Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Can John Fogerty play CCR songs again?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-19-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Listening to my CCR Chronicle album...what great songs. I remember that John and his ex-mates had a big falling out and that essentially, he can't play CCR songs. Has that been resolved? I think it's ridiculous that the man who penned them cannot sing them.
Old 03-20-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pick this LIVE CD or DVD up from 1998 and you'll hear these:

CCR classics:
Born on the Bayou
Green River
Susie-Q
I Put a Spell on You
Who'll Stop the Rain
Down on the Corner
Bad Moon Rising
Fortunate Son
Proud Mary
Travelin' Band

Also includes a few of his solo hits:
Premonition
Almost Saturday Night
Rockin' All over the World
Joy of My Life
Centerfield
Swamp River Days
Hot Rod Heart
Old Man Down the Road
Old 03-20-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Can John Fogerty play CCR songs again?

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Listening to my CCR Chronicle album...what great songs. I remember that John and his ex-mates had a big falling out and that essentially, he can't play CCR songs. Has that been resolved? I think it's ridiculous that the man who penned them cannot sing them.
i think it was actually more fantasy vs. john than his mates...
Old 03-21-04, 06:22 AM
Banned

Did they play together again in 1985's LIVE AID?
Old 03-21-04, 11:17 AM
Retired

He's been playing them again for years, as evidenced by the 1998 live album above.

He eventually said screw it and just started playing them and paying the royalties to whoever has the rights.
Old 03-21-04, 02:10 PM

Basically, in order to get out of his putrid CCR-era contract with Fantasy Records, Fogerty had to give up the publishing rights to all of his Creedence songs. As his relations with Fantasy further deteriorated throughout the 1970's, Fogerty decided to walk away from his Creedence repertoire, and never perform them again. He certainly had the legal *right* to perform those songs -- a bitter Fogerty just wasn't inclined to.

Two things changed his mind:

1) In early 1987, Fogerty was invited to jam with Bob Dylan and George Harrison at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood. They wanted him to do a CCR song, and when he balked, Dylan warned him that "if you don't do 'Proud Mary', everybody is gonna remember it as a Tina Turner song." Fogerty, swayed by what he called Dylan's "inescapable logic", went through with it, performing a Creedence tune live for the first time in many years.

2) Not long afterward, Fogerty was visiting the Mississippi grave of bluesman Robert Johnson, another musical legend whose song ownership was in severe disarray. During this visit, Fogerty realized that, no matter who technically "owned" Johnson's songs, they belonged to Johnson forever; in the eyes of history, no one could take that away. This helped Fogerty reconcile his own situation, and free himself to start doing CCR songs again in good conscience.

And no, Creedence didn't play Live Aid; they never reunited after their 1972 breakup.
Old 03-22-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
1) In early 1987, Fogerty was invited to jam with Bob Dylan and George Harrison at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood. They wanted him to do a CCR song, and when he balked, Dylan warned him that "if you don't do 'Proud Mary', everybody is gonna remember it as a Tina Turner song." Fogerty, swayed by what he called Dylan's "inescapable logic", went through with it, performing a Creedence tune live for the first time in many years.

I actually have this recording. It was a Taj Mahal concert. A TERRIBLE recording though.
Old 07-10-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I came into this forum about to ask the same question as the OP, but since that's already been done, I might as well ask another Fogerty related question.

How are his live shows now? I see he's performing at the Minnesota Fairgrounds coming up (along with Johnny Lang) and I was thinking he might be worth checking out. I like his songs, but I'm kind of afraid that he might have lost any luster for performing he might have had.

Would it be worth the $20 to see Fogerty and Lang (I've never actually heard Lang, except for Lie to Me, but I am a fan of the blues rock genre)
Old 07-10-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Wazootyman
How are his live shows now? I see he's performing at the Minnesota Fairgrounds coming up (along with Johnny Lang) and I was thinking he might be worth checking out. I like his songs, but I'm kind of afraid that he might have lost any luster for performing he might have had.

Would it be worth the $20 to see Fogerty
I've never seen him live, but for only $20, I'd definitely give it a shot. Here're a couple of recent reviews:

Posted on Mon, Jun. 28, 2004
Fogerty delivers barrage of hits at Villa Montalvo
By Brad Kava

Mercury News

Veteran rocker John Fogerty told an almost-full house at Villa Montalvo's Garden Theatre that he had just finished recording a new album the day before the Friday night show that opened his national tour.

Trouble is, the album won't be out for a few more months. So Fogerty gave the rattle-your-jewelry Saratoga crowd 90 minutes of almost solid classic-rock hits, all done in a venue that had the intimacy of a back yard. A very nice back yard.

From the Creedence Clearwater Revival songbook there was a too-short ``Suzie Q,'' a politically relevant ``Fortunate Son,'' the wedding standard ``Proud Mary,'' ``Green River,'' ``Who'll Stop the Rain'' and ``Have You Ever Seen the Rain?'' There were later hits that sounded like old ones: ``Centerfield'' and ``Old Man Down the Road.'' And some rarities: ``Rockin' All Over the World'' and ``Blue Ridge Mountain Blues.''

The real beauty was in hearing songs often covered by others done in the voice that made them famous. The band, which included former Other Ones and Bruce Hornsby drummer John Molo, had a few first-night rough spots, but otherwise, there was no bad moon rising around this bend. Fogerty is definitely ready to play.

-----------------------

Review: Fogerty puts new life into old Creedence nuggets
Thursday, July 1, 2004

By GENE STOUT
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER POP MUSIC CRITIC

A nearly full moon rose above the trees Wednesday night at Marymoor Park as John Fogerty closed a near-flawless concert with "Bad Moon Rising," a classic tune from his days with Creedence Clearwater Revival.

The same thing happened at Fogerty's 1998 concert at Chateau Ste. Michelle, where the veteran rocker played a triumphant show after bouncing back from a bitter legal dispute that had fractured CCR years before.

Looking trim and fit at Marymoor, Fogerty powered through a 90-minute set filled with spirited renditions of "Born on the Bayou," "Green River," "Who'll Stop the Rain," "Lodi," "Down on the Corner" and other CCR favorites, as well as such solo tunes as "The Old Man Down the Road" and "Centerfield," which featured the singer-guitarist on a baseball bat-shaped guitar. Also featured were a bluegrass tune from his Blue Ridge Rangers days and a nod to Bo Diddley, an important influence early in his career.

If Fogerty was tired of playing songs that were hits so many years ago, it wasn't apparent in his performance. He infused them with fresh energy and enthusiasm, bringing the crowd to its feet with the fiery opening song, "Born on the Bayou."

"This is a young crowd -- young!" Fogerty said as he gazed at a sea of energetic, middle-aged concertgoers grooving to a high-energy blend of rock 'n' roll, blues, country and bluegrass.

Among those in the audience was Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac, which was scheduled to play the White River Amphitheatre Thursday night. Among those in Fogerty's talented band was guitarist Billy Burnette, who played with Fleetwood Mac for seven years.

Fogerty could have relied more on band members on many of the songs, but chose to do most of the heavy lifting himself. Changing guitars for nearly every song, he played crisp leads while singing in a strong, powerful voice that has aged well. His trademark yowl was still a thrill to hear.

Fogerty introduced his band as "the best musicians he has ever had the pleasure of playing with," a dig at his former CCR bandmates, with whom he recorded an amazing 19 singles in five years. Surviving members formed Creedence Clearwater Revisited, enlisting a new singer to take Fogerty's place.

For a crowd-pleasing "Suzy Q," CCR's first big hit in 1968, Fogerty played a Rickenbacker guitar similar to a model he used at the 1969 Woodstock festival. A high-revving "Up Around the Bend" brought wide grins to concertgoers' faces, while the traditional "Midnight Special" was greeted with handclaps. But Fogerty seemed disappointed by a lackluster singalong during "Cotton Fields (the Cotton Song)."

Fogerty finished his show with the Delta blues-influenced "The Old Man Down the Road," the 1975 hit "Rockin' All Over the World" and the swamp-boogie classic "Bad Moon Rising."

The singer-guitarist returned for a short, high-powered encore featuring two CCR megahits, "Fortunate Son" and "Proud Mary."
Old 07-11-04, 11:24 PM
Banned

John Fogerty and new band belt out some CCR it's on DVD look for it.
Old 07-18-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's actually kind of scary just how good Fogerty still is, as was evidenced when he played the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Concert and then brought out the Premonition DVD/CD. I'd jump on the chance to see him live .
Old 07-19-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, that's good to hear, I got tickets and the show is Saturday night.
Old 07-19-04, 12:48 PM

just to give you guys a little heads up, john fogerty is playing on july 28th at the pacific ampitheater in the orange county fairgrounds.