versa
Old 03-26-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

great posts thus far thanx, gp, what was the exact name of that yamaha kit
Old 03-26-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by gp98
I look forward to the day that people will hear me and say that the guitar is holding me back and not vice versa
nice way of putting it.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-04, 08:03 PM

I looked online and I'm pretty sure it's the Yamaha F310PKG Gigmaker. The MSRP is over $300 but you should be able to find it for $200 or less. I've really enjoyed it and it has a pretty good sound (real good for the price).
Old 03-28-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

although I agree with everyone about trying out guitars first and avoiding "beginner packages", i have bought guitars from ebay and feel that good deals can be found if you know what you want. i picked up a great Alvarez Yairi from ebay not too long ago at a great price.