Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith to Fans: "can some of you reign it in this week?"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

From Kevin's post on viewaskew.com:

I know it's the right of all 'net surfers to be far more outspoken and negative than they've dare be in real life, but can some of you reign it in this week?
I like reading this board. I don't necessarily read it just to see positive stuff, but I damn skippy don't read it to come across the "I'm entitled to my opinion" crap some folks feel the need to splooge. You didn't like "Yes, Dear"? Keep it to yourself for the next few days, wouldja? You hate Kilborn? Save your bile 'til Saturday. And for the love of Christ, let's leave any info about Rotten Tomatoes off the board 'til Monday. I've still got four more days of hardcore press to get through, and while I'm all for both sides of an issue, I'd rather wait to read the boo-hoo bullshit 'til after we open.

In an effort to help this along, here's some "Jersey Girl" perspective for ya'll...

1) The film's not gonna be a critical hit. It's an extremely sentimental film, and most critics don't like sentiment. Don't expect big, critical kudos this time around (in fact, we may be less well-reviewed than we were on "Strike Back"). The NY Times is gonna shred the flick. LA Times too, I'll bet. EW probably ain't gonna be onboard.

2) These are the movies that are DEFINITELY going to make more than us at the box office this weekend: Dawn of the Dead, The Passion of the Christ, Scooby Doo 2, The Ladykillers, Starsky and Hutch. These are the movies that are PROBABLY gonna make more than us at the box office this weekend: Taking Lives, Secret Window, Hidalgo, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Acccept it.

3) A killer opening number would be nice, but isn't necessary. We're only opening on 1600 screens this weekend, then going 2000 the weekend after. What we're looking for is longevity: audience word-of-mouth and solid numbers for a few weeks in a row. We've gotten shit-loads of press hits in advance of Friday, and the TV spots are all over the place. And while we won't have many of the critics on our side, if the movie plays as well with audiences as it has been playing in test, marketing, and awareness screenings over the course of the last year, we should glide along nicely on strong word-of-mouth. There's nothing else like it at the box office for the next few weeks, so that's good too.

4) Being contrary for the sake of being contrary (or "honest") is something I'll normally indulge, but this week, give me a break, alright? I mean, shit - we've gotten this board down to an *******-free zone, thanks to all the protocols we've put in place this last year. Don't be the worst kind of *******: the fan who's "keeping it real". If you're a fan, do me a favor and hold off on the "Why's Kevin doing all these shitty shows?" and "I'm really disappointed in this or that appearance" 'til after I get through this already intimidating uphill battle of trying to open this movie in the wake of "Gigli" and "Hurricane Bennifer". We've really been able to turn shit around for the last month, and my fingers are crossed for our theatrical life, so it sucks to come here - my home - and find T.P.'s* spouting off. I'm certainly not asking for you folks to blow sunshine up my ass; not at all. All I'm asking for is a little common courtesy: if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned.

* T.P. is the brother of Rod Tidwell, Cuba Gooding's character in "Jerry Maguire." T.P. was the constant voice of dissension, who liked to "Keep it real."
Old 03-24-04, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned. "

sounds like a member of the bush administration
Old 03-24-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, that reeks of desperation
Old 03-24-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we at least bitch about his vocabulary usage? It's "rein" not "reign".
Old 03-24-04, 09:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow, he's pretty much admitting that the film sucks and is going to bomb at the box office.
Old 03-24-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a blathering pussbag. His own characters are open and entitled to pop culture critiques and attacks, but a message board, one he DOES NOT HAVE TO READ is now effectively being censcored? What a disgrace to Jersey. I hope those blathering sicophants who trail at his heel savage his film -- if it deserves it. Don't let that chowderhead shut you up.
Old 03-24-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
I don't see him admitting either of those things, Groucho.

Still seems like a pretty silly request. If he's going to be running around promoting the movie, I don't see how he's going to have time to read any negative posts on his board that might make him sad. Is he worried about reports coming out saying 'Even his hardest fans on his own website dislike the film?'.
Old 03-24-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's essentially blaming Gigli and Hurricane Bennifer in advance so he has something to fall back on.
Old 03-24-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by balancer
" if you're not gonna say something nice, don't say anything at all... 'less you're looking to get banned. "

sounds like a member of the bush administration
Why don't you keep the political crap in the Other forum, where it belongs.
Old 03-24-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
[magnoliafan]**** you Kev, **** you up your stupid ass.[/magnoliafan]

I don't see why Kevin even bothers with spin control. He should just put the disclaimer up like he did at the beginning of Dogma
Old 03-24-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have not had any interest in this movie for some reason... maybe it will be a good rental.
Old 03-24-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Thought it was a good film, well worth the price of admission. I know I'll be seeing it again at the theater.
Old 03-24-04, 10:23 AM
Banned

Kevin Smith, just shut up you pansy-ass crybaby.
Old 03-24-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While Im a fan of Smith's movies this sounds like the shit he did after Mallrats bombed and he went in front of the indie crowd and apologized for the movie, which pissed me off because I liked it and felt like he was abandoning the few that supported him, especially at the box office. This just sounds like he's admitting it will bomb, my question is, why make it then and risk the studio's money if you know in advance the movie will tank, this doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement of Weinstein's faith in handing him a potential franchise picture in Green Hornet. Will he diss that movie before it's initial release also? " This movie wil be beaten at the box office by Star Wars 3, SpiderMan 3, etc, etc, etc."
Old 03-24-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Kevin seems a little worried that he may have made a movie too sappy for his hardcore "Jay & Silent Bob" fans, and not appealing enough to the rest of America.

I have to admit from the previews, it looks more like a made-for-TV movie than a theatrical release - but I'm a Kevin Smith fan, I'll reserve judgement and give the man my $7 this weekend. He's entertained me enough in the past to deserve that much from me.
Old 03-24-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive been his biggest fan since day one but I'm enough of a fan to see that his pictures have gotten worse and worse as they go along, at least in my opinion. Some genuine gut busting laughs at times followed by just bad pieces in each movie.
Old 03-24-04, 10:51 AM
Suspended

I'll be seeing it

Give the guy a break, he has to put up with a friend who's a big movie star that got hand-lovin by Cartman's jeniffer lopez hand puppet
Old 03-24-04, 10:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by harosa
Ive been his biggest fan since day one but I'm enough of a fan to see that his pictures have gotten worse and worse as they go along, at least in my opinion.
Chasing Amy is worse than Mallrats?
Old 03-24-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Looks like some of you didn't get the memo about reining it back on bashing smith.
Old 03-24-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
While I can't say I'm psyched to see Jersey Girl, I do feel a bit sorry for Smith -- a lot of the negative publicity this movie is getting really was beyond his control. Ah well.
Old 03-24-04, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Actually for me his movies have gotten better. I think Clerks is the weakest of the bunch, each one was a little better than the last and J&SBSB is the best. So, I'm anxious to see how Jersey Girl will be.
Old 03-24-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
You people are harsh. He is just asking the bashers to wait until AFTER they actually see the movie(i.e. the weekend) to bash it. And I don't think he is saying it will bomb in any shape or form. None of his movies have ever been top 10 B.O. material. He is just reiterating that this one will be no different so there really is no need for the excessive bashing.
Old 03-24-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Groucho, I meant the last few, forgive me, Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob are just not the equal of their parts, I did love alot of Chasing Amy, no joke.
Old 03-24-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by harosa
why make it then and risk the studio's money if you know in advance the movie will tank
it was originally thought that the ben/jen combo was money in the bank
Old 03-24-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
I think that Kevin is really worried about people just creating artifical negative buzz before they see it. He just wants people to see the movie before the decide whether or not the movie is good. Saying the movie sucks before they see it - exactly what people do on the internet.

If he came here and ce*********** us, that woudldn't be cool. But I think he's totally in bounds by ce***********g his own board for a whole week! Especially considering the type of posters on his board; it's a whole different crowd, folks. "One that he DOES NOT HAVE TO READ"? Okay, I guess. But I think that Geoff reading this board is sorta' obligatory.

I think his movies are pretty good. Clerks was funny at times. Mallrats is fun to watch with a bunch of friends, and has enough good parts to 'play in the background'. Chasing Amy is my favorite; right ahead of Dogma. And Jay and Silent Bob was ridiculously funny. So I'm not a HUGE Smith fan, but I sorta'-dig his movies.

Jersey Girl looks good to me. I'm hoping that it's on part with Chasing Amy or Jerry Maguire. That would be most excellent. I'll probably see it next week. I like ya' Kevin, but I like the Coens more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.