Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why No Mario Tennis in the US??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why No Mario Tennis in the US??

I remember hearing reports that Mario Tennis was officially announced for release at some indefinite date. But I've seen pre-orders for European version on British videogame sites but I haven't seen/heard anything about the US release.

What gives?
Old 03-17-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nintendo is expected to give a US release date at E3.
Old 03-17-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked Mario Golf (N64). I REALLY liked Mario Tennis (N64). I LOOOOVE Mario Golf (GC).
So as you can bet, I'm really looking forward to the new Tennis game.
Old 03-17-04, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I thought it was announced? Las I heard the game will be coming out around Christmas.
Old 03-17-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sports games sell well in the US, its coming. Wait for E3 or the end of March.

(btw, Europe got Mario Kart DD earlier than we did too, but not by much)
Old 03-18-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really loved Mario tennis (N64). It's better than any subsequent tennis game on the newer systems in my opinion. I really hope it gets a US release.
Old 03-18-04, 08:43 AM

Am I the only one that is getting tired of Mario. (I own a Gamecube so don't think I'm trying to start a fight, because I'm not) All I'm saying is that I'm sure this will be a great playing game, but enough with the mario crap. I would love to play the game but with other characters and different personalities. Maybe something like Hotshots characters but with tennis for example. Does anyone else feel like they have finally drained these characters dry.
Old 03-18-04, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No announcement? A sure sign that Nintendo is going the way of Sega.
Old 03-18-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
Am I the only one that is getting tired of Mario.
No... I have a Gamecube too, but I've never really seen the appeal of Mario as a character. A Mario title usually = "quality", so the games are often top notch, but the characters they use are a total turn off.

I mean, think about it, who wants to play as a short, fat plumber that looks like a miniature Ron Jeremy?

Failure to expand character base... just another sure sign that Nintendo is going the way of Sega.
Old 03-18-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cheapskate
No... I have a Gamecube too, but I've never really seen the appeal of Mario as a character. A Mario title usually = "quality", so the games are often top notch, but the characters they use are a total turn off.

I mean, think about it, who wants to play as a short, fat plumber that looks like a miniature Ron Jeremy?

Failure to expand character base... just another sure sign that Nintendo is going the way of Sega.

wow... insightful ... thanks for the post, it really had a lot to do with mario tennis getting a us release date.
Old 03-18-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
Am I the only one that is getting tired of Mario. (I own a Gamecube so don't think I'm trying to start a fight, because I'm not) All I'm saying is that I'm sure this will be a great playing game, but enough with the mario crap. I would love to play the game but with other characters and different personalities. Maybe something like Hotshots characters but with tennis for example. Does anyone else feel like they have finally drained these characters dry.
No. They have enough of those on the market. I think the Mario characters are unique. Much better than any other VG brand character out there.
Old 03-18-04, 12:53 PM

Yeah, lets not play all this repetetive mario crap, give me something unique and different like Madden 2005 and NBA 2005.
Old 03-18-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
Yeah, lets not play all this repetetive mario crap, give me something unique and different like Madden 2005 and NBA 2005.
No, no, no... I bought a Gamecube for the blinding Resident Evil series; especially the highly original REMAKE! Not to mention the one of a kind Pac Man World 2 and those nifty Star Wars games using characters from waaaay out of left field

I hear they're already working on a Madden 2006!
Old 03-18-04, 02:39 PM

I'm not talking about a Sports sim that uses the real players. Of course they are going to be pretty much all alike only with a few updates. And for your information I can't stand the football, basketball, etc.. games. I Don't play them. I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish with your post making fun of what I had wrote unless you are just trying to get a rise out of me. I was being serious about the characters. I like Mario for Mario games as in Mario 64, Sunshine and all the Mario Bros before that. But I feel that they could possibly make a golf game, Tennis game, That is of the same great Quality with a new set of personalities.

OR, maybe I'm wrong and we all really can't wait for Mario Hockey, Mario Baseball, Mario Table Tennis or how about Mario BMX Underground to jump on the new popular "Underground" Band wagon.
Old 03-18-04, 03:05 PM

I'd be all about Mario BMX XXX.
Old 03-18-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by illennium
I'd be all about Mario BMX XXX.
Topless Peach!
Old 03-18-04, 05:14 PM

I get what you mean DARTH, its cool. I wasn't directing that at anyone in particular, there should have been a at the end of it. We played the hell out of the original Mario Tennis, it was made by Camelot Soft I think, and they're doing the Gamecube version as well. .
Old 03-19-04, 07:09 AM

I get what you mean DARTH, its cool. I wasn't directing that at anyone in particular, there should have been a at the end of it. We played the hell out of the original Mario Tennis, it was made by Camelot Soft I think, and they're doing the Gamecube version as well. .
No hard feelings. I wasn't trying to be a dick either.

Mario BMX XXX, Now that was funny!!!
Old 03-19-04, 08:27 AM

I never owned the N64 Mario games. I never had an NES and played Mario (other than a tiny bit in emulators).

But since the games are good, that's what matters most. I don't look at it and say "I'm a short, fat plumber - this sucks!". If the game is good, I don't care WHO the character looks like.

But considering sales of Mario games... Mario still sells. So, they will still make Mario games.